Make a donation

Author Topic: Revo stage one  (Read 2747 times)

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Revo stage one
« on: August 29, 2012, 08:44:48 pm »
Hi all,

I was down at my local Revo dealer enquiring about a remap today and would like some of your opinions please.

My question is, is it a spikey map or more progressive?  For instance, is the car always just on the edge of boost and wanting to go mad, or is it more gentle but still pulls like a train?

My last car had a remap and was like a pitbull on a lead, although this was great, it was annoying sometimes.  I want something more subtle this time.  Revo is really handy for me and I'm not really willing to travel for miles to get something else done.

Also, what are your opinions on mpg (driving sensibly and heavy footed), and wheel spin?

Thanks  :smiley:

Offline Hurdy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
Re: Revo stage one
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 09:55:16 pm »
Recent mods have been done to the Revo map. You can have the progressive throttle map too which some people prefer.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,50936.0.html
Golf R gone.

justsean

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 09:58:32 am »
I had 2 versions of the REVO map, the first one was a lot more aggressive - wheelspin in almost every gear as boost was wanting to go straight away.

Second 'update' was the progressive map which is way better. drives like normal but still awesome speed when you give it a little more on the peddle. much more of a 'if you want to go fast, push the peddle' way of distributing power rather than the previous 'always on' mode.

I find it much nicer as it matches my driving style, fast when I want it to be! and allows the tyres to get some grip too before the full power hits it - also seen vastly improved fuel efficiency from 260miles to a tank to 330miles to a tank (mixed driving/motorway and includes the odd 'spirited drive'), as driving round town just using light throttle it doesn't open up the flood gates as early on...I love it  :grin:

EDIT: should note, the initial remap was at full REVO standard cost, the progressive update was a free update from REVO but I was charged minor labour by my local REVO dealer to apply it. definitely worth it!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:01:11 am by justsean »

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 01:48:54 pm »
i have the non progressive stg1 map (ED30) and its easily controllable, just needs some deft footwork.
Seems more of a style issue and your own preference.
If you want the full pedal travel available to control then go progressive map.
Either way youll love it, plus they should help out if you want to change.

fwiw the revo delivery was way more progressive than an old APR map I had, these days both APR and REVO seem to have really improved things.

I drive sensibly 99% of the time, with a 1% hoon and the non progessive is fine for me
(caveat I havent actually tried the progressive map  :signLOL:)

Dont forget the REVO SPS allows you to adjust BoostTimingFuel values, which to some extent tailors the delivery agressiveness of either REVO map. Mine currently has lower Boost and Timing values to ensure my clutch is given an easier time

Important thing is that you map it  :happy2:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 09:43:01 pm »
Thanks for your replies, they were helpfull. 

I booked the car in today for the 14th, it was the earliest slot I could get but it gives me a couple of weeks fully think about it and cancel if I want.  I will be going for the SPS so I can switch it back to standard when needed.  It will be handy for the winter, going into VW and to stop me hooning around all the time.

The whole reason I got the Golf was to give me something quick but also good on fuel at the same time.  My last 2 cars were horrendous on fuel after the modding bug and this car was meant to stop that!  I don't want to muck this up and waste nearly £800.  What to do  :confused:  (I think I already know . . . . . . lol)

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 10:26:53 pm »
Thanks for your replies, they were helpfull. 

I booked the car in today for the 14th, it was the earliest slot I could get but it gives me a couple of weeks fully think about it and cancel if I want.  I will be going for the SPS so I can switch it back to standard when needed.  It will be handy for the winter, going into VW and to stop me hooning around all the time.

The whole reason I got the Golf was to give me something quick but also good on fuel at the same time.  My last 2 cars were horrendous on fuel after the modding bug and this car was meant to stop that!  I don't want to muck this up and waste nearly £800.  What to do  :confused:  (I think I already know . . . . . . lol)

I was just like you back in jan this year but look at what I did since..(look at my signature)

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 11:09:52 pm »

Recent mods have been done to the Revo map. You can have the progressive throttle map too which some people prefer.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,50936.0.html

....The OP hasn't said whether his is a K03 or K04 car.

I can tell you what Revo Stage 1 is like on a K03 car but not a K04.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Meallbhan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 11:31:06 pm »

....The OP hasn't said whether his is a K03 or K04 car.

I can tell you what Revo Stage 1 is like on a K03 car but not a K04.
[/quote]

I think, from reading about it's a K03?  Its a standard 2005 GTI.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 12:40:25 am »

I think, from reading about it's a K03?  Its a standard 2005 GTI.

....A 2005 GTI is definitely a K03 turbo unless it has had a K04 conversion.

Revo Stage 1 on my Mk5 05-plate, 06-build GTI delivered an immediately noticeable increase in power but not all in an aggressive way. It's not inclined to wheelspin every time you touch the throttle and it doesn't feel like an on-off switch. Of course, power delivery is always controllable by how you use your right foot.

Power and torque will depend on what other performance hardware modifications your car is fitted with.

The difference between Revo Stage 1 and Stage 2 is noticeable but nothing like as much as between standard and Stage 1.

The Mk5 GTI is a fast and fun car as standard and I would suggest it's best to get to know the car well as standard before considering any performance mods. Also by doing it that way you'll understand and appreciate the differences. If you are already very experienced at modding cars and come from a more powerful car, then it's a different matter.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!