Make a donation

Author Topic: quietest tyres  (Read 8293 times)

Offline ArildStavrum

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 8
Re: quietest tyres
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 04:09:37 pm »
Are Hankook tyres any good?

scottm72

« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 04:12:28 pm »
wasnt a brand i was alloyed to stock ( hancooks ) so dunno about them

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2012, 06:52:26 pm »
During the 11 month ownership of my GTI it had pilot sport 3's on all round, from factory. Down to about 3mm all round after 5 months and the road noise was noticeable for sure. I changed all four for P-Zero's and the road noise was cut by half. I think P-Zero's are a softer tyre anyway.
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline Starshaped

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2012, 08:00:08 pm »
These new stickers on tyres have info like noise on them so sites you are looking at will probably tell you which are quiet.

scottm72

« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2012, 10:19:32 pm »
thanks guys, yes i just bought the car, to clarify,,, the wheels that where on the car when the garage got it where original monza 11s fom factory and had the 4 michelins on it already so rather than reconing the wheels they simply put reps onto the existing tyres hence the reason why i now have new rep alloys with decent tyres on them,,, but,,, although all 4 tyres are michelins the 2 on the left side are different tread patterns to the 2 on the right side and 2 of the tyres are the originals ( can tell by the dot code date on the tyres ) so at some point the lady that owned the car previouslly had 2 new tyres on but for some stupid reason the selling garage put them on the wrong axels as they should have put the same tread on the back and the other 2 on the front,,,, hope that clears that up now.
anyway as i said before the tread pattern is very very minor difference with only the outside wall of the tyre being a different threading so i wont bother swapping them around to save poss damage by stupid garage.
i am still deciding wether to put new tyres on the reps bearing in mind they are 7 days old today and as far as reps go they seem good ones,,, or on the other hand i may buy new genuine shadow monzas with new tyres as a package or something.
i know some people say reps are garbage but are they really ?
i have read reviews on the comparisons and i cant really see any massive feedback difference,,, i am not saying there isnt but before i spend major money on genuins i will be looking for more evidence,,,, you could argue the point that a gti enthuisiast will know they are reps but i guess thats about 1 person out of a thousand or so that will see my car day to day,,,,,,,, do you see my point here.
so to me putting premium tyres onto rep wheels is not madness unless i can find some kind of feedback or proof that the wheels are inferior.
i have read the differences in forged wheels etc but basically it just says that they are better and not really a problem not to have ?????
if anyone has any links or anything that makes the differences clear then please let me know.
and also i think the 3 grooves i have on the miches that go all around the tyre ( the central three quarter pattern ) are a contributing factor to road noise,,,, im not 100% on this but i think a tread pattern that doesnt have the deep grooves in a complete circular pattern may be quieter, i need to do a bit more study on this.
i personally have sold prob in the region of 15000 tyres when i worked for quik fit as every sale went through me, we also had a few taxi fleets so i got massive feedback over the years but this was a few years ago and i aint up to date on the current tread patterns and not a heck of a lot of people asked the question about very low road noise tyres,,,,,, hey i would maybe notice straight away that my current tyres are noisy due to the tread left as soon as i put any new set of 4 on but i dont want to have the same problem in a year or so time when they get down to 5mm or so hence the questions ( do you get my point here )
anyway any thoughts are appreciated guys

Offline capone

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2012, 11:09:38 pm »
Have had Goodyear F1 Assy 2's on for 3-4 weeks now, so well run in.

Very quiet compared to budget rubbish on before. Grip is VASTLY better especially in the wet. Can push on hard, wet or dry.

Would recommend highly. Get them on. :happy2:

scottm72

« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 11:18:03 pm »
Have had Goodyear F1 Assy 2's on for 3-4 weeks now, so well run in.

Very quiet compared to budget rubbish on before. Grip is VASTLY better especially in the wet. Can push on hard, wet or dry.

Would recommend highly. Get them on. :happy2:
capone many thanks,,, my own research has put they tyres at the top of my list already, they look the best so well done the fact you got them,,, looks like the tyre i am heading towards tbh,,, how much did you pay,,, cheapest i seen was £420 delivered

Offline Ben Smith

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2012, 08:09:37 pm »
All tyres made now have a new label on. This gives the buyer a lot more info including a tyre noise decibel number. Sadly I'm not sure which are the quietest as we are only a small company and don't keep huge stocks, but keep an eye out for these. They also give fuel economy and wet weather performance ratings. It looks like the sticker you get on a washing machine etc!

AA

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2012, 09:05:14 pm »
I' Using the The Proxes T1R tyres and get good feedback from them not to noisey either, very good in the dry & good in the wet...

I've been happy with them so far.

:wink:
X2  Had these on for the past 15000miles  Great allrounder. IIRC I paid £80ea fitted
 Only tyre that I've had on which was quiet was the Michelin Energy ££££££££ but 20000miles
 Im due a change shortly especially with the winter approaching fast

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2012, 09:59:32 pm »
you will be surprised at the label that come s with the michelin tyres
http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-ps2?fromTyreSelector=true&brand=volkswagen&selectorMode=byCar&model=golf v&range=golf&engine=2.0 fsi 150&year=2003 - 2008&fromTyreSegment=1&carId=4W167451#tab-tyres-sizes
hankook
http://www.hankooktire-eu.com/uk/tyres/passenger-cars.html

scottm72

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2012, 02:00:06 am »
you will be surprised at the label that come s with the michelin tyres
http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-ps2?fromTyreSelector=true&brand=volkswagen&selectorMode=byCar&model=golf v&range=golf&engine=2.0 fsi 150&year=2003 - 2008&fromTyreSegment=1&carId=4W167451#tab-tyres-sizes
hankook
http://www.hankooktire-eu.com/uk/tyres/passenger-cars.html
na i never beleive any tyres label as they are of biased opinion and miches are on it just now and are noisy

Offline Ben Smith

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2012, 06:04:22 am »
I'm not sure if the tyre companies or an independent tester issue label as we had a Mich and a budget debica in last week with the same db rating. where the Mich scored better was on fuel and weather conditions.

scottm72

« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2012, 07:07:14 pm »
I'm not sure if the tyre companies or an independent tester issue label as we had a Mich and a budget debica in last week with the same db rating. where the Mich scored better was on fuel and weather conditions.
it is the manufacturers own labels so i dont trust them, better listenning to loads of people who drive the same car prob

Offline Black9

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2012, 08:06:05 pm »
Pirelli P-Zero Nero was rated EVO mags num one over all tyre in 2012s tyre test which was carried out on a new shape Audi A3 albeit with 17" wheels. Maybe worth a try

scottm72

« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2012, 08:44:11 pm »
Pirelli P-Zero Nero was rated EVO mags num one over all tyre in 2012s tyre test which was carried out on a new shape Audi A3 albeit with 17" wheels. Maybe worth a try
thanks