Make a donation

Author Topic: Stansted to Bruntingthorpe  (Read 4627 times)

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
Stansted to Bruntingthorpe
« on: September 06, 2012, 02:26:28 pm »
Get in tonight and need to get to Lutterworth for brunters tomorrow at around midnight....

Any body got any routing suggestions, A14 is apparently average speed all the way.....

Am I best just down to the M25 round and up at about midnight??

All suggestions welcome....IPads giving me through routes but it's half the story

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
Re: Stansted to Bruntingthorpe
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 02:50:15 pm »
M25 at midnight should be quiet.

Offline Wild Bean

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 03:54:14 pm »
A14 only has average speed cameras as far as Huntingdon, and if you want to avoid the stretch that has them come off at the A428 on the M11, go as far as St.Neots, head back north up the A1 come off at Brampton Hut and pick the A14 up again. The A428 is a very fast piece of road, And quiet normally too.

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 15
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 04:00:21 pm »

You should know...  :signLOL:

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 04:01:27 pm »
More importantly, what are you going to Brunters for?  :party: Does it involve nice cars and high speeds?  :jumping:

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 04:26:37 pm »
M11, A14 will be the fastest.  :happy2:

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 06:56:29 pm »

You should know...  :signLOL:

It's even quieter at 2-3am  :signLOL:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 06:58:00 pm »
More importantly, what are you going to Brunters for?  :party: Does it involve nice cars and high speeds?  :jumping:

Loba private testing live mapping at 150+, some of the card have got my brakes on so need to be there to get kicked when it all goes wrong. Lots of performance boxes in attendance, mainly for the big power RS4/6 boys

Might try bag myself a go in the LO4XX golf if Stevey will oblige, TTRS over from Germany with a development turbo and a phase 2 pump apparently be interesting to see what thy does in real life.

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2012, 07:41:10 pm »
Steve Jr is also taking the twin Loba powered Porker down too. Should prove "interesting"  :driver:

Enjoy Dave and take plenty of pics to post up on here. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2012, 10:36:47 pm »
sounds like a wicked day, looking forward to some figures!

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 11:22:35 am »
Is this happening today then? I am down that way and would love to call in for a nosey..  :wink:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 11:51:27 am »
Is this happening today then? I am down that way and would love to call in for a nosey..  :wink:

Yes it is today Ben  :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2012, 08:19:30 am »
Any results for us Dave?  :jumping:

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2012, 09:19:35 am »
Yep was a good day, not just limited to Mk5 platform stuff so no real relevant times of massive interest here.

The RS4's were just immense, I've never really experienced 700BHP+ before, there was a lot of time spent doing the live mapping which ended up revealing a fuelling issue. So it was all hands on deck to get more fuel to the engine.

Quick call to Loba gave us a checklist of stuff to check, long story short on the big BHP RS's it's normal to remove the one way check valve which leaves the fuel lines pressurised and reduces cranking time on start, from a 9-10mm pipe the valve reduces flow through less than 5mm add in the fact that it was a few years old and it had to go....

So out it came

Offending item....you got one in your mk5??

So with plenty of fuel the car was running well, the extra torque then highlighted a heavy duty sintered clutch that hadn't bedded in properly which came to us over the course of 6-7 fast pulls.....car had ceramics on it which performed well.

This thing was fast....the pulls were relentless it was wired expecting a gear change and looking at the RPMs and it being about 4.5k!

Another RS had similar results, it became very evident these cars are just too fast to tune properly just on the dyno and the road, it was only the fact we were at brunters that highlighted some of the issues so a result.

Stevie turned up with the Porsche and the 4XX equipped Eddy after lunch and went straight out for some runs with some great formation runs with the RS4s.

I did a 30-130 with Steve but we forgot to log it, we were hoping the SD card got it, no doubt they did some more after I left mid afternoon.

One things for sure though the Golf is a very quick car, the big pulls down the straight with the 997T and the RS4s did leave the golf behind as expected.....NOWHERE near as far back as you'd expect....this thing will embarrass some super cars it held its own.  golf was Indicating about 170mph down the long straight repeated stops on the brake killing circuit which is brunters highlighted no issues even on Blue Pads. So I was chuffed with that they run very cool by design it was a good demo of what they are capable off. Eddy was standard weight not stripped out and had another 100BHP and 100KG on the cup cars so a good test

It sort of proved some of the upgrades some of the cup teams have asked for on the caparo setup which as you know is a simple bolted affair with a unbranded rotor.

This is the fully floating VWR bell which will run the same rotors Steve was running on the golf yesterday

So on a non race pad it was managing the heat, the back side of the bell is a little tricky.

So without turning this into a brake ad, the Golf was mega. Timings to follow shortly....the day wasn't about shooting times it was very much about data gathering for Loba and the 4XX mappers. The 4XX is still on a beta map with lots to do to get it 100%, it was a very unique power delivery in the golf it's very fast and a BIG stepup from a Stage 2+, I'm not saying its (Hyabusa) religious fast but there is a country mile between this and the fastest KO4 car out there.

Everybody kept referring to it as the "little" golf amongst a brace of 700 BHP RS4s but it held its own and if it had been there on its own would probably been more impressive

Offline Sunglasses Ron

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2012, 10:16:14 am »
Nice write up pal  :happy2: sounds like it was a great day (and goos weather to boot)..

Would of loved to of popped in to spectate (perv) on some of the motors running. Was there any times from the runs you did on the Vbox (Golf or Audis)? I bet the 700bhp motors were putting in some tasty figures, even if it was more about mapping..  :drool: