Make a donation

Author Topic: Destination for a 3-4 day trip?  (Read 4559 times)

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Re: Destination for a 3-4 day trip?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2012, 09:04:27 pm »
Prague is a delight. I've been a couple of times and would thoroughly recommend it.
'07 Red manual

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2012, 09:10:36 pm »
good good planning to go there next year hopefully!   :drinking:

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2012, 09:17:49 pm »
any one been to prague??

Went there last year  :happy2:

R32UK

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2012, 09:18:38 pm »
Croatia... dubrovnik  :happy2:

one of the most beautiful cities I have ever been to. Quite cheap if you know where to look for accomodation. Some amazing islands to visit whilst you are there too.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/SmartDeals-g295371-Dubrovnik_Dubrovnik_Neretva_County_Dalmatia-Hotel-Deals.html

Offline jhtrophy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 5
  • Oh no it's a diesel
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2012, 09:22:14 pm »
French alps, warm, pretty, lots of places to swim.
BMW 335d msport touring lci. Auto, estate and diesel! Oh no

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2012, 09:29:10 pm »
I recently went to Lagos, Portugal for 4 days.  Amazing place, cost buttons.  Blue sea, clean sand, hundreds of caves to explore.  Fresh seafood and the local beer (sagres) is about 50p a can.  We walked for 20 mins through caves and had a beach to ourselves.  It's quite a historic place but full of nightlife (American/Canadian students galore).

Defo worth a look! I think we paid £450 for a 4 star hotel, flights and transfer.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2012, 10:16:15 pm »

If you have never been before I'd definitely recommend Venice too. Absolutely mesmerising place with so much history it will make your head spin. Worth paying a little extra and stopping in Venice rather than on the mainland too.

....Critical what time of year you visit Venice. Avoid the tourist season, it's heaving and also stinky and lots of mosquito's in the surrounding area. I worked there for a short while: Palazzo Dario on the Grand Canal and have visited many times. Venice is very exotic though.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2012, 10:26:10 pm »
Apart from the places mentioned (Berlin is a great place and as interesting a place as I've been), my vote goes to Sicily, incredible history with loads of sites/ruins to visit, some lovely towns and villages and some great food, especially the fish.

If you have never been before I'd definitely recommend Venice too. Absolutely mesmerising place with so much history it will make your head spin. Worth paying a little extra and stopping in Venice rather than on the mainland too.

....Critical what time of year you visit Venice. Avoid the tourist season, it's heaving and also stinky and lots of mosquito's in the surrounding area. I worked there for a short while: Palazzo Dario on the Grand Canal and have visited many times. Venice is very exotic though.

My wife keeps on about taking her to Venice and staying in the Hotel Danieli, sounds like the plastic might be taking a hammering!!

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2012, 10:26:59 pm »
Benidorm!  :jumpmove:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2012, 10:30:08 pm »
^^^^ cultural capital of the world!!  :signLOL:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

MPS

Re: Re: Destination for a 3-4 day trip?
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2012, 10:47:28 pm »
+1 for Dubrovnik, I stayed in the little village of Cavtat (pronounced tsavtat) in May which is a cheap 30 bus ride up the coast from Dubrovnik. Or you can take the water taxi there and back if you prefer, it's a great way to arrive in the Medieval walled city. When you jump off the boat you are right in the city, unlike getting off at the bus stop which involves a 15 minute walk down to the old town walls itself.

Cavtat is nice, only a couple of beaches, low key nightlife - no nightclubs, plenty of bars, restaurants and cafes to go at though.

If you visit Dubrovnik I highly recommend taking the cable car up to the summit of Mount Srd, the views from the top are spectacular. Dubrovnik 700ft below you, Lokrum and Elafiti isles surrounding that (all of which you can visit by boat) and the Stunning Adriatic sea stretching out to the horizon. There are loads of Museums in Dub too if that's your thing.

We also booked an excursion to Mostar in Bosnia with its new Old Ottoman bridge (Destroyed by shelling in the 90's Bosnian War and restored in 2005 at a not insignificant sum of $10 million USD, no, war really does not make sense!) - a town where they are slowly regaining their trust in one another, Ethnic Muslims (Bosniaks), Serbs (Orthodox Christian) and Croats (Roman Catholic). Shocking scars of war still are in plain sight with shell damaged buildings dotted about everywhere and the thousands of graves in the town cemetery, most of which to the young men who were only in their 20s or late teens when they died. :( A very sobering place to visit but it makes you appreciate what you have. All the while the town is juxtaposed by having a stunning surrounding countryside. The tour guides are very informative and are not scared of telling you all about what went on in the war so don't be afraid to ask tactfully if you wish! Emotions and feelings are understandably still raw with many of the towns inhabitants though.

Shell damage is not too hard to spot in Dubrovnik too, almost hard to believe only 20 years ago it was being pointlessly  shelled by the Serbian authorities of the time. A shocking criminal act on an innocent civilian town. Oh well, hope I haven't put you off after all that! Lol

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 06:13:04 am »
Rome gets my vote,went in march-april this year & def go back.So much to see. :happy2:
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 08:35:31 am »
Methinks that PDT is now wonderfully spoilt for choice and has info for holiday break destinations for a long time to come  :happy2: The power of the forum  :grouphug:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 10:49:02 am »
barcelona  :happy2: beach, culture and food was excellent and if your lucky go see barca play amazing or what I found really good for a weekend break for me and the misses very classy and good for couple Sardinia if your gonna break the bank or Tuscany

Great minds................. I was going to suggest Barcelona or Tuscany depends on if you want sights/hustle and bustle (Barca) or calm romantic getaway (Tuscany).

Lots to do and see in and around Barcelona, spent a while there myself as used to have a GF from Sabadell just up the road from Barca, we drove from Barcelona upto St Tropez (to visit my aunt/uncle) and on to Monaco, had 4 days around there, lots of nice places to eat and great for people watching in St. Trop harbour cafes/restaurants admiring the super yachts  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 11:12:51 am »

Lots to do and see in and around Barcelona, spent a while there myself as used to have a GF from Sabadell just up the road from Barca, we drove from Barcelona upto St Tropez (to visit my aunt/uncle) and on to Monaco, had 4 days around there, lots of nice places to eat and great for people watching in St. Trop harbour cafes/restaurants admiring the super yachts  :happy2:

....Yum-yum! Latino GF's  :party: I very nearly emigrated to Venezuela due to one. Hola!! That BT TV ad must remind you of good times.