Make a donation

Author Topic: Diesel Particulate filter  (Read 1065 times)

dombe

Diesel Particulate filter
« on: September 17, 2012, 05:50:39 pm »
Hi Guys, hope you are well.

I recently bought a Mk5 Gt 170bhp 2007 off a friend, which has now started to annoy me. The car itself is great but i have had the DPF light come on twice in two weeks.
The first time it came on i did as instructed in the manual and drove the car in 4th gear at 2-3 revs for least half an hour and the light went out, great. But two weeks later, today, the light has come on again.
I guess there must be something wrong with the car, surely it doesnt need (resetting) or whatever its called that regularly?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I guess a trip to the garage looms!

Thanks.

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
Re: Diesel Particulate filter
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 06:06:39 pm »
there was a recall on these cars, one of the sensors on the DPf is prone to going.

even with it being on a 2007 plate, the dealers should probably fix it. there is a technical Service Bulletin for it, the dealers should be able to find it. It is possible that it has already had the recall, the same component can fail again.

Its not standard practise for the dealers to swap it again on out of warranty cars, but i managed it after a little bit of persuasion ;)

good luck

dombe

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 06:15:06 pm »
wow, thanks for the rapido response. I will take a trip down the local vw place.

Thanks loads.

Offline Matto

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 10:10:38 pm »
I had it a while ago but when scanned it had logged a fault code. It was to do with the sensor that monitors the pressure difference across the DPF. It's situated top left of the engine with too rubber uses going too it and and electrical plug. What you will find it the original one was superseded by an updated version due to know problems.

I would also suggest saving some pennies and getting the DPF removed and mapped out. Nasty horrible things that cause no end of problems.