Make a donation

Author Topic: Diesel after Stage 2 Edition?  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Adam_

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Diesel after Stage 2 Edition?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 10:04:47 pm »
I didn't say there were none, I said not many.  I wouldn't pay circa 14k for a 5 year old car with 60k  personally.

Sorry pal my mistake.

I'v come from a 170 PPD and it's the worst motor I have ever owned personally, you may be lucky and I hope you do. The injectors go wrong but are under warranty, the DPF's clog badly, and sensors go. I had my DPF removed prior to problems. The turbo had a bit of play so that was replaced, the head cracked leading me to fork out a £2500 bill.

I wish all this was a one off but theres quite a few people with the problems mentioned. Let's hope you do get good one.

I think the 09 onwards TDI is better for DPF reliability. There are many MK5 petrols and diesels with problems (Oil consumption anyone?) and I agree there is more than a one off!

Wasn't 09 onwards the CR and not the Siemens PPD?

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 10:14:30 pm »
I didn't say there were none, I said not many.  I wouldn't pay circa 14k for a 5 year old car with 60k  personally.

Sorry pal my mistake.

I'v come from a 170 PPD and it's the worst motor I have ever owned personally, you may be lucky and I hope you do. The injectors go wrong but are under warranty, the DPF's clog badly, and sensors go. I had my DPF removed prior to problems. The turbo had a bit of play so that was replaced, the head cracked leading me to fork out a £2500 bill.

I wish all this was a one off but theres quite a few people with the problems mentioned. Let's hope you do get good one.

I think the 09 onwards TDI is better for DPF reliability. There are many MK5 petrols and diesels with problems (Oil consumption anyone?) and I agree there is more than a one off!

Wasn't 09 onwards the CR and not the Siemens PPD?

Yeh thats right CR injection and not PD.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2012, 08:31:23 am »
Iv been considering a touareg v10 tdi..... Beat that torque figure (and mpg figure)

Which car are you referring to? The Toerag will not better any of those Diesels when its average on a combined cycle is 23 MPG...

OP - The 170 Diesels are no doubt good cars but imo there are better diesels on the market for a similar price...I think the GTD is a bit expensive in comparison.

Perhaps dropping to a 330D would be not as large a performance drop than a TDI 170 would be.

If your heart is set on VAG then fair enough you wont end up with a shocker.

Also DPF removal may become an issue in the future if regulations change?

Was a sarcastic comment about the MPG...

My point was how amazing the engine is and not a serious suggestion unless the OP has deep pockets and wants to tow a 747 (see top gear)

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2012, 07:13:52 pm »
Iv been considering a touareg v10 tdi..... Beat that torque figure (and mpg figure)

Which car are you referring to? The Toerag will not better any of those Diesels when its average on a combined cycle is 23 MPG...

OP - The 170 Diesels are no doubt good cars but imo there are better diesels on the market for a similar price...I think the GTD is a bit expensive in comparison.

Perhaps dropping to a 330D would be not as large a performance drop than a TDI 170 would be.

If your heart is set on VAG then fair enough you wont end up with a shocker.

Also DPF removal may become an issue in the future if regulations change?

Was a sarcastic comment about the MPG...

My point was how amazing the engine is and not a serious suggestion unless the OP has deep pockets and wants to tow a 747 (see top gear)

Sorry Fella I missed the sarcasm lol :grin:

Yes I saw the episode on TG and it has some serious torque.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone