Make a donation

Author Topic: Tyre Recommendations  (Read 17184 times)

Offline marka87uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
Tyre Recommendations
« on: October 01, 2012, 10:04:54 pm »
My current tyres are shocking, especially in the wet... I can't even remember what brand they are but they aren't a well known make so to try and avoid ending up in a ditch I am going to have them replaced before the wetter weather sets in!

I know this question gets asked a lot but recommendations? Goodyear F1 / Michelin Pilot Sport 2 / Falken 452 ?

My local ATS place is doing the PS2's for £135 each fully fitted plus there's an offer on which would mean I'd get £50 worth of fuel too when buying two or more tyres. Sound pretty good?  :smiley:
Steel Grey Edition 30 DSG

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: Tyre Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 10:10:25 pm »
All depends on you budget really,the Mich,good year and contI are all good tyres,mid range hankooks,avon,falken

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 10:15:14 pm »
I've just fitted a full set of Hankook Ventus V12's. Very impressed so far.

Offline f1fan

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 10:22:32 pm »
My car has Hankook Ventus V12 Evo 225/45 ZR17's on it.  I'm really impressed, very quiet comfortable ride, handle well in the dry and on the soaking M25 and M20 last week they were totally flawless, also pushed them a bit in the wet on country road commute this morning and again really impressed.

First time I've ever had anything other than Bridgestone, Continental or Pirelli in maybe 10 years on different cars and think they are probably the best I've ever had. 
Black 2008 GTi, InPro smoked door mirror indicators, genuine Autohaus Wolfsburg plate holders, uk legal pressed metal plates, LED number plate lights, MTEC super white headlights & side lights, LED internal lights, Polo stubby aerial, Kenwood DDX4023BT head unit & Enfig surround.

scottm72

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 10:25:22 pm »
hi, i have been running a thread on this recently and also i sold tyres for a living up until a few years ago so i may be able to help you.
i currently have michelins on my car and they where there when i got it 2 weeks ago so hence the research as they are down to 3mm
after all the feedback etc the best tyres that keep coming out is goodyear f1 asymetric.
dont go near continental as they are to hard a tyre, mich is ok but noisy cabin when above 30mph, also i checked a lot of review sites and again the goodyear came up tops,,,, i am looking for something with low road noise, very good grip, as good on snow as you can get without buying winter tyres and the goodyear seems to fit the bill.
cant remember the exact tread pattern but if you look for goodyear f1 asymetric and you will figure it out,,,, the last price i seen was £420 delivered but not fitted although that was a very quick price search so you may find cheaper
i will prob buy a set of them soon but just bought the car so m any things im chasing lol
good luck dude
ps,,, dont buy continental,,, hard ride and noisy although long mileage

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 10:26:07 pm »
Hanlook are a very good tyre and sell loads at work,Michelin have 40% owner ship in the company

Offline marka87uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2012, 10:27:40 pm »
Thanks! I see they are about £120 each which means not much less though than the PS2's after discount. Decisions decisions...

scottm72

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2012, 10:35:41 pm »
Thanks! I see they are about £120 each which means not much less though than the PS2's after discount. Decisions decisions...
yeah decision time,,, hancook is part owned by michelin but they do not use the same quality of rubber on them because if it was as good as the michelin branded tyre then that would effect michelin sales, so common sense says that it is slightly inferior to the michelin brand.
same as bridgestone, they own firestone brand tyres so they can keep a foot in the mid range market but dont use as good a rubber on them, so they are a cheaper tyre.
do some research on the goodyears,,,, they are better than the michelins and also better than the hancooks, during my 2 years owning a tyre depot i personally sold about 15000 tyres but that was a few years ago though,,, try and get onto non biased review sites, try 4 or so and see what the consences is

Offline marka87uk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2012, 10:39:40 pm »
Thanks guys - there are so many different tyres with not much difference in price between them that it's hard to choose!

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2012, 10:49:33 pm »
The trouble with the good years is they wear down  quick but are a very good product,find pirellis are not as good as they used to be

scottm72

« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2012, 10:50:36 pm »
Thanks guys - there are so many different tyres with not much difference in price between them that it's hard to choose!
yep, hence the reason why i had to heavily research them,,, worse thing is you pay £400 or so, get them fitted then get up to 60mph and you hear the constant rumble from them,,,,, research dude

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2012, 11:00:07 pm »
Have been running Goodyear Eagle F1 ASYMMETRIC 2's 225/40/18 92Y the last 6 months and am very happy with their all round "everyday" qualities, it's personal preference TBH but I prefer these to my previous tyres, Conti' sport contact 5's.

From Camskill (delivered only) at £110.24 per corner

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m61b2324s134p78805/Goodyear_Tyres_Car_Goodyear_Eagle_F1_Asymmetric_2_-_225_40R18_92Y_XL_TL_/RS_GB

From Tyre Shopper (fitted at the centre of your choice) at £127.50 per corner

http://www.tyre-shopper.co.uk/ts/search/tyredetails.aspx?code=2254018GY9YX

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Jimbo_h

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2012, 11:04:41 pm »
Just seen this thread and thought this thread on SCN might be of interest? http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?t=364294

CW MkV GTI | DSG | Driver Motorsport tune | HPFP | SPM downpipe | Sach performance coilovers | Volant CAI | 18" Oz Ultraleggeras | SPM ARBs

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2012, 01:26:49 am »
stay away from the Falkens. i always used to think they were an OK tyre, but then i swapped to ContiSport Contact 3s and the Contis were as good in the wet as the Falkens were in the dry!!

I recommend the CSC 3s 100%, but i'll be trying Hankooks next time tyres need changing  :happy2:
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2012, 04:54:27 am »
Only road tyre i will consider is the Michelin Pilot Super Sport after i've had them in 19".
They are now in 18" 225-40, but only in loadindex 88. I would still only consider them. They are above the rest  :happy2:

Over the top mod list ;o)