Make a donation

Author Topic: cabin air filter help  (Read 1456 times)

scottm72

cabin air filter help
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:34:15 pm »
hello, was in vw today and they had what they called an interior cabin filter, was nearly a4 in size and they had it on display to show you the difference in a 1 year old one and a new one.
the one year old was thilthy and got me into thinking is that really the case and where does this filter actually go ?
is it underneath the dash / window massive window clearing vent ? and as my car is 4 years old with 37k on it should i change it ?
i know for a fact that it would not have been changed since car was new,,,,,,, now if it is clogged after 4 years would it make the air vents more efficient and maybe quieter ? or is it all a load of bollocks and it never needs changed ?
that is the only place inside the cabin i can imagine something that size could go
if i am right then is it easy to change myself without screwdriver divot around that area,,, dont want vw to do it if i can help it
thanks guys

Offline Tortaruga

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
Re: cabin air filter help
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 10:43:08 pm »
Change it.Easy.http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=39082.0

It's not a "load of bollocks". You'll see how much dirt is in it when you take it out.
'07 Red manual

scottm72

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 11:25:44 pm »
Change it.Easy.http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=39082.0

It's not a "load of bollocks". You'll see how much dirt is in it when you take it out.
thanks for the link but it is not for the golf mk5, any chance you could elaborate on where it is, cost etc

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2012, 11:32:27 pm »
Passenger side under glove box foam cover undo 2 big plastic screws pull that out, maybe screw in plastic slider. Slide it and filter and loads of crap drops into footwell. Change and replace. :-). That's mostly it. Google should help.

Offline gigolo456

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2012, 11:34:03 pm »
Well wat car you have might help, lol!?

scottm72

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2012, 11:43:33 pm »
Well wat car you have might help, lol!?
what car ? dude i thought all cars where mk5 gtis here,,,,,hmmmm

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2012, 03:58:41 pm »
Quite a few people on here with different cars Scott, they seem to just like the site. Well worth changing the filter. Only costs a few quid and easy to do yourself. Just follow mad petes explanation.
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

scottm72

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 09:43:38 pm »
Quite a few people on here with different cars Scott, they seem to just like the site. Well worth changing the filter. Only costs a few quid and easy to do yourself. Just follow mad petes explanation.
cheers dude, cost £17, replaced in 5 minutes, job done