« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 05:04:00 pm »
Removed
« Last Edit: October 11, 2012, 09:49:31 am by nickg123 »

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Re: Black Mk5 GTi, Full Write-up (Becoming a project)!
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2012, 12:00:07 am »
Great work!  :happy2: Good to see proof that even after years of neglect a car can be turned around.
'07 Red manual

Offline liver

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2012, 08:30:24 am »
great turn around

i bet he wont want to sell it when he gets it back

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2012, 09:37:11 am »
You've done an excellent job and he now owes you big time!

The car looked as if it was in shocking condition due to neglect. I hope that the owner didn't neglect the car's servicing in the same manner! Actually, with faults like the DV it screams out that he is very guilty of neglect. Personally I wouldn't touch that car with a barge pole no matter how good it looks on the outside.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JStav

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2012, 01:44:44 pm »

The car looked as if it was in shocking condition due to neglect. I hope that the owner didn't neglect the car's servicing in the same manner! Actually, with faults like the DV it screams out that he is very guilty of neglect. Personally I wouldn't touch that car with a barge pole no matter how good it looks on the outside.

Guilty of neglect based on a broken diverter valve?  :grin:  My diverter valve had a tear in it and I had no idea until it was put on a rolling road and a boost leak was suspected.  My car has wanted for nothing.  Very presumptious in my opinion.
Silver GTI, Revo Stage 1, R32 rear bumper, R32 exhaust, R32 rear lights, ED30 front splitter, RCD510, Lowered on Eibachs, open fog grills.

Offline nickg123

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2012, 04:00:04 pm »

Guilty of neglect based on a broken diverter valve?  :grin:  My diverter valve had a tear in it and I had no idea until it was put on a rolling road and a boost leak was suspected.  My car has wanted for nothing.  Very presumptious in my opinion.

Was going to say pretty much what you had but you beat me to it!  If anything it shows how easy it was driven, his wife didn't notice any lack of power as she hardly ever put her foot down...  It's not as if it's done damage running it like that?  To be honest, it went to VW for the Coilpacks to be done and they didn't even know what the fault with underboosting was - You'd think any main dealer would know straight away but I wonder how many people are driving around in cars with the 2.0TFSi with a damaged diverter valve wondering why their car is poor on fuel and not as quick as it used to be - I bet loads of garages fail to diagnose that fault.

The car has had every service done firstly by Ridgeway VW (Wantage) followed by a local independent garage that he's used for years so it definitely hasn't been neglected in that sense - Just the outside paintwork to most people isn't something they worry about - It's only a few of us that take it to this level haha.  I don't believe the owner ever washed it himself as he even paid for that to be done on a regular basis - Doesn't mean they were washing it in the right way though hence all the swirls and light scratches. 

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 04:08:48 pm »
Looks a great turn around  :happy2:

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Rhys_Gti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 04:28:56 pm »
great phots and brilliant turn around.
makes me remember its time mine went in for a winter prep detail.
great work  :happy2:

Offline JStav

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2012, 04:30:12 pm »

Guilty of neglect based on a broken diverter valve?  :grin:  My diverter valve had a tear in it and I had no idea until it was put on a rolling road and a boost leak was suspected.  My car has wanted for nothing.  Very presumptious in my opinion.

Was going to say pretty much what you had but you beat me to it!  If anything it shows how easy it was driven, his wife didn't notice any lack of power as she hardly ever put her foot down...  It's not as if it's done damage running it like that?  To be honest, it went to VW for the Coilpacks to be done and they didn't even know what the fault with underboosting was - You'd think any main dealer would know straight away but I wonder how many people are driving around in cars with the 2.0TFSi with a damaged diverter valve wondering why their car is poor on fuel and not as quick as it used to be - I bet loads of garages fail to diagnose that fault.

The car has had every service done firstly by Ridgeway VW (Wantage) followed by a local independent garage that he's used for years so it definitely hasn't been neglected in that sense - Just the outside paintwork to most people isn't something they worry about - It's only a few of us that take it to this level haha.  I don't believe the owner ever washed it himself as he even paid for that to be done on a regular basis - Doesn't mean they were washing it in the right way though hence all the swirls and light scratches.  

Well said, completely agree with you.  I assume it's not in the service specifications to check diverter valve health either?  If you don't go in with a complaint I can't see why it would be checked by a standard garage.  That is unless of course you're a modder and go to performance garages in which I assume they'd check it to ensure they get the best results from the work they carry out.

I'm pretty sure if my parents had a golf GTI they'd have no idea what a diverter valve was!  
« Last Edit: September 26, 2012, 04:32:31 pm by JStav »
Silver GTI, Revo Stage 1, R32 rear bumper, R32 exhaust, R32 rear lights, ED30 front splitter, RCD510, Lowered on Eibachs, open fog grills.

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2012, 04:48:04 pm »
Great turn around , youve rescued that one for sure! Did you get the wheels gone in a darker shade of silver than normal , or is that the light in the pics?
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2012, 06:06:44 pm »
^^^^
Re missing that DV fault, I can see where you are coming from on this and also how my view on this can be seen as presumptious - Indeed it is presumptious. I take the view that it would be entirely reasonable to presume a very low level of care for this car based on everything, not just the DV, you have posted about it. I'm only saying how I would be completely put off buying this car and not how others might or might not be.

Rightly or wrongly I find it difficult to understand a driver not realising they were down on power and furthermore doing nothing to investigate it. It doesn't matter whether it's a DV or not, nor whether the owner knows what a DV is or not - It's simply a reflection of a careless attitude towards the maintenance of their car. And that's why I wouldn't want to buy it. However, someone will buy it and be happy about it.

Respect to you for the rescue and I hope that there isn't anything else about the car which may need more serious attention as a result of not being looked after.

I'm just expressing an opinion  :smiley:.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JStav

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Facebook
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2012, 07:07:53 pm »
^^^^
Re missing that DV fault, I can see where you are coming from on this and also how my view on this can be seen as presumptious - Indeed it is presumptious. I take the view that it would be entirely reasonable to presume a very low level of care for this car based on everything, not just the DV, you have posted about it. I'm only saying how I would be completely put off buying this car and not how others might or might not be.

Rightly or wrongly I find it difficult to understand a driver not realising they were down on power and furthermore doing nothing to investigate it. It doesn't matter whether it's a DV or not, nor whether the owner knows what a DV is or not - It's simply a reflection of a careless attitude towards the maintenance of their car. And that's why I wouldn't want to buy it. However, someone will buy it and be happy about it.

Respect to you for the rescue and I hope that there isn't anything else about the car which may need more serious attention as a result of not being looked after.

I'm just expressing an opinion  :smiley:.

You are indeed just expressing an opinion as am I :)  However you did specifically mention "faults like the DV scream he is very guilty of neglect," which I don't agree with. 

As already mentioned his wife drove the car and never tested out it's performance, and as such I can easily see why she would not notice a difference in performance.  Again in my circumstance I had never driven another GTI, thus had nothing to compare to that would indicate the car may have had issues.  These two situations used as an example to me do not indicate "a reflection of careless attitude towards the maintenance of their car."

Guess my point was I don't think it's appropriate to tar every situation with the same brush, and as such I certainly don't feel myself or the owner of the car in question showed simple reflections of careless attitudes towards maintaining their vehicles.  Every car should be taken on it's own merit and I personally don't think the owner of this vehicle will have any issue selling it.

Again just an opinion :)

Good luck with the sale!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2012, 07:22:17 pm »
^^^^
@ JStav: That's cool. No problem  :happy2:

Offline maxload

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 29
  • Edition30 - No.1819
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2012, 09:55:32 pm »
That's alot of work there fella , great finish  :happy2: