Make a donation

Author Topic: Where to buy a decent KO4!?  (Read 2690 times)

Offline GTIite

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 2
  • Build it.. don't buy it!!
    • Email
Where to buy a decent KO4!?
« on: September 06, 2012, 06:30:27 pm »
Hi all,

I am thinking of upgrading my turbo to a K04 in my GTI. I need to no what sort of price I would expect to pay for one? and where would the best place to buy one from?

I have been looking around a bit and found ones on eBay, but have always heard bad stories about buying turbos from there. I also have seen that Awesomegti.com do a kit but are £££, thought there must be a cheaper way to do this!!

Cheers

Ash
I have ETKA and ELSA - Happy to help if anyone needs anything. Instagram - @f11tvw

Rotiform VCE's : US Spec Rear Bumper : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : De-Wipered : Revo Stage 2+ Map : Revo Intake : Revo throttle pipe : THS Intercooler : K04 Conversion : Milltek Cat Back + Pipwerx Decat : Sachs Stage 3 Organic clutch + Single mass flywheel : Quaife ATB Differential : S3 Brakes + Vagbremtechnic discs : Full SuperPro Bushes : SuperPro ARB

Offline luckyGti

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 27
Re: Where to buy a decent KO4!?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2012, 06:54:01 pm »
There was a chap recently selling a brand new ko4 in the classifieds on the forum for £600, personally I would always spend the extra and buy a new one for piece of mind.

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2012, 06:58:47 pm »
For the price of the turbo, injectors fitting etc and labour costs is it not better selling your gti and buying an edition 30?

Offline GTIite

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 07:27:11 pm »
There was a chap recently selling a brand new ko4 in the classifieds on the forum for £600, personally I would always spend the extra and buy a new one for piece of mind.

Ok thanks I'll have a look out!
I have ETKA and ELSA - Happy to help if anyone needs anything. Instagram - @f11tvw

Rotiform VCE's : US Spec Rear Bumper : Colour Coded Side Skirts : US Grill : De-Wipered : Revo Stage 2+ Map : Revo Intake : Revo throttle pipe : THS Intercooler : K04 Conversion : Milltek Cat Back + Pipwerx Decat : Sachs Stage 3 Organic clutch + Single mass flywheel : Quaife ATB Differential : S3 Brakes + Vagbremtechnic discs : Full SuperPro Bushes : SuperPro ARB

Offline GTIite

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 07:33:10 pm »
For the price of the turbo, injectors fitting etc and labour costs is it not better selling your gti and buying an edition 30?

My GTi is more of project, so will be doing the work myself on it, so won't be spending money on labour. I was tempted but I've had the car 3 years and done many miles in it. So wouldn't be worth enough to go and buy a decent ed30.

Offline dan930

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2012, 07:51:07 pm »
Try turbo technics mate

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline fab5freddy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 238
  • -Receive: 239
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2012, 07:57:01 pm »
Here you go. Not sure if he still has it but worth a shot  :happy2:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,52637.0.html

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2012, 08:27:25 pm »

You can buy all the above for around £1k on the forum (maybe a lot less). I doubt an edition 30 can be had for that sort of money + his GTI. . .
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2012, 11:27:52 am »

You can buy all the above for around £1k on the forum (maybe a lot less). I doubt an edition 30 can be had for that sort of money + his GTI. . .

I was looking at the price that JKM are for the kit and fitting
http://www.jkm.org.uk/performance/tsiK04conversion.htm

That's around £5500 inc vat

There is a lot more to the kit than just a turbo and injectors and if it was all to be fitted by a garage then a custom remap I would assume the cost Would mount up

Going by jkm prices even if the gti was a high mileage 05 car it would still fetch at least £6k that's £11500 to play with

£11500  would get a decent edition 30 with the updated internals

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2012, 11:37:30 am »
JKM's pricing for a K04 conversion always seems a bit on the extreme side  :surprised:.

I'd recommend buying the parts, and then heading to Alex at AKS Tuning for fitting & remap - that's what i did  :evilgrin:

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2012, 11:56:32 am »
Shark Performance were offering 10% the other day, so it was £2600 supplied, fitted and mapped for a K04 conversion, cheap!

That was for a TSI but pretty sure it would be the same for a TFSI too!
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2012, 12:03:43 pm »
JKM's pricing for a K04 conversion always seems a bit on the extreme side  :surprised:.

I'd recommend buying the parts, and then heading to Alex at AKS Tuning for fitting & remap - that's what i did  :evilgrin:

Ooo you kept that one quiet Gareth  :innocent:! looking forward to the passenger ride you promised me next month! :party:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline GarethB

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2012, 12:11:57 pm »
Ooo you kept that one quiet Gareth  :innocent:! looking forward to the passenger ride you promised me next month! :party:

Yep, little cheeky mod earlier this week - completed by Alex (review to follow soon  :happy2:)

Unbelievable difference from 2+ on the K03 - night & day  :happy2:

Looking forward to next month's RR day - should be a good one.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2012, 02:03:21 pm »
Shark Performance were offering 10% the other day, so it was £2600 supplied, fitted and mapped for a K04 conversion, cheap!

That was for a TSI but pretty sure it would be the same for a TFSI too!

Unlike a FSI engine, the TSI doesn't need new injectors or uprated hpfp...
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline GTIite

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2013, 12:03:34 pm »
Would I be right in saying that is all I need to get the turbo fitted to the car correctly? Not including the intercooler and the mapping.