Make a donation

Author Topic: Wheel/suspension help needed  (Read 1822 times)

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Wheel/suspension help needed
« on: August 29, 2012, 08:08:46 pm »
I have noticed that my front passenger side wheel sticks out further than my drivers side when the wheels are pointing straight ahead, there is about a 10mm difference in where the wheel is on either side.  Is this normal??  I have TT arms fitted but am wondering if something is wrong?  :confused: :confused:
Black 2007 GTI Manual, Stage 3 K04, R32 Bumper/Exhaust, WALK, adj rear ARB, KW1's, Twintercooler, Twintake, 18's (winters), 19's (summer) modified dectane LED rear lights, NQSBBK, Forge dump valve, Xenon look headlights with 5000k HID, 3" downpipe with sports cat, TT wishbones, uprated HPFP, Sach Uprated Clutch, Quaife LSD, VT & THS Engine Mounts.
To be fitted: Reverse Camera & uprated headunit.

Future plans: De-dent & Detail

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
Re: Wheel/suspension help needed
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 08:15:40 pm »
Sounds a bit odd! Any odd noises? I would get it checked out!

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 08:21:48 pm »
No odd noises, car doesn't drive any differently (no pulling either side etc...) 

Does anyone know if there are any adjustments i can do to get the wheels the same distance from the edge of the wing on both sides?

I have been trying to fit my LM reps but i have been putting the wheel on the front passenger side so it has been sticking out much further than it should be
Black 2007 GTI Manual, Stage 3 K04, R32 Bumper/Exhaust, WALK, adj rear ARB, KW1's, Twintercooler, Twintake, 18's (winters), 19's (summer) modified dectane LED rear lights, NQSBBK, Forge dump valve, Xenon look headlights with 5000k HID, 3" downpipe with sports cat, TT wishbones, uprated HPFP, Sach Uprated Clutch, Quaife LSD, VT & THS Engine Mounts.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 08:38:11 pm »
Shouldn't be different at all!

I'd say one of the arms has got mixed up and you have one of each on there!
Golf R gone.

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 08:48:17 pm »
Thanks Hurdy, anyway of looking at them and knowing if this is the case?

I'm hoping it something simple  :party:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 09:44:54 pm »
You should be able to tell by looking. The TT arms are alloy and the Golf ones are cast steel. I don't have any pics of comparisons but there are definitely some one here as I've seen them.

* goes hunting for pics*

Golf R gone.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 09:52:06 pm »
Golf R gone.

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 07:31:13 pm »
Had a quick look under the car both sides are definetly the alloy TT wishbones, is there anyway they can be fitted incorrectly?

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 07:38:55 pm »
Has the car been a write off???? Could have been in an accident. How long have you had it fella.

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 08:39:41 pm »
I've had the car about a year and a half, I bought it from the Carshop so I don't think its been in any accidents (had HPI check done when I bought it) on closer inspection I have noticed that the passenger side wheel is slightly closer to the brake caliper (i have the NQBBK fitted) than on the driver side, i am going to swap wheels at the weekend to see if that makes any difference.

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 09:00:02 pm »
What wheels do you have on mate. Monza's? If so one could be genuine the other could be aftermarket. If they are pescys one could be a vz. Do you have any pics?

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 08:33:09 pm »
I have a set of Audi rims (sorry dont know the name but they have 5 spokes also cant fiind my dig camera) I have had a look at both front wheels and the passenger side wheel spokes do seem to stick out further than the drivers side, i am goingto swap the wheels tomorrow and see if it makes a difference. 

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2012, 09:51:41 pm »
1st page on the link below is a pic of direct comparison.  :happy2:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/a3-s3-sportback-8p-chassis/71940-tt-suspension-arms-fitted-my-a3.html

Shame on you Hurdy for not refering to this link from our own forum  :P

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,41189.msg481726.html#msg481726

My bet is one TT arm and one Cupra/S3 arm, both are alloy but very different in length. Get under the car and read the ETKA numbers on both is my advice  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline big al

• Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 93
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2012, 11:05:52 pm »
Could it be that the bodywork is different?
When I let all the air out of my suspension I noticed one arch touched the rim, the other tucked in.
Found it was because the arch had been damaged and then repaired.

Offline Syrag64

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Wheel/suspension help needed (solved)
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 12:16:10 pm »
Problem solved, I swapped the rear drivers wheel with the front and now all is well again, looks like i have a non genuine audi alloy :fighting:

Thanks for all the replies guys  :drinking: