Make a donation

Author Topic: What head unit is this?  (Read 972 times)

Offline Syy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
What head unit is this?
« on: August 31, 2012, 09:38:36 am »
Hi Guys,

Unfortunately my 08 plate Ed30 doesn't have a single option on it, and im getting a bit bored of burning MP3/Data CD's to listen to music . I appreciate this may have been covered many many times but i am unsure what head unit i have and what i need to gain iPod connectivity.

I want to keep the car as OEM as possible..

The head unit is black in colour with 6 silver buttons either side of the LCD screen and has "mp3" written above the CD mechanism.

if any body can help me out that would be much appreciated :)

Offline fab5freddy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
Re: What head unit is this?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 09:48:50 am »
RCD 300  :happy2:

If your budget allows get the RNS 510 and MDI interface for ipod. Great bit of kit

Offline Syy

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 10:00:49 am »
Great thanks, So im guessing thats the bargain basement version :(

couple more questions...

So can iPod connectivity be added to this unit? (sorry im not really keen on the RNS510 and its out of my budget)

Ive just had a search around the forum could i upgrade to the one in the middle (RCD500 i think ?) and then add the MDI for ipod connectivity in the arm rest / glove box ?

If so does anybody know what i would need part wise?

appreciate the help guys :)

Offline brookesb32

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 75
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 09:44:14 pm »
Great thanks, So im guessing thats the bargain basement version :(

couple more questions...

So can iPod connectivity be added to this unit? (sorry im not really keen on the RNS510 and its out of my budget)

Ive just had a search around the forum could i upgrade to the one in the middle (RCD500 i think ?) and then add the MDI for ipod connectivity in the arm rest / glove box ?

If so does anybody know what i would need part wise?

appreciate the help guys :)

Not sure about the iPod connectivity to a 300 or 500, but you need an RCD510 or the RNS for the mdi unit - as not compatible with the older units. (plus mdi are currently cheaper to buy - loom is more though to be fair)

If you want a good unit at not too much cost go for a RCD510. I upgraded from a 500 and the difference is amazing - touch screen is ace plus looks better on the car - and you can add the VW Bluetooth to run through it too (which I have also just done)  :happy2:

Do you have an armrest? If not I wil be listing a couple over the weekend, one of which is the mdi/iPod/cdchanger version so space for you to put in what you want :)

A selfless plug but look out if interested or send me a PM

Simon
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 09:45:59 pm by brookesb32 »
VCDS cable HEX-USB+CAN. New but can do the basics including coding

Offline bakili

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email