Make a donation

Author Topic: Newbie to VW - hello but need help  (Read 770 times)

Offline suths

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Newbie to VW - hello but need help
« on: September 28, 2012, 10:28:29 am »
Hi all, just wanted to say hi and I hope this forum gives me the chance to meet some knowledgeable and interesting people as well as an insight into the MK5 GTI  :happy2:

So, I've recently purchased a 2005 mk5 gti in black with 93k miles. Full spec includes sunroof, sat nav, dsg, xenons, leathers and lux pack 2. Overall I'm very happy with the car but having owned E46 BMW's for the last 5 years everything on this thing is new to me!! I used to know the E46 inside out and could pretty much do all of the maintenance myself so I'd like to get to that level again with the GTI if possible.

So... some background on the car. It's had one owner from new and has full service history with loads of receipts for work done BUT after buying it the CEL light has come on and stayed on. The engine feels a little boggy sometimes and mpg is down on what I'd expect so I'd like to run VAG-COM but don't know anyone with it! I'm in south west london so if anyone is in the area and wants to lend a hand for a shandy or two please let me know. The car is remapped but there's no mention of coil pack recall or dv being replaced so these would be the first places I'd start but I feel totally blind about possible causes!!

Sorry, no pictures yet but once I've polished up the bodywork this sunday I'll try and upload some

Steve

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
Re: Newbie to VW - hello but need help
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 08:48:04 pm »
Welcome along steve.  :drinking:

Here is a list of peeps with the magic gizmo your after and where they reside. hope this helps...

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,120.0.html

Oh and get them pics up as  :worthless:

Cheers  :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline suths

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Newbie to VW - hello but need help
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 03:22:47 pm »
Thanks for the link mate. Managed to find someone local so hopefully be able to work out what the problem is as my mpg is woeful at the moment.

In the meantime, I got the polishing machine out on sunday and gave the car a once over. Boy did it need it! Also added red GTI front and rear badges as the old ones were a bit scabby. Still not happy about the exhaust tips being so filthy and even wire wool wouldn't cut through the dirt but I just need to concentrate on getting it running right before I worry too much about the aesthetics. Rear number plate also decided to detach itself just as I got home which was probably a good thing as I could clean that part of the bumper too. Couple of pics below...