Make a donation

Author Topic: Bit of advice!  (Read 923 times)

Offline nathangallo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 4
    • Email
Bit of advice!
« on: September 18, 2012, 05:39:29 pm »
Right i bought my car from Cheltnham vw last november and since then there are niggly bits gone wrong which they said they would cover under my warranty (+corrosion pending inpsection)

But when having my car Mot i no found that the high level brake light isnt working :sad1:

The lady in my local branch said they wouldnt cover it even thought i have an all component cover because its a bulb :confused: even though its a complete LED unit :signLOL: and i cant just change the bulb.

BUT i think i may have found a loop hole for my self  :grin:

Just need your opinions to see if i have a leg to stand on.

Basically i bought the car under the 'Approved' section meaning it should be 100%

2 months prior to buying my car it says on the mot check on the internet 'High level brake light inop'

Its under a advisory but still obviously its either not working or part working. Not 100% as it should be from a main dealer.

If im right in thinking should vw have replaced this regardless before i bought the car? :confused:

i have contacted them on many occasions and just no reply back so contacted the main manager there and he does seem to be doing a lot more to help me.

Do you think i have a leg to stand on?

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Bit of advice!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 07:46:17 pm »
The difference is that most bulbs are meant to be user-servicable ie you can change it. Or a bit like tyres where you can get any type to fit. If they said its a bulb, tell them you're in halfrauds and ask which type it is so you can buy it. If not, they should change it!

Also it should have been an MOT fail unless it was disconnected.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 07:51:35 pm »
For £45 save yourself the hassle and replace it yourself.

Offline nathangallo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 10:11:12 pm »
The difference is that most bulbs are meant to be user-servicable ie you can change it. Or a bit like tyres where you can get any type to fit. If they said its a bulb, tell them you're in halfrauds and ask which type it is so you can buy it. If not, they should change it!

Also it should have been an MOT fail unless it was disconnected.

Exactly what I was thinking ahah if I could have changed the "bulb" myself then I would have and not tried to get it done under warranty!
One of the manager I spoke to earlier was adimant that he has authorised one before under warranty as its a 'unit' not a 'bulb' so looks good :) shall get more news in the morning  :smiley:

Offline nathangallo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 10:12:52 pm »
For £45 save yourself the hassle and replace it yourself.

Have thought of it but if I can get it done the proper way for free then sweet, if not i may have to give it a go! But don't really want to as it seems a bit of a botch :sad1:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 10:16:16 pm »
If it's a botch, your option is let them botch it, or botch it yourself. I know which I'd prefer, and having done it myself I can tell you it is very easy. Still, it's worth a try.

Offline nathangallo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 10:27:50 pm »
If it's a botch, your option is let them botch it, or botch it yourself. I know which I'd prefer, and having done it myself I can tell you it is very easy. Still, it's worth a try.

When main dealer does it they take the spoiler off! And I suppose if they don't do this and do the short way and mess anything up they sort it out :smiley:

If I did it and brake something I'm the one forking out again!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 10:43:00 pm »
It's impossible to take the spoiler off without breaking it - it's bonded to the glass. The process they go through when replacing the high level brake light is break off the spoiler and replace it with a new one which must be painted and bonded to the rear screen again. I was quoted over £400 to do it. Or my alternative was to let them "botch it", however they wouldn't guarantee that it could be done without damaging the spoiler. I didn't fancy giving them that responsibility so did it myself.

Offline nathangallo

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 11:31:19 pm »
I have seen the DIY of how to do it yourself but I just don't know wether I want to do it :confused: