Other (please specify)
3 (2.8%)
P-torque
1 (0.9%)
PD tuning
6 (5.7%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Voting closed: October 19, 2012, 09:15:34 am

Author Topic: Which 2.0 TFSI/TSI Map/ECU upgrade do you have?  (Read 19051 times)

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Which 2.0 TFSI/TSI Map/ECU upgrade do you have?
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2012, 10:10:53 am »
Do you mean rIdiculous?

It is amusing and that for me is sufficient.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2012, 10:16:43 am »

Do you mean rIdiculous?

It is amusing and that for me is sufficient.

....Sufficient for me too. I greatly enjoy being amused and also very much enjoy watching "Friends" too.

But we are off-topic  :ashamed: - The character Sheldon Cooper is just the ultimate geek and would know the workings of an ECU inside out if he applied himself to it.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #32 on: September 20, 2012, 10:19:08 am »
a cat that juggles, now that would be amusing!! Compare that to say Moone Boy, chalk and cheese!!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: September 20, 2012, 10:19:57 am »
+1. Found friends similarly amusing.

Anyway, I went with Revo as they were a broader, more well known company at the time. I was weary of random remaps where the "tuner" had no knowledge of the ECU and would barely know how to apply the remap. I also held out until GTI inters where there was a discount (20% off and free sps switch).  

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #34 on: September 20, 2012, 10:27:05 am »
i did this a couple years back. The UK is definitely geared more towards REVO on the 2.0TFSI forums. 
But is that because APR shut up shop and left the UK a while back?

Just FYI they never shut up shop here. Awesome was the main APR UK importer, who then fell out with APR. Tuningwerkes in Croydon then became the Main UK importer.
Then late last year APR set up a fully owned HQ in the UK.

At the same time as APR binned some of the tuners that had stood by them in the wilderness years.  :surprised:

Offline Evan@APR

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: September 20, 2012, 10:35:16 am »
i did this a couple years back. The UK is definitely geared more towards REVO on the 2.0TFSI forums.  

Just FYI they never shut up shop here. Awesome was the main APR UK importer, who then fell out with APR. Tuningwerkes in Croydon then became the Main UK importer.
Then late last year APR set up a fully owned HQ in the UK.

Unfortunately that's not how most people see/saw it Dan and surely our competitors were able to gain some ground during that period. But no worries, we're here now doing everything we can to provide our products and services the best we can :)

And if anybody has any APR queries, please don't hesitate to contact me directly.
APR UK
www.goapr.co.uk | elight@goapr.com | 0845 680 3527
“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2012, 11:10:26 am »

maybe, REVO definitely benefited from that void, thats for sure.  It'll take a while for that to change i think though.

this Forum is definitely REVO, but then if you go to Briskoda then Shark Performance probably have the majority share, SCN has a pretty good mix of everything IMO, then VAGOC seem to be leaning towards APR.

Only reason that VAGOC is changing is purely because so many people follow JonnyC. That forum used to have a huge revo following. APR make awesome hardware bits and their marketing material is fantastic...that's about it for me in any case. I've always maintained that "Competition breeds excellence" and its good for the consumer. Arrogance however will lead to your downfall...

But why did jonnyc go from revo to APR?  :popcornsoda:

And tbh revo never had the 2.5tfsi market cornered anyway as there were issues with their map

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2012, 11:19:45 am »

But why did jonnyc go from revo to APR?  :popcornsoda:

....I think that major modders like Jonny (and Hurdy on here) will go to the first tuner who offers a remap suitable for their project, providing of course that they have confidence in that tuner.

Jonny can answer for himself of course, but he is a professional racing driver with a public profile and, as such, will be offered free products by many aftermarket suppliers or remaps or otherwise. He is also valuable as a pre public release tester and the reward is free product. Nothing wrong with that, IMO.

According to which car that Jonny is driving, I expect that he would happily recommend either APR or Revo - Both tuners are well established, highly reputable, and know what they are doing.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:21:23 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2012, 11:39:31 am »
how is your dsg remap from R Tech going btw, did it make much difference?? When you trying a Rev G DV btw??  :party:

It's fine, still same as per review  :happy2:, it made 50ft/lb more after Jabba tweaked the map after DSG remap.

I have no plans to try rev G anytime soon  :signLOL:

All this talk of "Long standing" tuners  :happy2:, pretty sure Jabba were tuning/Racing VW's before either APR or Revo existed  :signLOL: :signLOL:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 11:43:43 am by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #39 on: September 20, 2012, 11:41:50 am »

But why did jonnyc go from revo to APR?  :popcornsoda:

....I think that major modders like Jonny (and Hurdy on here) will go to the first tuner who offers a remap suitable for their project, providing of course that they have confidence in that tuner.

Jonny can answer for himself of course, but he is a professional racing driver with a public profile and, as such, will be offered free products by many aftermarket suppliers or remaps or otherwise. He is also valuable as a pre public release tester and the reward is free product. Nothing wrong with that, IMO.

According to which car that Jonny is driving, I expect that he would happily recommend either APR or Revo - Both tuners are well established, highly reputable, and know what they are doing.

Jonny pays for his mods.

And he was revo on his TTRS till he left them for APR. I can imagine there were two or 3 reasons for that  :popcornsoda:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: September 20, 2012, 11:56:30 am »

Jonny pays for his mods.

And he was revo on his TTRS till he left them for APR. I can imagine there were two or 3 reasons for that  :popcornsoda:

....I don't think it matters whether Jonny or anyone else pays for their mods or not - It is a very fair and acceptable way of being thanked for testing any product.

So, are you going to share the reasons you imagine or is the subject too controversial? Meanwhile the rest of us can only use our imagination and many will probably think the worst.

Surely this is a subject best answered by Jonny himself anyway, if he wishes to.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2012, 11:59:55 am »
Well it was posted on vagoc a few days ago in a TTRS thread that REVO blew his engine so I'd imagine that's the reason. Think it was hush hush before, but its certainly public knowledge on vagoc now :grin:
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 12:06:28 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2012, 12:09:45 pm »
Well, i am suprised this thread made it to page 3 beofre turning to sh*t. I will give it one more page then obviously it will get binned.  :indifferent:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2012, 12:17:55 pm »
I agree Mr Cat.

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #44 on: September 20, 2012, 12:58:38 pm »
Well it was posted on vagoc a few days ago in a TTRS thread that REVO blew his engine so I'd imagine that's the reason. Think it was hush hush before, but its certainly public knowledge on vagoc now :grin:
Not on VAGOC so any idea on what happened eg cause?