Make a donation

Author Topic: 'S' gear?  (Read 2741 times)

ReeceH13

'S' gear?
« on: September 11, 2012, 03:44:47 pm »
Chaps,

Just wondering what the 'S' gear is on the DSG gearbox?

Is it sport mode as suspected? - It's fast enought in drive...

Cheers

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: 'S' gear?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2012, 03:46:33 pm »
yep it's sport mode. bit pointless in my opinion, if i'm driving miss daisy i'm in "D". if i'm pressing on I use the paddles
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2012, 04:20:42 pm »
Sport mode isn't that great tbh you would be better moving the stick to manual and using the paddles or moving the shifter up or down that way you have more control

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2012, 04:44:46 pm »
Yes, S is Sport Mode. In D-mode the gears shift automatically at lower revs to deliver more economy and slightly less power performance. In S-mode the gears don't automatically shift until the revs are approaching towards the red and so your power performance is optimised. Reducing speed in S-mode optimises the engine braking as you would expect.

Both D and S modes can be instantly overridden by using the paddle shifter (or nudging the floor stick). It will revert back to the mode you were in (D or S) if you don't action another shift within 30 seconds. If you want to return to D or S within the 30 seconds, simply hold a paddle shifter for a second or two.

S-mode can be a bit frantic but can be very useful in some circumstances such as a very busy multi-junction roundabout.

I use D only for urban 20/30/40 mph driving or for traffic queue crawls. When my shoulders are level with the GLF (National Speed Limit) sign I shift to M and Go Like Feck! Then I think and shift gears in M exactly as I would a conventional manual.

DSG has a learning curve before it becomes fluid but I simply wouldn't buy another car without DSG or its equivalent. It's the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Hope this helps  :happy2:
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:56:50 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 06:11:07 pm »
DSG has a learning curve before it becomes fluid but I simply wouldn't buy another car with DSG or its equivalent. It's the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Hope this helps  :happy2:

Robin, did you mean:-

DSG has a learning curve before it becomes fluid, But I simply wouldn't buy another car withOUT DSG or its equivalent. It's the best of both worlds in my opinion.  :wink:

MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 06:57:43 pm »
^^^^
I most certainly did! Cheers, Miles  :drinking:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 07:50:35 pm »
I like S. The wheel paddles are a lottery as to where they are when cornering and the manaul shift goes the wrong way. Push forward to change up is wrong, wrong I say ! Can that be rewired ? So I like S you can always paddle override if you want. D behaves much the same if you floor it but S holds the gears much more. Is a lot more feisty in S :-)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 08:08:48 pm »

I like S. The wheel paddles are a lottery as to where they are when cornering and the manual shift goes the wrong way. Push forward to change up is wrong, wrong I say ! Can that be rewired ? So I like S you can always paddle override if you want. D behaves much the same if you floor it but S holds the gears much more. Is a lot more feisty in S :-)

....I agree with you about the floor stick shift and I never use it. It also feels very 'remote'.

Paddle shift extensions solves the problem of reach - Mandy here sells them:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,50668.30.html
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 08:14:34 pm by RedRobin »

ReeceH13

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2012, 08:13:23 pm »
Thanks very much guys,

Just wondered, will have to give it a go!

My friend wants to give me a go around Santapod, he has a 1.6 Fiesta Metal (Ford tuned, airfilter, exhaust)

I fancy my chances and have a lot of trust in my GTI! Let's see him put his money where his mouth is...  :wink: