Make a donation

Author Topic: Job advice  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Re: Job advice
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2012, 12:11:43 am »
I was in south Germany recently. Every second car was a Merc/Porsche. Saw an R, Rocco R and awesomely a red SLS :drool:
In other words, no recession. Learn a bit of the lingo and you'll be laughing. You might even get a job in Wolfsburg; Mk7 assembly line?  :smiley:
'07 Red manual

Offline Edition30

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 8
  • No man was ever wise by chance.
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2012, 12:56:24 am »
I was in south Germany recently. Every second car was a Merc/Porsche. Saw an R, Rocco R and awesomely a red SLS :drool:
In other words, no recession. Learn a bit of the lingo and you'll be laughing. You might even get a job in Wolfsburg; Mk7 assembly line?  :smiley:

JCT600 owner has a red SLS amongst various other cars.

If only eh...
Afghanistan Trust - Yorkshire 3 peaks challenge.

www.justgiving.com/ptemartinbell

MyProtein - MP119633

Offline SteveyD

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2012, 09:05:27 am »
I work offshore and agree with your comments about paying for courses.  I'm lucky to have a trade as an electrician but paid for all my courses myself.  I invested almost 4k and applied for easily 200 jobs a month for 12 months, I avoided the hire and fire agency's although they are the best way to get a start.  Polite persistence is the key, I worked ad-hoc for 14 months and at times it was very tough being away for 21 days and home for only 5 before away for another 18.  My lucky break came earlier on this year, I now have a permanent contract and rotation with a major drilling company. It's taken over 3 years to get here but my point of saying this is that it can be done.

Without any trade behind you it's pointless doing a few electrical courses and looking for work (in general not just offshore) for offshore there are lots of other areas one example being rope access NDT work, or coatings and boasting work, inspection reports.  Even a steward/catering position pays very well.  Getting a start as a deck hand or rousti is very hard but being in Scotland helps, never say never.

The point to all my waffle is that you really can achieve anything but it doesn't happen overnight and takes a lot of dedication.  

As for onshore work follow an interest and depending on your personal situation, become self employed?  you certainly have age on your side and there is nothing wrong with wanting to better yourself in life.

I should also say aim to do a job doing something YOU like, I got stuck with a job working for a company that I grew to hate for way too long, it made me a bad person in the end.  I genuinely have always been fascinated by offshore work and have loved every minuite of it, that really helps when you think I'll possibly be doing it for the rest of my working life.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2012, 09:12:14 am by SteveyD »

Offline Black9

• Thank You
  • -Given: 35
  • -Receive: 19
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2012, 10:06:33 am »
Just remembered I posted this, thanks for all the replies. Currently work with family in property etc.. Live in Scotland and have only GCSEs. Fitness interests me so I've looked into becoming a personal trainer but with training costing £3500-4000 it's not cheap & they don't even give a basic salary. Just £30-35 PH per client

As for a trade I can't really afford to take time off work and train as I need the £££ and finding free training ATM would be hard as I'm over the 21 year old limit for training such as gas, plumbing etc... 

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 01:44:15 pm »
My best mate invested in a Plumbing Franchise last year as a Gas Engineer (He fits/checks/safety tests gas a elec appliances), they trained him over 12-14 weeks and put him through all his Gas-safe (New version of the old "Corgi") exams and now he mainly does safety checks and servicing (legal requirement for landlords with rental properties once per year per property), he does do central heating installations but does not bother with regular plumbing stuff like leaky pipes etc, they book all his work for him and he does 4 or 5 calls per day, first few months were a little slow but now (6 months later) he is earning about £1250 a week average. I cannot remember exact costs but I think he paid about £20-25K to do it all, he was happy with that as he has already paid back half of it and reckons he will be free and clear by March and all profit then, happy for him  :happy2:

He keeps on at me about getting trained as a Gas fitter so we can start our own business in a few years (when he has a big enough client base), our own business is something we have talked about doing for 10+ years but as they say "never the time was right", might get round to it in another year or 2 as I have plenty of free time with current business  :happy2:.

Seeing him next weekend so chances are he will be on at me again about doing it  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 01:46:05 pm by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14