Make a donation

Author Topic: Faulty electric lumbar  (Read 1586 times)

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
Faulty electric lumbar
« on: September 25, 2012, 01:02:45 am »
My lumbar only works in and out, no longer up and down. Are there 2 motors in each seat? No error lights on the dash, it just happened randomly one day.

2007 Edition 30

Thanks

MPS

Re: Faulty electric lumbar
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 04:56:26 pm »
Aha!! Not just me then. Welcome to the faulty electric lumbar club! :drinking:

VW have made a revised part for this problem, but very stupidly it is only available as part of a kit with all the other unneeded parts, ie lumbar mat and both motors. We only need to replace the one. What usually happens is that the cable that travels up and down to adjust the positioning of the lumbar mat gets wound around a pulley -  the torque/tension becomes too much for the plastic pulley wheel to cope with and it snaps - letting go of the cable and there you have it - no adjustment. Piss poor design really. My lateral lumbar is fine, just the up and down which is fooked. Very unluckily for me the up/down broke in the wrong place so I don't get the required support where it should be in the lumbar region (small of your back). You can still hear the motor run when you press the button though so thats ok.

A guy in Oz had the same problem, a link below with photos to give you an idea

http://www.vwwatercooled.org.au/forums/f15/mkv-gti-leather-lumbar-support-not-working-53158.html

This photo says it all really:

« Last Edit: September 27, 2012, 04:59:31 pm by MPS »

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
Re: Faulty electric lumbar
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 05:16:05 pm »
Damn. Oh well, I am happy with the old in out in out for now  :wink: