Make a donation

Author Topic: drls ?  (Read 1291 times)

scottm72

drls ?
« on: September 25, 2012, 01:19:04 am »
hi guys, want to buy daytime running lights and i want them to be noticeable, i currently have factory fitted bi xenons which i love but during the day i keep the side lights on which are below the headlight unit,,,, does the normal light configoration of the gti that does not have factory fitted xenons have the side lights incorporated into the headlight cluster ? or is it just that i have xenoms that it is below that on mine ?
anyway i want drls but not sure if they go in place of the side lights and is it just a bulb change or unit change ?
any help appreciated

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: drls ?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2012, 06:52:54 am »
^^^^ all DRL's will be noticeable due to the amount/type of light they produce so wherever you put them, peeps will see you coming.  Loads of dodgy/chavy looking headlights on eBay with DRL's incorporated into them. ASAIK, two kinds of DRL's can go where your fog lights are. Option 1 is a small strip along side the fog light.

http://www.veedubmachine.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=348_353_96&products_id=1198

Or DRL's, RedRobin style, his guide...

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1917.0.html

Same question as yours..............asked before. "Search" is your friend 

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,13524.0.html

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

scottm72

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2012, 10:46:44 am »
thanks, new to site so didnt see the search box lol, will check out the link and thanks again

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2012, 11:10:29 am »
There's also a thread and pics of those veedubmachine DRL panels fitted by one of the guys here. A Search might help you find it - I would do a Search for you myself but it's better for newbies to learn for themselves  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

scottm72

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2012, 11:28:13 am »
thanks for that, looks way to much work to install drl in place of the fog lights and would def prefer either along side the fogs or more likely just the strip along side the fogs,,,, would be good to change the front side lights for them but i guess that would not be legal, just change the bulbs maybe ?
will phone vw and grill them lol

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 01:45:03 pm »
thanks for that, looks way to much work to install drl in place of the fog lights and would def prefer either along side the fogs or more likely just the strip along side the fogs,,,, would be good to change the front side lights for them but i guess that would not be legal, just change the bulbs maybe ?
will phone vw and grill them lol

I like those dubmachine DRL panels , if they weren't sold out I may have even be tempted to do my first mod!
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

scottm72

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 06:27:47 pm »
THANKS FOR THE LINK, SO AROUND £100, ARE THEY EXPENSIVE TO GET FITTED, OR WOULD I NEED TO GET VW TO DO IT, I TAKE IT THERE IS NOT AN ORIGINAL VERSION YOU CAN BUY FROM VW ITSELF,,, I ASKED THE PARTS DEP THAT TODAY BUT HE WASNT SURE ALTHOUGH HE DIDNT THINK SO.

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 08:36:41 pm »
You can also set your fog lights as DRL'S (dimmed a bit). They go off when the handbrake is applied and when the auto lights turn on the main lights  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2012, 08:44:42 pm »

You can also set your fog lights as DRL'S (dimmed a bit). They go off when the handbrake is applied and when the auto lights turn on the main lights  :happy2:

....Hmmm, but fog lights are a signal light and proper LED DRL's are a passive light and DRL's should be the passive type to be classed as DRL's. LED DRL's are very much more effective as DRL's.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2012, 08:47:13 pm »

....Hmmm, but fog lights are a signal light and proper LED DRL's are a passive light and DRL's should be the passive type to be classed as DRL's. LED DRL's are very much more effective as DRL's.

You probably have a point RR, but I'd like to think VW considered this when they designed the feature in the cars software  :innocent:

Then again, maybe not. . . .  :grin:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Thor

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 27
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2012, 08:55:21 pm »
Running my foglights units as drl's used the Polar FIS to code it and can change it to the sidelights or dipped headlights in about 5 seconds.  Fitted some nice bright Mtec bulbs too, works a treat.

Can't remember i last time i had to use fog lights for foggy/ low visibility conditions.
Gone but not forgotten - Edition 30 No.2239
                                     Mk6 GTI

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2012, 11:12:28 pm »
Fitting wise it's a scotch lock to side lights 2 earths and a positive cable runTo the fuse box in car. Hours labour ?