Make a donation

Author Topic: Help needed  (Read 696 times)

Offline Llew

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 45
  • -Receive: 17
Help needed
« on: August 31, 2012, 07:07:39 pm »
In the past four weeks I have been driving 100 miles a day round trip to work I had no problems with the car until when I went to start it as I was going home yesterday it turned over then the battery died I jumped started it first time no problems I drove it home left it till this morning and it started no problems I didn't drive it to work but came home and it did the same thing tried to start then dead battery  I did a scan and it said there was an electrical fault with my glow plug could this be the reason for the battery drain
Golf 2006 tdi 140pd, dsg paddles,blue interior led lights,r32 rear bumper, cruise control,vcds,highline , r32 mfsw steering wheel, gti front bumper,miltek decat.

Offline W8 Performance

• Trader - 2014
  • Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 29
    • Email
Re: Help needed
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:39:46 pm »
Sounds a bit daft but have you checked the wiring in the bay and the alternator?

If its started then the glow plugs should be fine.

Offline Llew

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 10:45:29 pm »
I,ll check it and post back
Golf 2006 tdi 140pd, dsg paddles,blue interior led lights,r32 rear bumper, cruise control,vcds,highline , r32 mfsw steering wheel, gti front bumper,miltek decat.

Offline Llew

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 10:52:14 am »
I checked the wiring all is well but I suspect it's either the alternator or the battery as I have done a rescan and I am getting a lot of faults due to low voltage I just can't figure out wether it's the battery or alternator -- any ideas  would be appreciated

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 11:18:11 am »
Do you have a multimeter?

Check the voltage on the battery with the car off (should be 12v)

Then check what the voltage is when the car is running (should be 13-14v)

If there is no increase in voltage when the car is running the alternator will be the problem

Offline Llew

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2012, 10:45:04 am »
What I don't get is that there is no warning light to indicate low battery