Make a donation

Author Topic: Intercoolers aftermarket compatability  (Read 2837 times)

Offline Ducky76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Intercoolers aftermarket compatability
« on: September 14, 2012, 09:35:48 am »
Hi peeps I've been browsing e bay for intercoolers and some of them say 06/12 and are duel type as in the original stays put and a additional one is added I just wondered if these type are compatable with a 05 plate and if anyone has any experience with these sub 300 £ intercooler kits

Cheep as chips cheers andy

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Intercoolers aftermarket compatability
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2012, 09:40:12 am »
^^^^
I can't comment on this particular intercooler but be aware and beware of cheap Chinese (or Far Eastern) copies. It can be a case of buy cheap, buy twice. Hopefully someone else might know something about this particular i/c you are interested in.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline valle

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2012, 09:46:05 am »
yea, i heard the same, don't buy some china ''crap''.
I bought mine from forge, and it's great.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2012, 12:35:04 pm »
^^^^
I can't comment on this particular intercooler but be aware and beware of cheap Chinese (or Far Eastern) copies. It can be a case of buy cheap, buy twice. Hopefully someone else might know something about this particular i/c you are interested in.

X2 for what Robin said, although ideally you want to find a product where you a paying for the quality and not a further premium for the "name"

A cheap quality option may be using the Audi S3 OEM intercooler. Use the search function for more info  :smiley:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2012, 12:39:08 pm »
^^^^

X2 for what Robin said, although ideally you want to find a product where you a paying for the quality and not a further premium for the "name"

A cheap quality option may be using the Audi S3 OEM intercooler. Use the search function for more info  :smiley:

Be aware of that the newer S3 IC is with plastic endtanks whereas the olde ones are intirely of Alloy

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline dan930

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2012, 01:00:12 pm »
Try German auto parts direct..they do the all alloy s3 ic mate,it works out around just over £300...MADE IN GERMANY (enough said)..was going to order from them but decided to get a Ths one instead.

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2012, 03:59:47 pm »
FASTWAYRACER  :signLOL:

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2012, 04:06:04 pm »
^^^^

Be aware of that the newer S3 IC is with plastic endtanks whereas the olde ones are intirely of Alloy

is there any evidence yet that there's a difference?

i would also recommend an S3 intercooler, but i doubt there is any difference between the alloy ended ones, and the plastic ended ones. the cores are the same, and plastic would have less of a heat sink effect than the alloy ends which don't do any cooling but absorb heat from the engine bay.

i say this having fitted a metal ended one, but that's because i think the effects cancel each other out.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2012, 04:15:11 pm »

i would also recommend an S3 intercooler, but i doubt there is any difference between the alloy ended ones, and the plastic ended ones. the cores are the same, and plastic would have less of a heat sink effect than the alloy ends which don't do any cooling but absorb heat from the engine bay.

i say this having fitted a metal ended one, but that's because i think the effects cancel each other out.

....I have been thinking exactly the same. I wouldn't have thought that the German designers would have revised something to result in a loss in performance even if cheaper to manufacture.

Hey, sub! I thought you were leaving the forum because of going to London etc.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 04:17:56 pm »

FASTWAYRACER  :signLOL:

.... :laugh: That's exactly what I thought too. But being the first to post, I didn't want to prejudge what the product might be like just because I hadn't heard of it. Hence my diplomatic way of suggesting it might be something to beware.

Offline dan930

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2012, 04:50:42 pm »
FASTWAYRACER hahaha :laugh: :laugh:F##king cheesy name

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
R TECH custom map

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 05:07:47 pm »

....It really shows how important appropriate branding is to a product's success. We are, at least most of us are, put off by any name like "FASTWAYRACER".

Can you imagine if the name "FASTWAYRACER" was printed on the front like a lot of intercoolers have!  FASTTWATRACER more like.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2012, 07:35:23 pm »

....I have been thinking exactly the same. I wouldn't have thought that the German designers would have revised something to result in a loss in performance even if cheaper to manufacture.

Hey, sub! I thought you were leaving the forum because of going to London etc.

i'm meant to be revising for my first exam... so of course i'm procrastinating :laugh:
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline dan930

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2012, 08:22:55 pm »

....It really shows how important appropriate branding is to a product's success. We are, at least most of us are, put off by any name like "FASTWAYRACER".

Can you imagine if the name "FASTWAYRACER" was printed on the front like a lot of intercoolers have!  FASTTWATRACER more like.

FASTTWATRACER  :laugh: :grin: :grin:

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
R TECH custom map

Offline martziniuk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 10:51:11 pm »
Looks very similar to the Godspeed setup which gets an excellent write up on the American forums, do a search.
I have no experience with this setup but have had Chinese coolers before which I found performed very well.
Mk2 Octavia vRS with K04 conversion, 3"TBE & Decat, APR HPFP, BDM Intake, S3 I/C, Sachs clutch & Unicorn custom map, S3 brakes, AP coilovers, THS mounts.

B8.5 Audi S4 with uprated pulley and unicorn Stage 2