Make a donation

Author Topic: Problems with the GT Tdi and the garage don't want to know (shock!)  (Read 1275 times)

Offline Degudodger

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 53
  • -Receive: 86
    • Flickr
I have had the GT Tdi for three weeks now and can not fault it apart for one thing. The clutch peddle. Sometimes and it does seem to be increasing in frequency, when I have been on a spirited drive and change down through the gears between 2 and 3rd the clutch peddle seems get 3/4 of the way through the return travel is slow to go the rest of the way. It doesn't happen from cold, the bitting point is where you would expect it to be for a 5 year old car with 70k on the clock and there is no sign of slipping when you change down. The DMF is bloody loud thou when it is cold but quietens down once the car is up to temperature.

My initial thoughts are Concentric Cylinder or DMF but am leaning more towards the former as altho the DMF is noisy when cold there isn't too much vibration or shudder, it could however be both that are causing the fault.

The car was bought from a garage in Croydon and altho I was assured they would cover the reasonable cost of repairing any mechanical faults excluding wear and tear they are simply not interested, if fact their last comment was "what do you expect for a five year old car with 68k on the clock, if you wanted a new car you should have paid for one" as you can appreciate this has really got my back up. Under the Sale of Goods Act I have attempted to reject the car, offer them the opportunity to inspect the car and use a garage of their choosing to repair the faults but they have failed to reply to my letters/emails.

The drivers side seatbelt mechanism also needed replacing as the "seatbelt not fastened" buzzer would go off when you went round a corner or moved the seat. As the fault was most likely with the crash sensor I chose to buy the part from VW as I wasn't comfortable (safety feature and all that) buying second-hand and because of this was accused of being a "rich mug" by the owner of the garage as I could have got one from a scrap yard for less.

The dealer was initially informed of the issue the day after I bought the car and I have kept communication to email ad letter to ensure I have an audit trail should I have to kick off litigation but despite sending them three letters and two emails they have only contacted me once my phone. The person went nuts when I told them I was recording the call :)

I would like the garage to accept liability but it looks like that is not going to happen with out a fight!

Am I being reasonable in wanting;
Dealer to reimburse the cost of the seatbelt mechanism £55
Dealer to pay for a replacement DMF and Concentric Cylinder
Dealer to contribute more than 50% of the cost of labor
I will pay for a new clutch plate and fixing kit.

Trading standards have been fairly helpful but are limited to offering advice only so it looks like the only option left is litigation.
2016 Mk7 Golf GTD - Reflex Silver with stuff.

VCDS Hex+Can - Will code for beer!

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
Re: Problems with the GT Tdi and the garage don't want to know (shock!)
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 07:08:28 pm »
Bit of an Update.

After sending the owner of the garage a letter before action he agreed to refund the cost of the car and collected it this morning and handed over a stack of cash. What this means is i now have to buy a car this weekend!

I really liked the Golf but the prospect of having to spend £1k outside of my budget was not something i was prepared to do.

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 07:56:52 pm »
Well done getting the cash back! Sounds like the garage could do with some customer service training...

Hope the experience hasn't put you off VW and that you find a decent car soon. :smiley:
'07 Red manual

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 08:03:52 pm »
When i started quoting the Sale of Good Act they just walked away, i had to bring legal proceedings against them before they even started to take the matter seriously. Just happy i have the cash back in my pocket. :)

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ko0ccijnj91e07sft9hbftj1oa&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 08:12:43 pm »
Well... at least they coughed up mate.

Offline skilab

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:31:46 pm »
Bit of an Update.

After sending the owner of the garage a letter before action he agreed to refund the cost of the car and collected it this morning and handed over a stack of cash. What this means is i now have to buy a car this weekend!

I really liked the Golf but the prospect of having to spend £1k outside of my budget was not something i was prepared to do.

Have a look at mine that is for sale.  The link to pistonheads is in the other for sale links section link below.

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,52594.0.html
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 08:37:01 pm by skilab »

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 08:36:36 pm »
A little out side of my budget but thanks anyway.

Looks absolutely stunning by the way  :happy2:

Offline skilab

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 08:38:50 pm »
Thanks.  Not had any serious interest yet but it has only been advertised a week.

Would you say it is a fair price from your experience of buying a Gt Tdi 170?

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 08:43:06 pm »
Looks a little high IMHO.

My suggestion would be to check what similar spec vehicles are being advertised for on Autotrader and closed auctions on ebay then take an average. Alternatively you could pay to have your car valued.

Offline skilab

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 08:53:12 pm »
Looks a little high IMHO.

My suggestion would be to check what similar spec vehicles are being advertised for on Autotrader and closed auctions on ebay then take an average. Alternatively you could pay to have your car valued.

Appreciate your opinion.  Might have browse this weekend then and consider lowering it and see if I get any serious interest.

Offline Makaveli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 10:13:41 pm »
Did you get all the money back that you paid for the car? Did you incur any costs for the legal proceedings?

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2012, 04:01:02 pm »
In the end i received the amount paid for the car, half of the cost of the additional bits i had replaced plus cost to submit claim via the small claims court.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 08:43:36 am »
Surely if just needed a brake/clutch fluid change and the clutch/brakes re-bleeding?

Offline Degudodger

• Thank You
    • Flickr
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 12:33:01 pm »
Brake fluid was replaced by my local VW garage as they had a special offer on at the time (£29.99 for GTi club card members) it did make a small difference but the issue was still there afterwards