Make a donation

Author Topic: Vibratechnics lower engine mount  (Read 12570 times)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Vibratechnics lower engine mount
« on: August 27, 2012, 09:25:53 am »
WHY

As time goes on, the OEM engine mounts perish. This allows engine movement during acceleration. Any energy that is spent moving the engine in the engine bay is energy that isn't used by the front wheels i.e. wasted.

Additionally, aftermarket down pipes (particularly with inadequate or short flexi pipes) may fail under this excessive engine movement.

The front subframe has to be dropped for fitting, so a realignment afterwards is strongly advised. As I wanted to have my car aligned anyway, I felt it was the perfect time to get the mount installed.

SOURCING

Our very own vRSAlex of AKS Tuning is a supplier, and is the cheapest I found.

FITTING

Of course, another job for vRSAlex. Takes 1 hour, and he is able to provide the alignment as well. (He has set my car up beautifully. It feels like a totally different car.)

OTHER VERSIONS

THS
VWR
BlackForest Industries
ECS

PLUS POINTS

Subjectively the car feels much more taut and firm and the engine feels a little torquier (although I did have a larger intercooler and some less ristrictive pipework fitted at the same time which could explain the torque.)

MINUS POINTS

At idle, particularly when cold, there is definitely increased NVH in the cabin. It feels a bit like a rough diesel. Certainly nothing unbearable. When it's warmed up and when you're cruising, it's completely unnoticeable. I've been told it'll take a couple of weeks to bed in so I'm hoping that NVH at idle will soften slightly

SUMMARY

There are cheaper options out there, but Vibratechnics are more robust than these. vRSAlex mentions that THS mounts may wear over time, but the Vibratechnics are will outlive the life of the car.

The upper mounts are quote pricey, but definitely something I'll look to do when I have the money. Overall it's a thumbs up from me thus far.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2012, 09:27:34 pm by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
Re: Vibratechnics lower engine mount
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2012, 10:13:01 am »
Had this fitted a few months ago by JKM - certainly seems to have reduced the wheel hop phenomenon

Managed to pick up the other 2 mounts on the cheap (used and VWR versions) but they're same as VT anyway!

Will hopefully be getting AKS to fit them soon!

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2012, 12:35:09 pm »
Just the one hour for the fitting on the mount  :happy2:

By far the best mount out there.  A lot less vibration than other versions I've fitted and owned in the past.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2012, 03:36:33 pm »

By far the best mount out there.  A lot less vibration than other versions I've fitted and owned in the past.

Cheers Alex. Might need you to get hold of the Ferodos for me too!

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2012, 09:27:18 pm »

oops i got the price of the mount and the fitting cost mixed up didn't i?

changed  :happy2:
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler

Offline dan1985

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Durham Collective
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 07:24:11 am »

Are you able to do group buys on the mounts Alex?

I'm after a set for my mk4 R32. Best price I've found for full set of fast road mounts is just shy of £500

www.durhamcollective.co.uk  
North East VAG Owners Club

wauler43

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 05:00:56 pm »
Hi guys new to the site and going through the posts on the lower mount topics, you may be interested that VWR are now supplying a totally different lower mount not made by vibra technics i have tried both and found some difference with the new ones ( i have tried both ) the main things from my experience is the ease of fitment, build quality, slightly firmer without increased vibration even on my DSG car oh and they are a nice blue colour.
It might be worth talking to matty at vwr if you are looking for a group buy ive always found him helpful.

Hope this helps

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 07:57:01 pm »
Hi guys new to the site and going through the posts on the lower mount topics, you may be interested that VWR are now supplying a totally different lower mount not made by vibra technics i have tried both and found some difference with the new ones ( i have tried both ) the main things from my experience is the ease of fitment, build quality, slightly firmer without increased vibration even on my DSG car oh and they are a nice blue colour.
It might be worth talking to matty at vwr if you are looking for a group buy ive always found him helpful.

Hope this helps

Just give kpm a call and ask how long the new VWR mount lasts!  Then you will switch back to the vt mount quite quickly.

wauler43

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2012, 08:28:19 pm »
are you talking about the latest blue version or the black ones, ive had no problems with either.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2012, 08:46:57 pm »
^^^^
No problems whatsoever with my 'VWR' lower engine mount - The earlier version black one.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2012, 09:20:21 pm »
The latest blue ones.

Only what I have been informed, but they fall apart.

The vt 'black' mounts are spot on and I've seen ones over 3 years old that are still going strong.

Offline s3kel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2012, 11:08:28 pm »
Hi alex could you pm me a price for this for the audi s3 8p3 ,cheers

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2012, 10:13:28 pm »
I think it's a good idea to replace all 3 engine mounts rather than just the lower engine mount. This is to achieve an even balance and spread the loads/stresses.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2012, 10:16:06 pm »
I think it's a good idea to replace all 3 engine mounts rather than just the lower engine mount. This is to achieve an even balance and spread the loads/stresses.

I agree - but with all the other work I was having done by Alex that weekend I was severely short on funds and could only afford the lower engine mount. Additionally, as I was getting an alignment done it was the most sensible one to change.

Alex informs me that the lower mount is the one that will make the greatest difference, and whilst I intend on getting the others changed when I can afford it, he mentions it's not imperative to do so right away.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2012, 10:24:11 pm »

I agree - but with all the other work I was having done by Alex that weekend I was severely short on funds and could only afford the lower engine mount. Additionally, as I was getting an alignment done it was the most sensible one to change.

Alex informs me that the lower mount is the one that will make the greatest difference, and whilst I intend on getting the others changed when I can afford it, he mentions it's not imperative to do so right away.

....I did exactly the same as you and had the other two mounts done later (just a few weeks later).

It's all in my Review: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,5082.0.html

I also agree with Alex  :happy2: