Make a donation

Author Topic: Just drove a CLK55 AMG  (Read 720 times)

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
Just drove a CLK55 AMG
« on: September 01, 2012, 05:42:19 pm »
Just drove my friends cab, GEN 2 NA version. Engine is something else, noise is amazing. Took it for a nice spirited drive with the roof down. Really nice to drive.

Jumped back In to my Golf, thought it would feel boring and dull. Quite the opposite. Steering is miles better, so much more feel and response. Feels great having a manual box too. Can't compete with engine noise or power :sad1:

Think it's time for stage 1 soon :driver:

Just shows a hatch made around the same time can still compete with high end sports cars such as AMGs for pure driving fun

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Just drove a CLK55 AMG
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 05:46:35 pm »
A few years ago Car magazine took loads of sports cars out on a giant group test. GT3, R8, RS4 and some others I can't remember. They took a GTI along as an "everyman" benchmark.

They mentioned that on a B road blast even the GT3 was struggling to lose the GTI! A rear drive track weapon with twice the hp and a price tag 4x as big.

The GTI really is all things to all men :notworthy:
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 06:35:21 pm »
In stock form the GTI really is a good car, just the lack of power that lets it down. Good thing it's so easily tuneable.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 07:59:34 pm »
Just drove my friends cab, GEN 2 NA version. Engine is something else, noise is amazing. Took it for a nice spirited drive with the roof down. Really nice to drive.

Jumped back In to my Golf, thought it would feel boring and dull. Quite the opposite. Steering is miles better, so much more feel and response. Feels great having a manual box too. Can't compete with engine noise or power :sad1:

Think it's time for stage 1 soon :driver:

Just shows a hatch made around the same time can still compete with high end sports cars such as AMGs for pure driving fun

What was your mpg for the drive you had , don't expect it was more than 5mpg if you drove it properly !
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Black9

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 10:31:08 pm »
No idea. Only thing I was looking at was the road ahead and RPM needle  :signLOL: