Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre Recommendations  (Read 17194 times)

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 14
Re: Tyre Recommendations
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 09:11:22 am »
My current Goodyear Asy 2's are starting to run low and have to say they have been up there with the Bridgestone S-02's for levels of dry grip and a bit better in the wet. I've got Conti 3's on the rear and have to say they are better in 17 inch than 18! Lack of feedback really killed my confidence in them.

Time to take a look at some pricing me thinks.

Fish

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 09:14:03 am »
^^^^
Do you know approximately how much mileage you have done on your Goodyear Asy 2's, Fish? I'm terrible at keeping track of my tyre mileages  :rolleye:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2012, 09:34:52 am »

The only tyres I have experienced on my Mk5 GTI are Continentals, Bridgestone Potenza's, Goodyear F1 Eagle Directionals, Goodyear Asymmetric 1's, Dunlop Sports Maxx, and Goodyear Asymmetric 2's.

I dont know about you but i thought that the bridgestone potenza'z were aweful tyres and mine in particualar did not have a long life .  :scared:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2012, 10:01:02 am »

The only tyres I have experienced on my Mk5 GTI are Continentals, Bridgestone Potenza's, Goodyear F1 Eagle Directionals, Goodyear Asymmetric 1's, Dunlop Sports Maxx, and Goodyear Asymmetric 2's.

I dont know about you but i thought that the bridgestone potenza'z were aweful tyres and mine in particualar did not have a long life .  :scared:

....The Bridgestone Potenza's I had were back in ~2006/7. I don't remember thinking they were awful but just that they weren't much different from my previous Continentals and didn't make me feel impressed.

The first big positive difference came from fitting Goodyear Eagle F1 Directionals.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:02:37 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2012, 10:49:20 am »
Been using Toyo proxes for the last 6-7 years, cannot fault them for the price and performance (£100ea)
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2012, 10:51:37 am »

Been using Toyo proxes for the last 6-7 years, cannot fault them for the price and performance (£100ea)

....I'm happy with my Goodyear Asy's but please show me your rubber when we meet later this month at JKM  :happy2:

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2012, 10:56:20 am »

....I'm happy with my Goodyear Asy's but please show me your rubber when we meet later this month at JKM  :happy2:

Feel free to have a look at them RR  :happy2:, just look for a Dirty 5dr Candy ED30  :signLOL: :signLOL:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2012, 04:51:48 pm »
So far i've tried the following tyres on the golf:
Bridgestone Re050a, awful tyre, zero grip and the deform while standing still
Toyo R1R, excellent track/road tyre loads of grip even in the wet, don't last so long though
Toyo R888 excellent track tye, awful road manners
On the Touran we currently have Mich PS3, and i find it to be an excellent roadtyre, i haven't had the touran on track,,,, yet  :wink:
Michelin Pilot Super Sport, excellent track tyre/excellent road tyre, as stated before they are a league above Mich Ps2-3, Goodyear F1 asym, and equivalent tyres, those tyres are very good indeed but the PSS is above the rest due to the use of Twaron and dual compound

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2012, 05:06:03 pm »
Jake, you have reminded me that I did a trackday at Spa in the wet and had Goodyear Asymmetric 1's on. In one session I had an instructor in the driving seat for 4 laps and me driving for another 15 laps with him. Not as fast as John Hurdy's Ed30 of course but we didn't hang about and the tyres were so good that the instructor asked me what tyres we were on. This was after a day at the Nurburgring too.

A car never knows whether it's on a road or a track and I think this was a good test, although totally unscientific - Just real world driving.

Offline gtipirelli

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • Golf GTi Pirelli
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2012, 05:10:55 pm »
big thumbs up for Pirelli P Zero's from me.

They wear relatively quickly but then again are a fairly soft compound

No issues considering I have a stage 1 map
Golf GTi Pirelli - Diamond Black, 5 Door - SOLD
now 718 Cayman S PDK

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2012, 05:16:56 pm »
^^^^
Yep, there's always going to be an element of compromise: Softer compound delivers more grip but wears quicker, etc. I'm glad we have lots of choices.

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2012, 05:35:04 pm »
Jake, you have reminded me that I did a trackday at Spa in the wet and had Goodyear Asymmetric 1's on. In one session I had an instructor in the driving seat for 4 laps and me driving for another 15 laps with him. Not as fast as John Hurdy's Ed30 of course but we didn't hang about and the tyres were so good that the instructor asked me what tyres we were on. This was after a day at the Nurburgring too.

A car never knows whether it's on a road or a track and I think this was a good test, although totally unscientific - Just real world driving.

RR get you a trip in a mk 5 with the PSS, I have tried the Goodyear Asymmetric 2's, they are good no doubt but the PSS is as stated better. treadwear 300 and still able to hang on to stripped out bmw's and clio cup cars at Donington, looking like this afterwards.

front

Rear

Air temp was 29 degrees celsius five laps at a time otherwise the brakes would overheat, i know  :grin:

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e3gb9vun83q0fb7irer2k2133h&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2012, 05:37:00 pm »
Are the PSS available in 225 40 18 yet?

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2012, 05:47:12 pm »
Robin, like you I've not really kept an eye on the mileage but I'd guess around 15k, holding down 330lb's so not bad. They are currently around 4.5mm as I've just had my MOT and they are starting to get a little slippy.

The S-02's I like and have had fitted give superb feedback as I said, but I'd say the wear rate is around the same as the Goodyear's. They were at the best when just above the wear markers. I've had Pirelli P-Zero Nero's which only came good after doing a track day and getting a proper heat cycle into them.

Fish

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 801
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=e3gb9vun83q0fb7irer2k2133h&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2012, 06:05:25 pm »
DFish... mine have also gone off a little bit recently.... but that might be sue to the slippy roads.