Make a donation

Author Topic: What ever next !!!!!!!!!.  (Read 1794 times)

Offline Gene Hunt

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
Re: What ever next !!!!!!!!!.
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2012, 07:29:32 pm »
Complete joke, mechanical car washes are crap and costs to much which is why people go to the local "pop up" car wash. I can see he why he wants regulation there but to go as far as banning people washing their own car at home is stupid.

On a side note, if this muppet manages to get this through what would it do to the detailers and the detailing industry?

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2012, 07:30:41 pm »
this already happens in germany, you have to go to special places to wash your car by yourself

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2012, 07:32:03 pm »
This part of the article got me,

"The ban on car washing in the street is in force in a number of German towns and cities, such as Dresden, where restrictions are in force to keep the sewerage system clean of the detritus generated by the activity."

Well since our local highway authority don't even clean the road gullies out to the point where the grass is growing out gully pot, i doubt any car washing detritus could get into the sewage system.  :signLOL:
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2012, 07:33:11 pm »
Truly absurd. Agree with this completely:

“It is a ritual and a fundamental right up there with the Magna Carta,” said Edmund King, the AA’s president.

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2012, 07:33:19 pm »
this already happens in germany, you have to go to special places to wash your car by yourself

Yeah but only if you have on street parking, you can do what you like on you own property.
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline boxxer1973

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 08:38:51 pm »
I'll take it if we can drive on the motorways the same speed as the Germans too
Mk5 golf Gti REVO. stg2+
Milltek | Auto tech | White line | Forge | REVO | KW | Quaife | helix clutch |

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 09:07:33 pm »
There is good reason for this proposal. Without an oil interceptor, oil, petrol/diesel etc. gets into the surface water drainage system. Not great. You may think it's no big deal, but it does cause pollution.
'07 Red manual

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 09:44:16 pm »

Yeah but only if you have on street parking, you can do what you like on you own property.

Even on your drive.  Washing with chemicals (shampoo or anything) is verboten  :sick:

Was fine while I lived on camp for 4 years but when I got a house in a mountain village it was a paranoid, checkin over the shoulder snow foam session and was lucky not to be fined

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 11:40:17 pm »
This would just add to the multitude of reasons why I'm leaving this country as soon as I graduate
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2012, 12:11:12 am »

As long as water doesn't drain back into public sewers.

I remember my old man once washing the car on our property, a big drive miles away from the public road and someone still reported us lol

h4rdy

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2012, 05:07:12 am »
I'll have a very dirty car.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2012, 08:30:14 am »

There is good reason for this proposal. Without an oil interceptor, oil, petrol/diesel etc. gets into the surface water drainage system. Not great. You may think it's no big deal, but it does cause pollution.

....But how does oil, petrol/diesel, get into the surface water drainage system when you are washing your car?  :confused:

Surely there would be more likelihood of oil etc being dropped from long term parked cars (if they leak).

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline screech

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2012, 09:24:12 am »
Surely they'll never be able to bring that in!

Il be installing a bunded driveway if they do, see what they can say then!!

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2012, 04:13:46 pm »
There are 3 types of public sewers that may be under our roads:
Foul - foul & wastewater from WC, sinks, washing machines, dishwashers, etc. Discharges to a watercourse after processing at a treatment plant.
Surface - rainwater runoff from roofs and paved areas. Discharges directly to a watercourse.
Combined - foul, waste and surface water. Discharges to a watercourse after processing at a treatment plant. As far as I know about 2/3rds of our sewers are combined.

You would have to ask your local authority to determine what is under the street outside your house. If you snowfoam, wash etc. on the driveway, all that wastewater goes into the surface water system on your property, which then discharges to the public sewage system. If your street has a combined sewer it will be treated. If there are separate foul and surface water sewers, it will NOT be treated and will pollute a watercourse.

To be prudent you should at least empty your washbuckets into the gully where your kitchen or bathroom waste pipes discharge, NOT the gully under the rainwater pipes. You will then be sure that the water will be treated. This is also why councils can fine homeowners (quite heavily) who install dishwashers etc. and connect the waste pipe into a rainwater gully.

I assume in Germany they don't use combined sewers hence the strict rules.

....But how does oil, petrol/diesel, get into the surface water drainage system when you are washing your car?  :confused:
It would be oil, coolant etc. that has dripped out of your poorly maintained car and is then carried into the surface water system by the washwater.
Surely there would be more likelihood of oil etc being dropped from long term parked cars (if they leak).
This is then washed into the street gullies and into either a surface water or combined sewer. Street car washing just adds to the volume of contaminants possibly entering our watercourses if there isn't a combined sewer.

'07 Red manual