Make a donation

Author Topic: VW bodyshop paint quote  (Read 2711 times)

Offline jedi-knight83

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
VW bodyshop paint quote
« on: September 13, 2012, 11:37:40 am »
I posted this in the 'rust warranty success' thread too but fear it will get a bit lost and need some answers fast ish as I need to get back to VW.

So VW are replacing and repainting my wings FOC. They are saying they 100% will not pay to blend the colour though (which I think is very crap)

So partly for blending and partly just to refresh the whole front I asked for a quote to also paint the bonnet and bumper.

They have come back with a quote of £760 which I think is too high and I was expecting to pay around £500.

I have worked out the cost for the extra work you requested as the following

Paint bonnet
Paint bumper and red splitter section 
Paint bumper mouldings
Paint metallic black centre splitter section
Paint front end sections of the side skirts

£455.00 Labour
£178.60 Paint
£633.60 Total
£126.72 Vat
£760.32 Total 

Too much?
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Jonny

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 14
  • G7R Owner
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,45008.0.html
Re: VW bodyshop paint quote
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2012, 11:49:58 am »
All I'm saying is ouchhh  :scared: I'd really try source somewhere else especially when they said it won't blend  :fighting: :fighting:

Offline CAPTAIN BRITAIN

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2012, 12:11:47 pm »
It won't be vw that will be doing the work, They just add their 20% on top,
So cut out the middle man and find a bodyshop yourself.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2012, 12:14:46 pm »
It won't be vw that will be doing the work, They just add their 20% on top,
So cut out the middle man and find a bodyshop yourself.

pretty sure vw chelmsford have an onsite bodyshop.

My problem is... if they are painting the wings already then i want the front painted at the same time so it matches.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2012, 02:04:47 pm »
On my mk4 anni when i had wing rust repaired, i paid extra to have the bumper and valance and bonnet re-done, it cost an extra £300!!!

So yes £760 is alot!!!!!

This was at VW harrogate, they have an onsite bodyshop.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Andy947

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 08:15:56 pm »
Typically you'd be about 200-250 for a bonnet and  the same for a bumper (removed from the car), for prep and paint, so that does seem a bit steep.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 09:18:56 pm »
Does seem a bit more than I would expect TBH. Getting my front end done soon (inc bonnet) and am expecting £500-£600. Am personnally going to be using an Indy body shop near me (in Sussex) who were recommended to me by my main dealer as they don't do body work themselves.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Carla77

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 5
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 10:27:01 pm »
I posted this in the 'rust warranty success' thread too but fear it will get a bit lost and need some answers fast ish as I need to get back to VW.

So VW are replacing and repainting my wings FOC. They are saying they 100% will not pay to blend the colour though (which I think is very crap)

So partly for blending and partly just to refresh the whole front I asked for a quote to also paint the bonnet and bumper.

They have come back with a quote of £760 which I think is too high and I was expecting to pay around £500.

Paint bonnet
Paint bumper mouldings

£455.00 Labour
£178.60 Paint
£633.60 Total
£126.72 Vat
£760.32 Total 

Too much?

I had the front two wings, boot lid and drivers side sill replaced on my tornado red car all done under warranty at a VW garage. I have looked at my car every which way and I seriously cannot see that there is a noticeable difference where the new paint meets the old. I was told that when the car is valeted afterwards, tcut is applied which takes the top layer of 'old paint' off and matches up with the new.

Personally, I would get the warranty work done and see what you think when you pick it up before you make a decision. Hope it all works out alright  :happy2:   

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 10:40:16 pm »

Paint bonnet
Paint bumper mouldings

£455.00 Labour
£178.60 Paint
£633.60 Total
£126.72 Vat
£760.32 Total 

Too much?

I had the front two wings, boot lid and drivers side sill replaced on my tornado red car all done under warranty at a VW garage. I have looked at my car every which way and I seriously cannot see that there is a noticeable difference where the new paint meets the old. I was told that when the car is valeted afterwards, tcut is applied which takes the top layer of 'old paint' off and matches up with the new.

Personally, I would get the warranty work done and see what you think when you pick it up before you make a decision. Hope it all works out alright  :happy2:   

Ha... if they go near my car with t-cut **** they will have all other kinds of problems and I'll invoice them for my time in detailing the whole car again...

BTW this is my company :) www.cambridgeautogleam.com

Offline Sonic6103

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 11:00:26 pm »
I had my bonnet, bumper, wings painted and had the pillars and doors 'flicked' which I think is basically the same as feathering or blending. It was done by a friend who is well known around my area to be very good. He also used some paste that filled in the stone chipped areas which is the only reason I got it sprayed.

This was all done 2 weeks ago and cost me £400

Karl

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 11:39:16 pm »
Got my N/S wing replaced 100% due to rust, again asked the quastion about blending and they said they didnt do that. I also got my bonnet done at the same time due to stone chips. If im honest. You wouldnt have any idea it was a new wing. Colour match from VW. Top quality, if your not happy, argue the case  :rolleye:

Offline trs888

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 17
  • -Receive: 20
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 07:24:14 pm »

Paint bonnet
Paint bumper mouldings

£455.00 Labour
£178.60 Paint
£633.60 Total
£126.72 Vat
£760.32 Total 

Too much?

I paid £500 for front end blended to a pillars, into front doors, roof polish, boot gas struts rubbing point touch up, sill passenger side and a polish!

I'd want even more than that for my £760!!!