Make a donation

Author Topic: Interesting facts!  (Read 8118 times)

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Re: Interesting facts!
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2012, 11:26:12 am »
Are they all done by the same driver ? If not then the stats are pointless  :evilgrin:

2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2012, 11:28:28 am »
Are they all done by the same driver ? If not then the stats are pointless  :evilgrin:

Don't think so

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

R32UK

« Reply #32 on: August 28, 2012, 11:33:03 am »

Don't think so

No i wouldnt have thought so either. Apart from the TG track times... but its hard to ignore the general trend that the R32 seems to make up for the lower power/weight ratio around a track.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #33 on: August 28, 2012, 11:48:34 am »
Surprised how much quicker the R32 is than the Ed30 on lap times, especially considering the power to weight ratio when both are stock is neigh on identical.

why? it's quicker than the BMW 130i around the Top Gear test track too, and that's a rear wheel drive "Ultimate Driving Machine".

lap times are meaningless in the real life, but clearly it's a quick car.

i know what the OP is trying to do - he's trying to make a serious point in a slightly farcical way. ultimately all he's trying to say is that to compare them directly would be to miss the point. they are different, and to different people one is better than another but there is no subjective or objective measure that will separate them.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2012, 11:51:38 am by sub39h »
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #34 on: August 28, 2012, 12:20:12 pm »
Mat,

Programmable race Haldex controller......any good?

I've been offered one at a decent price that is for the .:R and have been sitting on the fence over it!

Back on topic I've driven both the Ed30 and the R32. If they both were stock then for an all weather A to B car the R32 is definitely the better car. With like for like handling mods I'd reckon the R32 would still be the better car too, factor in all weather grip and you'd go for the R32 every time. However factor in fuel consumption and tune ability and the ED30 is easily the obvious car to go for. In fact just adding a remap it would be the ED30.

Give the ED30 4WD and some extra power, call it a MKVI Golf .:R and you have the best of both worlds :wink:
Golf R gone.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: August 28, 2012, 12:23:54 pm »
Yeah John makes the system work better. Which one is it ?

R32UK

« Reply #36 on: August 28, 2012, 12:41:22 pm »

i know what the OP is trying to do - he's trying to make a serious point in a slightly farcical way. ultimately all he's trying to say is that to compare them directly would be to miss the point. they are different, and to different people one is better than another but there is no subjective or objective measure that will separate them.

:happy2: excatly!

It just seems that on here (which is understandable being a gti forum) that every one raves on about the same 'points' and the same conclusion is reached everytime. Its always nice to hear a more balanced discussion and real opinions of people that have owned both.

... an open discussion if you like of real experiences and positives and negatives about each is going to be much more helpful to someone looking over this thread than someone that puts ' :indifferent:'

R32UK

« Reply #37 on: August 28, 2012, 12:43:59 pm »
Just to add... my biggest gripe about the ed30 has to be the turbo lag. Whilst its great when it gets going and screams all the way to the red line, I found my (revo'd) k03 mk6 gti much more responsive and probably very similar in performance to a mapped Ed30.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: August 28, 2012, 12:48:32 pm »
Is your ed30 mapped?

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #39 on: August 28, 2012, 01:05:00 pm »
How much difference does mapping make to pick up ? I miss the ko3 spool up time a bit  now I have a ko4

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #40 on: August 28, 2012, 01:58:13 pm »
You can't change the point at which they spool however what that means is the K04 can last longer up the rev range where the K03 starts to run out of breath.

The Mk6 GTI is an IHI turbo not a K03.  :smiley:

R32UK

R32UK

« Reply #42 on: August 28, 2012, 02:53:28 pm »
You can't change the point at which they spool however what that means is the K04 can last longer up the rev range where the K03 starts to run out of breath.

Im pretty sure the mk6 gti is a k03... but i stand to be corrected.

The k03 definately spools quicker than the k04.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2012, 03:04:03 pm »

the Mk6 is definitely an IHI turbo

and i believe Stattler said he had some dyno runs that demonstrated that the K04 doesn't spool any slower than a K03
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

R32UK

« Reply #44 on: August 28, 2012, 03:18:33 pm »

the Mk6 is definitely an IHI turbo

and i believe Stattler said he had some dyno runs that demonstrated that the K04 doesn't spool any slower than a K03

Dont IHI make a k03 turbo?  It slightly different to the turbo on the mk5 GTi but a k03 none the less?? :ashamed: