Make a donation

Author Topic: New Jaguar F-Type  (Read 4519 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
New Jaguar F-Type
« on: September 20, 2012, 12:43:43 pm »

Offline dodds-gttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 22
  • -Receive: 34
  • Edinburgh
    • Email
Re: New Jaguar F-Type
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 12:57:32 pm »
 :drool: :happy2: Lovely Car. Nowhere near my budget, or age-range but good to see some nicely designed cars on the road.  :happy2:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 01:14:05 pm »
Or age-range...

It's the first Jag in ages that I think might challenge that stereotype... though I'm prepared to be wrong about that!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 01:34:46 pm »
This was the one from FoS.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 02:46:11 pm »
The headlights look like either frog's eyes or the eyes of a startled rabbit!

The front body styling imitates a Maserati. The previous Jag imitated the Aston Martin. What's happened to Jaguar's styling? It used to be so elegant:

^ The C-type  :notworthy:

^ The E-type  :notworthy:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2012, 03:40:37 pm »
I am with you on that one RR!

However they need to attract cough, cough :-) younger crowd!

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

justsean

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2012, 03:44:12 pm »
I think it looks excellent - first jag that doesn't look like a grandad car

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2012, 04:23:05 pm »

I think it looks excellent - first jag that doesn't look like a grandad car

....You are obviously not old enough to be familiar with other Jaguars in their history - I assure you that they were far from being a grandad car. It's only the relatively recent saloons which have earned them that reputation.

Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look that bad but it doesn't display any originality or signs of the thoroughbred that Jaguar once was.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 04:24:43 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2012, 04:37:38 pm »
I am with you on that one RR!

However they need to attract cough, cough :-) younger crowd!

Paul

Your right about Jaguar attracting the younger peeps, think there getting there with the F Type.  :happy2:

Have previously said that jags are for the older Gent/Lady, as with my father's Jag E type OTS I look out of place and far too young (am 40) and he looks spot on (he's 70), I know it's a classic car which is different but I believe that stands for the XK8/XKR as well. Would be interested to know who is their target market/demographic is nowadays.

Would happily give a kidney for the supercharged 5.0-litre V8 F Type  though.  :drool: :drool:

Love that C Type Robin, had a ride (as a passenger obviously) in one on the way down to the LeMan classic some years back. Most expensive car I have ever sat in, was afraid to touch anything let alone ask for a go behind the wheel.  :notworthy:

:drinking:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2012, 04:50:19 pm »

Love that C Type Robin, had a ride (as a passenger obviously) in one on the way down to the LeMan classic some years back. Most expensive car I have ever sat in, was afraid to touch anything let alone ask for a go behind the wheel.  :notworthy:

....I took quite a few pics of that C-type at a local hillclimb recently and had a chat with the owner. Good to see such a car being used  :notworthy:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2012, 04:51:23 pm »
Don't get me wrong, it doesn't look that bad but it doesn't display any originality or signs of the thoroughbred that Jaguar once was.

I think it would be risky for Jaguar to play too heavily on its heritage, or try and embed visual cues that hark back to Jaguars of the past. It would be all too easy for the company to be seen to be jumping on the retro bandwagon (I'm thinking Beetle, Mini, Fiat 500 etc). They're certainly aiming for a younger market, and indeed people who have no knowledge of the beautiful cars they have been responsible for, yet alone memories of them. I'm 33 and to be honest I can't remember a car they have produced in my lifetime that was truly desirable (XJ220 excluded).

I think the Coupe will almost certainly look better than this.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 05:07:37 pm »
^^^^
33yo? Pah! You're just a boy!  :laugh: I could easily be your father!

As a teenager I had a close friend whose family owned a D-type. In those days the Police would literally stop you because they were enthusiastically interested in the car and not for speeding. I have a few stories about that car and also the full race 3.8 Jag saloon they had which was road legal. One of my best mate's first cars was a very stylish 1940's Jag. I drove it a few times and it was very nimble and exciting. But I digress.

Andrew, I agree about the retro aspect but because of Jaguars being in my earlier life, I just seek something more equivalent from them. But of course, they are not the same company any longer. Who owns Jaguar nowadays?

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2012, 05:11:31 pm »
It's part of Tata still I think...

Offline rdfcpete

• Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2012, 05:58:45 pm »
I was oggling' reading this in Evo. It looks gorgeous. There's little else to be said  :evilgrin:
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2012, 06:07:11 pm »
^^^^
33yo? Pah! You're just a boy!  :laugh: I could easily be your Grandfather!
As a teenager I had a close friend whose family owned a D-type. In those days the Police would literally stop you because they were enthusiastically interested in the car and not for speeding. I have a few stories about that car and also the full race 3.8 Jag saloon they had which was road legal. One of my best mate's first cars was a very stylish 1940's Jag. I drove it a few times and it was very nimble and exciting. But I digress.

Andrew, I agree about the retro aspect but because of Jaguars being in my earlier life, I just seek something more equivalent from them. But of course, they are not the same company any longer. Who owns Jaguar nowadays?

Fixed that for you Robin :signLOL:
Golf R gone.