Make a donation

Author Topic: quietest tyres  (Read 8289 times)

scottm72

quietest tyres
« on: September 25, 2012, 12:20:08 am »
hi guys, i need new tyres for my 08 gti i just got the other day but i want something with the quietest road noise available.
it has michelins on it just now with the fronts at 4mm and the backs at 3.5 mms and i assume the road noise i get is maybe a combination of pretty worn tyres and just the brand being noisy ?
if anyone has any feedback on this can you let me know,
i only want to use premium tyres but finding it hard to get unbiased reviews
all the best guys

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
Re: quietest tyres
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 12:40:05 am »
The quietest tyres ive ever had are PS3's, not badly priced either, although not fantastic on wear!

scottm72

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 12:52:41 am »
dont mind if a tyre wears down a bit quicker than say a continental but what i need is something very quiet, very grippy so it gives me the best chance in the snow to come, dont want winters on this car but something softish and quiet with decent mileage i guess, i used to sell tyres many years ago and pirelli was the grippiest then but that was a while ago and dont know about there road noise etc

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 01:02:51 am »
Look on tyre comparison sites, but PS3's get my vote, bout £119 a tyre

scottm72

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 01:26:08 am »
thanks for your advise but find the comparison sites to biased so thought i would put the question to gti users,,,, is road noise normal at 3.5mm, compared to new 7mm tyre

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 08:28:54 am »

dont mind if a tyre wears down a bit quicker than say a continental but what i need is something very quiet, very grippy so it gives me the best chance in the snow to come, dont want winters on this car but something softish and quiet with decent mileage i guess, i used to sell tyres many years ago and pirelli was the grippiest then but that was a while ago and dont know about there road noise etc

....The only grippy tyres which will stand a chance in the snow are purpose-made Winter tyres. You should know that if you used to sell tyres, mate.  :surprised:

"Very quiet" and "very grippy" don't usually go together.

Driving through any snow is never usually quiet anyway, so why does it matter?

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Black9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 09:49:48 am »
I agree with RR, any type of sports tyre will make no difference in the snow. If u want a faulty grippy and damp weather tyre with low noise I recommend the uniroyal RS2

scottm72

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 11:53:06 am »
rr maybe im not making myself clear here, yes i used to sell tyres many years ago in fact i managed the place and disagree with you on the fact that the only option is a snow tyre.
please let me clarify what i am looking for
i am looking for a tyre that is quiet to run ( not talking about when there is snow but the rest of the year instead )
i am also needing the tyre to have a soft compound so IT WILL HELP IN THE SNOW, not snow tyre capabilities
when i was in the tyre game all manufacturers had different characteristics attached to their product with best sellers in this order, michelin = ( good all round tyre ),,,,, bridgestone = ( also good all round tyre but slightly less popular than michelin,,, continental =( good mileage tyre but not the best as quite a hard compound and stopping distances a bit more than previous two,,, pirelli = ( good grippy tyre but wears down a bit quick due to soft compound ) then goodyear / dunlop = ( same company so quality a bit similar,,, not classed as a premium tyre in a lot of sizes but better than a mid range )
that was the feedback and training i got from manufacturers and literally thousands of customers,,,, not saying it is spot on but when i was in the selling game and with the tread patterns available at that time and the quality each brand possessed that was the general layout.
so each road tyre in the size i am looking for has different characteristics, some will be noisier that others and some will grip better than others, my question is what is the current best mix of these two things,,,,,
not meaning to rub you up the wrong way rr but there is a proper mix out there and that is what i am trying to find

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 01:31:58 pm »
^^^^
Don't worry, you aren't rubbing me up the wrong way, mate - Nor are you rubbering me up the wrong way  :grin:

I'm afraid that your original post wasn't clear enough and I misunderstood you. No problem and thanks for explaining further  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

scottm72

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 01:57:43 pm »
^^^^
Don't worry, you aren't rubbing me up the wrong way, mate - Nor are you rubbering me up the wrong way  :grin:

I'm afraid that your original post wasn't clear enough and I misunderstood you. No problem and thanks for explaining further  :happy2:

thanks for that rr, yes i wasnt very clear on original post so apologies, do you think a lot of the noise i am getting is due to the tyres being at 4mm at best ?
and also they have the 3 all round grooves on my tyres which i am not sure if they are related to road noise apposed to something like a sideways always tread,,, are they quieter ? i will keep looking for answers for a while, many than ks again

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 02:20:47 pm »

thanks for that rr, yes i wasnt very clear on original post so apologies, do you think a lot of the noise i am getting is due to the tyres being at 4mm at best ?
and also they have the 3 all round grooves on my tyres which i am not sure if they are related to road noise apposed to something like a sideways always tread,,, are they quieter ? i will keep looking for answers for a while, many than ks again

....My own car's setup with aftermarket engine mounts, non-resonated Milltek exhaust, and various suspension and handling mods, tend to mask tyre noise so I am not the best person to know the answer to your question. Tyre noise is not something which registers, so I can only conclude that it's not intrusive in my case.

I have been running on Goodyear Asymmetrics for quite a few sets now and like their wet and dry fast road handling characteristics - It's a case of it works so why mend it.

Hopefully some other guys here will be better able to answer your question  :happy2:

scottm72

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 02:44:15 pm »
thanks rr, thats actually the tyres that i have found best so far the new goodyear asymetricals but will keep looking for feedback on them as i can only get biased manufacturing feedback just now, thanks again

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2012, 03:12:16 pm »
I' Using the The Proxes T1R tyres and get good feedback from them not to noisey either, very good in the dry & good in the wet...

I've been happy with them so far.

:wink:
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2012, 03:44:57 pm »

thanks rr, thats actually the tyres that i have found best so far the new goodyear asymetricals but will keep looking for feedback on them as i can only get biased manufacturing feedback just now, thanks again

....Well, I'm not an expert tyre tester but driving on GY Asymmetrics since they were first introduced, I have driven all year round on them through all seasonal weather and still felt confident in them. Obviously they will have limitations such as grip in snow but I live on the South coast and simply don't drive when there is snow.

They have greatly surprised me positively in torrential rain and standing water conditions although I always slow down accordingly. So, Goodyear Asymmetrics get my vote  :happy2:

scottm72

« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2012, 03:51:36 pm »

....Well, I'm not an expert tyre tester but driving on GY Asymmetrics since they were first introduced, I have driven all year round on them through all seasonal weather and still felt confident in them. Obviously they will have limitations such as grip in snow but I live on the South coast and simply don't drive when there is snow.
thanks for that, i have found the goodyear up to date tread pattern and they are £440 for a set of 4, will keep on it until i decide on the wheels, thanks

They have greatly surprised me positively in torrential rain and standing water conditions although I always slow down accordingly. So, Goodyear Asymmetrics get my vote  :happy2: