Make a donation

Author Topic: Stage???  (Read 4097 times)

Offline JASGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Stage???
« on: September 08, 2012, 10:13:46 pm »
Right after some info, im currently running 265bhp, that's a twin take, de cat and map. What is required next for more power? Hpfp? Inter cooler? And which would you recommend ?

Cheers Jason
Mk5 Gti, dsg 5door.

Offline rich83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=iu4vmkc8h1njjl8ub81m799tc2&/topic,19740.0.html
Re: Stage???
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 11:56:11 pm »
HPFP so either autotech internals or APR
Intercooler. Either S3 or forge twintercooler or similar
Intake. Either ITG, twintake or EVOMS.

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:02:53 am »
HPFP so either autotech internals or APR
Intercooler. Either S3 or forge twintercooler or similar
Intake. Either ITG, twintake or EVOMS.

He's got a twintake mate..

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=iu4vmkc8h1njjl8ub81m799tc2&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 10:21:29 am »
Ahh scratch that off the list then.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 08:25:10 pm »
sounds like you're at Stage 2. Stage 2+ is the next step, although peak power is not that much more. however, there's more "area under the curve" i.e. more power more of the time.

Revo recommend that for Stage 2+ you need a HPFP and an intercooler. Intercooler wise, on a K03 car, chances are an S3 intercooler will be all you need. With this I would advise fitting a Neuspeed turbo discharge pipe and a throttle body pipe from AKS Tuning. (These willl aid flow and have made my car a lot more free revving and improved my fuel economy. I wouldn't recommend them on their own, but I would if you're having an intercooler fitted anyway.)

HPFP wise, it's APR or Autotech. There is reams and reams of arguements over which to go for on this forum. The summary is that the APR is 3x the price, but is apparently safer due to it's design. The Autotech is cheaper, tho might cause your pump to fail (although PDT of this site has supplied and fitted 100s of the things without a single failure). Either way, get your cam follower changed when it is fitted, and then regularly afterwards.

Good luck. 
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline JASGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 08:37:22 pm »
Right thanks for the info, I've got some internals on order with w8performance, now to decide on inter cooler, I've seen a few cheap twin cooler kits not forge but hey the £400 cheaper, any1 used these before..
Mk5 Gti, dsg 5door.

Offline keano

• Thank You
  • -Given: 79
  • -Receive: 35
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 07:17:10 am »
You need 3" downpipe

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 09:12:15 am »
You're running ~265 bhp (regular dyno number?) on a Mk5 GTI (not Ed30) without a high-flow exhaust and want more power?

I think you would firstly better benefit from more powerful brakes and better handling mods including a LSD and engine mounts. Power is useless without traction.

To prevent risk of fuel cutouts etc you definitely need an aftermarket HPFP - Even now at 265 bhp it will benefit you. The APR pump will give peace of mind. < You have already decided Autotech internals, so bung them in a brand new OEM pump.

You need a performance high-flow TBE exhaust to exploit your remap and I'm surprised that your tuner didn't advise you of that! You need that next, hence why Keano advised downpipe.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 09:16:48 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JASGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 07:57:14 pm »
I've got a 3inch down pipe which is connected to a miletk centre res section and a blue flame suit case delet, so a twin cooler and hpfp internals should do it for now then sort brakes and poly bushing then I'm sure it will be clutch and k04 time cars only on 22k so hopefully not for a while as want to fit r1 bike carbs to my mk2 and use that a bit more next summer . Thanks for the info tho, my mate builds gear boxes as his job so when I have to do the clutch and uprate it is a LSD a real pound for pound upgrade?
Mk5 Gti, dsg 5door.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 08:53:19 pm »

Thanks for the info tho, my mate builds gear boxes as his job so when I have to do the clutch and uprate it is a LSD a real pound for pound upgrade?

....Sorry but I'm not sure what you mean by "is a LSD a real pound for pound upgrade?"

It's a relatively expensive mod which you can't sell on (unless you sell the whole gearbox) but it transforms the car's handling if you either do enthusiastic road driving or trackdays. The fact that the Mk7 now has a LSD and also other FWD fast hatchbacks like the Ford RS, illustrates its benefits and importance.

Hope this helps  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JASGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 08:59:01 pm »
Yeah I fink when the time comes il get him to fit one as I'm sure he cld get me one cheap and does not charge me to fit it as we swap work all the time , I'm more of a road driver myself as would like to track it just use it for work every day so wouldn't want to walk after getting over excited at the weekend  :signLOL:
Mk5 Gti, dsg 5door.

Offline paulmk5gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
Re: Re: Stage???
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2012, 08:19:56 am »
8)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Offline JASGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2012, 04:28:40 pm »
right i have my hpfp and twincooler ready to go on, then off to have a map tweek,  would anybody recommend changing/uprating the spark plugs? If so what is best to go for? Cheers jason
Mk5 Gti, dsg 5door.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2012, 08:47:59 am »

right i have my hpfp and twincooler ready to go on, then off to have a map tweek,  would anybody recommend changing/uprating the spark plugs? If so what is best to go for? Cheers jason

....I change my plugs regardless every 20,000 miles and have been recommended that it's a good maintenance practice on a tuned car. I use Iridium 7's but there are forum threads specifically on the plugs subject if you do a Search  :happy2: