Make a donation

Author Topic: Mods for Traction  (Read 6803 times)

Offline GNJ_Motorsport

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 20
    • GNJ Motorsport
    • Email
Re: Mods for Traction
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 05:02:19 pm »
All good advice. You shouldn't be getting much traction issues on a standard K03 GTI. Once you do start tuning though an anti lift kit and some good suspension like the Bilstein B12 will help with traction and handling the extra power. A limited slip diff as later on.

0% Interest Free Finance Available On All Parts NOW
www.gnjmotorsport.com
info@gnjmotorsport.com  -  01254 883345
Facebook  -  Instagram

Offline benj1989

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Re: Mods for Traction
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 10:16:55 am »
A good read. I was wondering the same as the op before

Sent from my LG-P920 using Tapatalk 2

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 02:57:10 am »
Fair play to redrobin you put your point across very well and hats of to the OP for being gracious enough to receive it.  I haven't been on any driving courses, however as this is my first performance motor I have learnt a lot myself.  

I no longer try planting my right foot and turning the steering at the same time....the tyres simply can't turn and car and put all the power down at the same time.  Sounds simple but coming from a "shopping trolley" there was a lot for me to learn.

If the roads are even slightly damp I don't bother with standing starts as I'm simply burning mm's of tyre tread.  Ive learnt to get the car of the line first before applying more power.

Not trying to be patronising but this wasn't immediately obvious to me....six months later I don't even think about it!
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline Gazza747

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 16
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2012, 09:18:52 am »
The reason I posted was because I was suprised that I was getting wheel spin in second gear on a dry road with a standard car. I was considering a stage 1 remap but to me it sounds like a bad idea because I like the idea of being able to put your foot down and know that the grip will be there. I guess the only way I'm going to be able to do this is to get a 4wd car.

I do like the GTI though so will keep it for now but I will be interested at 4wd offerings in the future like the S3, Golf R etc.
2013 Golf mk7 1.4 tsi SE DSG
2011 Golf mk6 2.0 tdi Match manual (sold)
2007 Golf mk5 GTi manual (sold)

Offline the bruce

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 322
  • -Receive: 100
    • my GTI
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2012, 12:14:54 pm »
LSD and you won't miss 4WD.

:drinking:
"You get what you pay for."

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 12:45:35 pm »

LSD and you won't miss 4WD.

:drinking:

....Agreed  :happy2:

More fun too. Downside is that it ain't cheap and more worth it if you plan to keep the car as it's not really a mod you can sell on separately without the whole gearbox.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 12:57:35 pm »
Yes, Robin. Cost is one main reason why many guys fear retrofitting a LSD.

But going the ED30/35 + LSD route isn't more expensive than buying a comparable R32/Mk.VI R.

@ all: Keep in mind VW is going to supply the Mk.VII GTI with a true mechanical LSD called 'VAQ' !!

:happy2: :happy2: :happy2: :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 01:06:59 pm »

@ all: Keep in mind VW is going to supply the Mk.VII GTI with a true mechanical LSD called 'VAQ' !!

....So VW realised that their Mk6's 'electronic' LSD simply wasn't such an effective solution afterall.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 01:23:26 pm »
The lesser Mk.VII now all come with the XDS, the GTI will come with the VAQ (hopefully
at no extra charge) and again the R comes as 4-motion.

Conceivably for other variants like the GTD the new VAQ is going to be an option.

I have to say while XDS being no true LSD it isn't that bad for a hot hatch besides
track use. I wish I had XDS on my Mk.V. I know it stresses the front brakes, but it
also helps cornering.

:wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 01:48:33 pm »

I have to say while XDS being no true LSD it isn't that bad for a hot hatch besides
track use. I wish I had XDS on my Mk.V. I know it stresses the front brakes, but it
also helps cornering.

:wink:

....XDS is certainly better than nothing.

How does it stress the front brakes? And does a Quaife mechanical LSD also stress the front brakes?

Offline the bruce

• Thank You
    • my GTI
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 02:16:35 pm »
Of course a mechanical LSD doesn't stress the brakes at all - a huge advantage on track.

XDS works similar to EDS by appyling some brake force on the inner wheel, but earlier and
much smoother. Nonetheless similar principle. All that using the brakes will stress these
when used extensively (which on track will be the case - again and again).

Good thing for a DD, but double-edged on track. While it helps accelerating out of the first
couple of corners it will quickly (co-) cause raising front brake temperatures. With stock
brakes a huge problem. XDS will at least increase brake wear. With BBKs and proper ven-
tilation not that much of course.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 04:00:50 pm »
^^^^
Then that's another bonus in buying a Mk5 GTI and adding a mechanical LSD (Quaife) aftermarket, plus the BBK  :happy2:

Offline Duke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2012, 09:01:40 am »
You said about the tread levels, but didn't say what tyres you actually have? That would be the first thing I would be looking at.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=rt317ca15c8rfu67u6dok1rc0p&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2012, 09:06:29 am »
You said about the tread levels, but didn't say what tyres you actually have? That would be the first thing I would be looking at.

2nded. What tyres?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2012, 10:40:28 am »

Of course a mechanical LSD doesn't stress the brakes at all - a huge advantage on track.

XDS works similar to EDS by appyling some brake force on the inner wheel, but earlier and
much smoother. Nonetheless similar principle. All that using the brakes will stress these
when used extensively (which on track will be the case - again and again).

Good thing for a DD, but double-edged on track. While it helps accelerating out of the first
couple of corners it will quickly (co-) cause raising front brake temperatures. With stock
brakes a huge problem. XDS will at least increase brake wear. With BBKs and proper ven-
tilation not that much of course.

^^^^ This is something which many modders don't realise and upgrading brakes is often overlooked. Having powerful brakes makes the difference between joy and tragedy.

A car doesn't ever know whether it is being driven fast on a road or a track and behaves according to its own limitations (and your driver limitations of course). The detailed setup for track can be different and also different for different tracks even, but fundamentally I believe that mods for traction apply in all environments. So mods such as a mechanical LSD are very useful anywhere.