Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre Recommendations  (Read 17207 times)

Offline Biff

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
Re: Tyre Recommendations
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, 11:00:53 pm »
Replaced the Michelin Pilot Exalto's from delivery with Michelin PS3's, difference was like night and day - especially in the wet. Be going with the PS3's again when the time comes.

scottm72

« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2012, 11:15:27 pm »
7 years ago my Mk5 GTI came from the factory with Continentals, which I believe are German and doubtless Volkswagen have a deal/contract with Continental to supply.

Most tyre experts say that different tyres will suit different cars or vehicles - Not individual cars but models. So for example, a Vredestein Sessanta might suit a FWD Golf but not a RWD BMW (I don't know that example to be the case by the way).

Unless we experience particular problems which pitch us off into the hedge, most modern tyres from the established manufacturers do their job adequately and until we have experienced particular tyres it's all relative. The only tyres I have experienced on my Mk5 GTI are Continentals, Bridgestone Potenza's, Goodyear F1 Eagle Directionals, Goodyear Asymmetric 1's, Dunlop Sports Maxx, and Goodyear Asymmetric 2's. The Continentals of 7 years ago are nothing like as good as either of the Goodyear's and I am inclined to think that an asymmetric tread makes a big difference - especially in the wet.

A few folks here have tried Vredestein Sessanta asymmetrics and reported being happy with them apart from needing to get warm, but they don't seem to have sold like hot cakes. They are a bit more expensive I think.

Factors influencing which tyres we buy are (not in order of importance):

- Performance (handling) in both wet and dry cos it now rains a lot in the UK.
- Road noise.
- Tread and rubber eye-candy < Yes, it has been researched and found to be true.
- Price.

The only contact a car has with the road is 4 small patches of rubber which are about the size of a CD disk each. So to buy any tyre just because it's the cheapest and which doesn't maximise your safety is, how can I say it without offending someone, stupid.

I have no hesitation in recommending Goodyear Asymmetrics and then it's just a case of finding the cheapest source and making sure they aren't versions manufactured outside the official factories.

^ The green caps are because my tyres are filled with nitrogen.

tend to agree with everything you say regarding tyres on this posting, yes the dealers do have different contracts with the tyre manufacturers,,, they have a sort of bidding session when designing the car etc to see what manufacturer wants to bend over backwards the most to get their rubber on the car as they also know that a large percentage of people will just rebuy like for like, the amount of older mostly people who used to come in for tyres which a lot knew nothing about mostly just asked for thw same that was on the car originally.
going on your posting and also many others i just bought myself a set of goodyear eagles asymetrical 2 xl 18s for £420 delivered as they seem like the best or one of the better tyres,,, look great apart from stupid city link putting their large delivery sticker right on the tread and it will only come of in a thousand tiny pieces  :stupid:
so thanks for the tyre advice

Offline marka87uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2012, 10:49:05 am »
Where did you get the set for £420 Scott?  :smiley:
Steel Grey Edition 30 DSG

scottm72

« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2012, 05:47:39 pm »
Where did you get the set for £420 Scott?  :smiley:
hi, got them from camskill performence web site, £12 next day delivery, total was £420,,, if you buy them tell them to make citylink NOT put their silly massive sticker on the tread lol

Offline marka87uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
« Reply #49 on: October 06, 2012, 06:13:59 pm »
Cheers mate, pretty much made my mind up now I want the Eagle F1's... would hate to end up with a choice I'm not happy with to save like a tenner a tyre!

My local tyre place would charge £18 wheel to fit... ouch! But I found them somewhere else and it'd come to around £470 fully fitted - I think that seems like a pretty good deal? :)
Steel Grey Edition 30 DSG

scottm72

« Reply #50 on: October 06, 2012, 06:19:14 pm »
yeah that seems like a good deal, i still need to get mine fitted, will try my local place on monday but i want the wheel allignment checked and adjusted if necc, car is as straight as a di but new rubber costing ££££s is worth it as i dont think the lady that owned the car before me would have known about allignment,,,,, dont want they new f1s going sideways lol,,,,,,
great deal on the tyres mate  :happy2: :congrats:

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 14
« Reply #51 on: October 06, 2012, 07:39:27 pm »
Thats the one thing I like.... people go buying at places like Camskill then forget that they then have to pay for fitting, so the good deal they got on tyres then goes out the windows most of the time.

Fish

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2012, 08:16:45 pm »
Thats the one thing I like.... people go buying at places like Camskill then forget that they then have to pay for fitting, so the good deal they got on tyres then goes out the windows most of the time.

Fish
get it all the time at work ,as some times it would of been cheaper to get them from me :signLOL:

scottm72

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2012, 08:44:24 pm »

Fish
get it all the time at work ,as some times it would of been cheaper to get them from me :signLOL:
£470 is a good price fitted for these tyres, i paid £420 not fitted but my local garage will charge about £50 or so, aint bad really, have yet to see a set of these tyres cheaper but im sure i will soon,,,,, both goooood deals :happy2:

scottm72

« Reply #54 on: October 06, 2012, 08:56:55 pm »

Fish
£470 is a good price fitted for these tyres, i paid £420 not fitted but my local garage will charge about £50 or so, aint bad really, have yet to see a set of these tyres cheaper but im sure i will soon,,,,, both goooood deals :happy2:
a set of asymet 2s that is

Offline viewsonic

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #55 on: October 06, 2012, 11:06:08 pm »
michelin primacy hp
seems good value and last ages :happy2:

scottm72

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2012, 12:31:43 am »
michelin primacy hp
seems good value and last ages :happy2:
thats what i am taking off at 4mm, bit to noisy on the 18s

Offline john_o

• Thank You
  • -Given: 136
  • -Receive: 108
    • My Car Blog
« Reply #57 on: October 07, 2012, 10:32:56 am »
only thing i would add is that I'm currently liking CSC5  :happy2: currently at 6ooo miless and counting.
They have given me more grip than the PS3 in the dry, about the same as PS3 in wet.
Only thing I dont like is what feels like softer sidewalls than PS3, but ultimately the grip has been better.

Ultimately though I want the PSS  :evilgrin:
Red ED35 5dr DSG
DEFI boost guage / RTech Stg1 Engine/DSG / PPMk7 front brakes
BLOG | BUILD

Offline majinvash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
  • Eat, Sleep, Snowboard
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: October 07, 2012, 06:15:13 pm »
What are your guys views on Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta these days compared to the F1's? Especially around wear?

Thanks

Mat

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #59 on: October 07, 2012, 06:43:55 pm »
What are your guys views on Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta these days compared to the F1's? Especially around wear?

Thanks

Mat

Had these on my BMW 530d sport and they were excellent tyres. Changed the car to a gti and will consider them when it comes time to change the tyres.
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera