Make a donation

Author Topic: Should I buy a MK2 GTI?  (Read 2084 times)

Nasir

Should I buy a MK2 GTI?
« on: September 19, 2012, 10:37:49 pm »
My mind is set on buying a white MK2 GTI 16V. Coming from a MK5 Golf (non-GTI) I know not to expect refinement. My main concern is reliability, I understand it is a car older than myself so some work will be required every now and then. It would be my only car and a daily driver, of sorts.

I'm looking to spend under £2,000, can I get a good one for that price? How reliable is this car? Is it as much fun as it is made out to be? What are the general public's opinions of this car? As in how do people react to it?

Many thanks

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
Re: Should I buy a MK2 GTI?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2012, 10:56:01 pm »
I can't say how others view them but I have owned 4 of them over the years, great car and very revvy, when I see one they make me smile and drivers get a thumbs up from me!
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Nasir

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 10:59:41 pm »
I can't say how others view them but I have owned 4 of them over the years, great car and very revvy, when I see one they make me smile and drivers get a thumbs up from me!

Thanks for replying, I think it's very cool too.  Are they expensive to run? Mpg isn't too much of an issue as I don't do many miles. Is it reliable?

R32UK

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2012, 11:02:14 pm »
+1

When you see a tidy one drive past you cannot help but appreciate how good this car can actually look.

They will never really match the power of todays cars without spending some money on them.... However they have an advantage todays cars cannot match - weight!! Light and nimble for the power they put out still makes them one of the most fun cars to drive still to this day

Nasir

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 12:45:38 am »
+1

When you see a tidy one drive past you cannot help but appreciate how good this car can actually look.

They will never really match the power of todays cars without spending some money on them.... However they have an advantage todays cars cannot match - weight!! Light and nimble for the power they put out still makes them one of the most fun cars to drive still to this day

I'm not after big power, the standard 140 bhp is fine with me. Don't like modding. I want it to look exactly like this;http://www.wagenwheels.co.uk/car_images/stock16a.jpg

Offline Neiltdi

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 8
  • Full Hex+CAN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 06:43:22 am »
I didnt hae a mk2 but i had a mk1 golf 1.1 and put a mk2 golf gti engine in it , as long as you look after it there shouldnt be any problems and theres a lot less to go wrong with it than a newer gti.
Just make sure you like welding or you find a tidy one without any rust
Full Hex+CAN in Hampshire.

Offline Jgoodwood

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 07:07:53 am »
I've had 6 mk 2 GTi's over the years and they've all been brilliant. One (a 16v big bumper) covered 70k miles in 18 months due to a big commute and was faultless. Need an oil change every 6k miles and can suffer from head gasket failure with big miles but that's pretty much it.  Ian from wagen wheels is a good chap too - he will find you the best possible for your budget but you'd need to spend more then £2k for a really nice one.

Hope that helps...

J

Offline jimojameso

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 07:51:24 am »
I had a mk2 valver and was great. No refinement like the mk5 gti but bags of fun and cost pennies to run compared to a mk5!!!  :happy2:
2010 Audi TT RS - Sepang Blue - 420BHP, 600NM

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 08:51:43 am »
I agree with the above - a mk2 is good fun, should be able to find one for £2k.

I would say if looked after they are reliable, I had a fuel pump go in mine when I had it and a wheel bearing but nothing major.  I knew the fuel pump was on the way out and was just a matter of waiting for it to fail really as they can make a dodgy noise for years before failing.

Mine had the trip computer and reported around 42-47MPG on a little run to the next town - 40miles round trip, which I was rather impressed with.

Engine's are pretty bullet proof.

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 09:25:44 am »
Yeah as above they are a cracking car just try get one that's clean and tidy and has no scene tax on it as that can take the p1ss a bit 4 and 5 k for a car that's worth 2 at the most  :stupid:  :signLOL:

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 09:45:29 am »
Just be aware that cars that look super clean from the top can be rotten underneath!

Make sure you get any prospective cars on a ramp and give them a good look over from the underside.  :happy2:

Offline MAT ED30

• Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 09:47:27 am »
Also get the last few mot certificate numbers too as rust should show up on them if its got any

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Nasir

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 02:20:38 pm »
Many thanks for the replies, a wealth of information here as always. I will make sure the car has little to no rust (if it does, I'll make sure the price reflects it). It all sounds promising. I didn't know that an MOT test would take note of the rust, quite handy  :happy2:

I've had 6 mk 2 GTi's over the years and they've all been brilliant. One (a 16v big bumper) covered 70k miles in 18 months due to a big commute and was faultless. Need an oil change every 6k miles and can suffer from head gasket failure with big miles but that's pretty much it.  Ian from wagen wheels is a good chap too - he will find you the best possible for your budget but you'd need to spend more then £2k for a really nice one.

Hope that helps...

J

They must be good if you've had six  :signLOL:

I will let you know how I get on  :happy2:

Offline RENNTAG

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 23
  • Premium Performance Parts
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 03:52:00 pm »
Go for it, great cars :happy2:

Dont think you can be a true GTI fan untill you have owned a mk2 GTI. i have had two and would buy them both back if i could.

Mine were both very reliable often did a 500 mile roundtrip to york and back in them  :happy2:

Offline daboy3000

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 9
  • MKV GT TDi
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 04:20:25 pm »
I've had a few too, great cars but I would get a late one if buying another, power steering is a must these days.  I'm actually thinking of selling my mk5 and getting a late clipper.