Make a donation

Author Topic: Martial Arts - What do you do?  (Read 3891 times)

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
Re: Martial Arts - What do you do?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2012, 08:53:34 am »
Wing Tsun for a few years, until back injury.... Very good for self discipline  :happy2:  Great for self defence
Great for meeting new folk, like minded...

www.wingtsun.ie/Association.html

My Teacher Jimmy, who is not with these guys anymore, due to different reasons, he train's under a different Sifu now, but he trained under these guys.....
Dai-Sifu Rainer Tausend was the leader who trained under Grandmaster Leung Ting...

Short fight

End fight

all very good!
Its in chinese but has sub titles

:happy2:

Ip man is a top film, recommended it to anyone, even people not into martial arts.  So wanted a wooden man in the garage after watching it.

I'm a first Dan black belt at Tae Kwon Do (TAGB).  Used to compete but since I turned 40 my body seems to be constantly playing up, hamstrings, back, etc etc.............   Be warned you 30 somethings  :grin:  Physio costs delaying my BCS exhaust purchase.  :sad1:

Both my kids do it, my eldest is a black belt and my youngest is about halfway there (blue tag).  It's done them the world of good, both confident little fellas, and respectful (most of the time !)

Offline benjii

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2012, 03:35:09 pm »
Don't if its classified as a martial arts I'm going to a Krav Maga class and love it but if it came down to using it would make a fool of myself but you never no  :signLOL:

Offline Action jackson

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2012, 03:46:22 pm »
My brother, sifu mark Jackson trained under Leung ting for about 8 years when I was younger, went all overthrew world with him doing gung fu. He (Leung ting) stayed at our parents house with us quite a few times when I was growing up. Didn't have a clue who he was when I was growing up, now realise he's the real deal. Very cool + I get trained for free, have been since I was 8 years old, now 34. I find gung fu to give me a flexible body and an extreme mental strength

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2012, 04:21:34 pm »
Don't if its classified as a martial arts I'm going to a Krav Maga class and love it but if it came down to using it would make a fool of myself but you never no  :signLOL:

Krav Maga is what the Israeli Special forces use and was developed into a martial art I believe (correct me If I am wrong)
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2012, 05:13:31 pm »
I've never heard of Krav Maga before but it looks quite impressive in that video.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2012, 05:39:06 pm »
If anyone watches/used to watch Miami Ink, its what the bald fella Ami (pronounced ARMY) used to do in his spare time  :happy2: :happy2:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2012, 05:50:52 pm »

Krav Maga is what the Israeli Special forces use and was developed into a martial art I believe (correct me If I am wrong)

Bloody hell, just watched that vid, good luck buddy! Does look like Special Forces training, all about talking someone out by the look of it. How's your Medical Isurance,  all up to date I hope?   :laugh:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2012, 07:34:06 pm »

Its pretty much street fighting, dirty style. Use whatever weapons you can get your hands on casuing maximum damage as possible. Not sure if its true, but had heard that progressing through Krav Maga involved having one of the instructors follow you home and attack you and assess your reactions. Its quite an agressive martial art to get into. I went to an opening evening about 10 years ago...didnt stay for long as it was mostly quite massive blokes...just didnt flow with my chi  :innocent:
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline S800BRN

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2012, 08:28:19 pm »
Not trained in years but I got my 1st degree in Tae Kwon Do - ITF. Used to do kickboxing regular too at the same time. Both complimented each other.
Nowadays I simply go to the gym for fitness as my work rota is a pain for classes.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2012, 05:38:21 pm »
After much deliberation (and no time recently) and Wing Chun classes are closer I opted to go for Wing Chun classes, 1st one tonight  :jumpmove:, looking forward to it.

Si Hing Graham Paul is the instructor, trained under Sifu Brian desir who trained under Master Sam Kwok and Grandmaster Ip Chun in Hong Kong.

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2012, 05:48:01 pm »
Let us know how you get on mate. I'm not doing anything at the minute. Had someone sweep my legs a few weeks ago and its done something to my foot. In at the docs tomorrow to see if I can get an x-ray done.

Offline Bryan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2012, 05:48:56 pm »
I do Mauy thai twice a week at MMAG gym Glasgow!
Forge Twintake. BCSautomotive turbo back exhaust with sports cat. Stage 2 remap. R32 rear lights and bumper. Team heko wind deflectors. mtec bulbs. Ed30 bbs wheels.  Eibach springs. Goodyear Eagle F1 asy2s. NQSBBK(330mm)

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2012, 10:23:38 pm »
Tae Kwon Do (BTCB) Black belt - trained twice a week for approx 8years.  Bit harder now with a young family but really enjoyed it, maybe one day I'll go back.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2012, 09:43:43 am »
Let us know how you get on mate. I'm not doing anything at the minute. Had someone sweep my legs a few weeks ago and its done something to my foot. In at the docs tomorrow to see if I can get an x-ray done.

First session went well, thoroughly enjoyed it, good bunch of people, worked up a good sweat, looks like I found my twice weekly fitness regime  :happy2:

Probably going to get a few private lessons from him too to get me upto speed a little quicker as I am around 4-5 weeks behind the next newest guy to me so would be good to get to same level.

h4rdy

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2012, 11:38:32 am »
1st Dan ITF TKD but gave up just before taking 2nd Dan (trained upto and for it) due to babies and work.

Spent six years and ten plus hours a week training for the 1st Dan.

Loved it totally but fooked my shoulders in an MTB crash, turned my ankle over numerous times during training and generally just ache now, hips, elbows, knees etc etc.

Also trained in a lot of self defence techniques and stick fighting.

Great fun and met some good friends.

I'm hoping the kids will want to go so I can take them and just leisurely train but knowing me I always go to the extreme so its unlikely to stay like that.