Make a donation

Author Topic: Edition 30 tuning  (Read 12826 times)

Offline Trowbridge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 1
Edition 30 tuning
« on: August 01, 2012, 05:59:07 pm »
Sorry for the schoolboy question(s)
Tuning an edition 30, ive read that you can only go so far before you need to change the fuel pump.  Im assuming stage 1 maps are fine with no other mods?  How far can you go safely with stage 2 until you need to change the pump or do things vary from car to car.  For example would my car be safe with a TBE without having to splash out on replacing the pump? Also my car has a DSG gearbox and Ive read about torque limits - again when does the car start to get held back by the gearbox or require a remap(?) of its own.
Thanks
Tornado Red Edition 30 No:1183

Offline dan930

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
Re: Edition 30 tuning
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 08:12:00 pm »
Sorry for the schoolboy question(s)
Tuning an edition 30, ive read that you can only go so far before you need to change the fuel pump.  Im assuming stage 1 maps are fine with no other mods?  How far can you go safely with stage 2 until you need to change the pump or do things vary from car to car.  For example would my car be safe with a TBE without having to splash out on replacing the pump? Also my car has a DSG gearbox and Ive read about torque limits - again when does the car start to get held back by the gearbox or require a remap(?) of its own.
Thanks

Hi mate...I manage to get 295bhp at R-tech with a milltek highflow sportscat,dsg remap & custom remap,this was back in march...I've fitted a forge twintake & a APR fuel pump today & will be getting a BCS full system next week along with a R-tech remap....nick from r-tech said it should be good for 320-330bhp..A dsg remap will help as it will up the torque on the box...hpfp will be needed if you are going pass stg2...hope this helps mate

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Saintsteve

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 08:18:36 pm »
Depends who your map provider is. bluefin Superchips will run at stage 2 with no pump. I run full milly turbo back, forge Twintake with no issues with my Dsg ed30.Shes producing over 300bhp.

Unless this has changed recently, Revo's code their fuel pressure higher the Superchips, and they recommend fuel pump on their stage 2.

Depends how far you want to mod, if your thinking towards Stage2+ then go Apr or Revo.But if a full turbo back and intake is what your gonna call the limit, then Bluefin Superchips map is very good vfm.
Revo may give you an extra 10bhp higher on the rolling road, but on the road, you will find the car with less torque and horsepower with get the power down easier and not necessarily slower  :wink:! Unless you mod further to help traction etc.
There is no limit with the dsg to worry about.
HTH

« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 08:22:54 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline Trowbridge

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 05:36:01 pm »
More faffing!!
Just trying to work out the best way to do things -

Route A - Stage 1 - then if i feel the need to add a turbo back exhaust and stage 2 at a later date
Route B - Buy TBE and get stage 2 mapping
Route C - leave alone!!

Ive got a feeling option A will be more expensive as there would be 2 remaps, but i might be happy with the car after the stage 1 map and I dont want to spoil the 'golfness' of the car by adding a loud exhaust.  But then if i do add the exhaust and I go somewhere and get it mapped is it safe to do so with the exhaust on but no remap, I guess that would be a benefit of having the bluefin.
Tornado Red Edition 30 No:1183

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 05:54:33 pm »

But then if i do add the exhaust and I go somewhere and get it mapped is it safe to do so with the exhaust on but no remap

....Perfectly safe to run a TBE exhaust without a remap. But without a TBE exhaust you won't get the full benefits of the remap.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 03:57:45 pm »
If you "Want" to go stage 2, get the intake and TBE first, then DSG map then get a remap, will save you money going from 1 to 2.

I went straight from std to stage 2, although had to go back and have map tweaked after DSG remap (which upped torque from 293lb/ft to 342lb/ft, power stayed almost the same at 316hp).

I need Fuel pump and S3 intercooler for 2+ and an extra 25hp ;-)
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline RedED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2012, 01:58:12 pm »
If you "Want" to go stage 2, get the intake and TBE first, then DSG map then get a remap, will save you money going from 1 to 2.

I went straight from std to stage 2, although had to go back and have map tweaked after DSG remap (which upped torque from 293lb/ft to 342lb/ft, power stayed almost the same at 316hp).

I have done all of the above - tBE, Intake, Stge 2 and DSG remap and wow. It's just a JFDI. Totally different car. Totally. You will not regret it.
Revo Stage2 - With Linear Throttle
Revo DSG
BCS Turboback Powervalve - This is a must.
ITG Closed Intake.. wooosh

Here to enjoy and help, with a hint of sarcasm, please do not be offended

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2012, 09:30:54 pm »

I have done all of the above - tBE, Intake, Stge 2 and DSG remap and wow. It's just a JFDI. Totally different car. Totally. You will not regret it.

My mum came in the car with me today and when I floored it she screamed  :grin:, was then I remembered she has a dicky ticker so slowed down again  :ashamed:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

justsean

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 08:43:47 am »
If its any help I am currently REVO Stage 1 (software only, no extra hardware) and its great but been saving up for stage 2....
This month will be getting everything needed including intercooler and fuel pump to stage 2+ and my local REVO dealer is charging £50 to update the map from stage 1 to stage 2+ so its not too tragic if you do it later on. I have a ed30 DSG as well, haven't thought about it but may need to consider the DSG map too as I hear it helps a lot.