Make a donation

Author Topic: Brake pads not sitting flat?  (Read 2654 times)

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
Brake pads not sitting flat?
« on: June 07, 2009, 10:49:01 pm »
Guys,

Purchased my 2006 plate 3 door Grey Gti on Weds.
Very impressed so far.

Despite being on the LongLife SS, decided to check the basics and see what needs doing. Despite the dealer saying they check the fluid levels, wanted to do my own to get used to the locations of sumps/hoses/caps/screws etc.

The brakes squeak ever so slightly when applying firm braking, about 60% of the brake pedal but nothing terrible. Presumed this means the front pads probably are on the metal or there about and when checking, I discovered it appears they don't look to sit flat against the disc. Perhaps this is something I should know, or maybe its just the fact that the pad has completely worn out, giving the appearance it doesn't sit flat purely because that's how the pad canopy is shaped? I did a search, but found nothing in case it was a 'must know' ;).

See pics below to compliment my description. Sorry for the crap quality.

You can see the shadow from where there's a gap.
Normal, or need replacing?

I will take the wheels off at the weekend and have a proper look (when its not raining :/ ), but provisionally just wanted to check. Braking itself is ok, I would expect slightly sharper though having driven the MK5 1.9 TDi SE at work.

Thanks,
Pete.
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
Re: Brake pads not sitting flat?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2009, 10:56:41 pm »
that's normal.

the pad is "tapered" so its angled at both ends (middle section is fatter than outer sections)

nothing to worry about.

when you've bed it in and worn down the pad a bit you'll start seeing more of the whole pad sit against the disc.

Offline DaveB@Vagbremtechnic

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 130
    • Vagbremtechnic.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2009, 08:58:06 am »
Yep - they look like practically new pads, although if they dont feel sharp then maybe take it back to the supplying dealer have them give them a good bleed and maybe bleed the master cylinder in addition - on a newish car it should bring the pedal back.

They'll also stop better in a few hundred miles when the "chamfer" dissapears, they make them that way so that when replacing discs and pads together - they are not squealy

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2009, 09:10:01 pm »
Thanks Dave/Chug (y)  :happy2:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door