Make a donation

Author Topic: latest rns510 unit ? advise needed  (Read 3475 times)

scottm72

latest rns510 unit ? advise needed
« on: October 02, 2012, 01:18:22 am »
hello, i have stock rcd300 chrome and want the all singing all dancing rns 510 unit and was wonderring what the most up to date one was, is it the ( h ) version or would it be a lot cheaper to go back to a (g) or something as i had a quick look on e-bay for the (h) and looks like £550 or so, i also have an i pod connection from factory installed in the arm rest which i dont use or need,
is it worth selling the i pod connection part or just throw it out ?not to sure if it would be hard to remove from there ? also if i buy the latest 510 unit is there anything else i need to buy that doesnt come in the box for it, i watched a demo on how to remove the 300 and looks easy but do i just plug the 510 in ? is it as simple as that ? also would i need to upgrade my aerial ?
sorry for the noob questions
ps,,, maybe silly question but am i right in thinking the 510 IS NOT DAB ?
surely that cant be right for the price or am i just being silly, basically i want a unit that has sat nav, dab, telephone connection through automatic bluetooth, good sound quality, plays dvd, led screen etc
is this the right unit for me as from what i can see, it is not dab, sat nav needs dvd ?, no phone conn without additional unit, and also how do you play tour mp3 for example, is my current i pod connection in my arm rest the best way to connect to it, assuming it is compatable that is
??????????????????????????
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 01:28:13 am by scottm72 »

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Re: latest rns510 unit ? advise needed
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2012, 09:25:32 am »
I stand corrected, but I believe the latest unit is the J.

All depends on what you are looking for. If you want total seamless OEM integration, then the RNS510 is your best option. It has a hard drive to store all your music on, you just copy them over using an SD card.
It plays DVD's, but only when you are parked unless you get the Video in motion. The Nav software is stored on the internal hard drive. The Nav DVD is only used to load on the software.
For using a phone, you would need to additionally add a Bluetooth module. With the newer ones, you get voice control and you can stream BT audio from your phone.
It definitely does not have DAB, you would need to add another bit of kit for that, something like the PURE DAB unit.
Keep in mind, you would need to install a GPS antenna too.

For a unit that you are looking for that does it all in one, you are looking £1000 plus, and only one I know of will allow some sort of integration with the camera and parking sensors.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2012, 09:37:26 am by Squeeguk »

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2012, 09:34:46 am »
DAB???
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2012, 09:38:18 am »

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

scottm72

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2012, 04:22:17 pm »
I stand corrected, but I believe the latest unit is the J.

All depends on what you are looking for. If you want total seamless OEM integration, then the RNS510 is your best option. It has a hard drive to store all your music on, you just copy them over using an SD card.
It plays DVD's, but only when you are parked unless you get the Video in motion. The Nav software is stored on the internal hard drive. The Nav DVD is only used to load on the software.
For using a phone, you would need to additionally add a Bluetooth module. With the newer ones, you get voice control and you can stream BT audio from your phone.
It definitely does not have DAB, you would need to add another bit of kit for that, something like the PURE DAB unit.
Keep in mind, you would need to install a GPS antenna too.

For a unit that you are looking for that does it all in one, you are looking £1000 plus, and only one I know of will allow some sort of integration with the camera and parking sensors.
many thanks

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 12:30:00 am »
missed out on a H model this evening that sold on fleabay for 480 pounds....
gutted!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-RNS-510-SAT-NAV-MFD3-RNS510-Latest-version-H-LED-2012-V8-1-map-EOS-Passat-/200824616756?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2ec2147734

anyone ever deal with this crowd???
« Last Edit: October 04, 2012, 12:41:34 am by marko »
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

scottm72

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2012, 10:26:50 pm »
missed out on a H model this evening that sold on fleabay for 480 pounds....
gutted!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-RNS-510-SAT-NAV-MFD3-RNS510-Latest-version-H-LED-2012-V8-1-map-EOS-Passat-/200824616756?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item2ec2147734

anyone ever deal with this crowd???
had a look at your link,, £599 for a used one it is, no instructions, no box, nahhhhhhhhhh

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 10:36:28 pm »
you won't get a retail box unless you pay £2500 at the vw dealer
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

scottm72

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2012, 10:48:26 pm »
just had a good look at the prices, yeah your right sorry about that, man this unit is expensive,,,,, was in a taxi a few weeks ago and the guy had a un it about the same size, bluetooth, gps, telephone through care speakers, dvd player and he was sitting watching sky1 when i got in the cab ? so freeview also,,,, the unit looked good and was touchscreen / split screen if needed,,, the thing i am asking myself is should i pay the prices for the 510 at say £700 second had or so,,, or should i buy something like what this guy had which is £350 brand new,,, it was from an audio shop on e-bay but saying that he is very happy with it.
i also need to change my audio unit soon but is it really worth the cost for the 510 ?

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2012, 10:58:03 pm »
I sell new units for £640 Delivered
I have a Used F version available for £535 Delivered
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline coolhandluke

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2012, 10:04:47 am »
just had a good look at the prices, yeah your right sorry about that, man this unit is expensive,,,,, was in a taxi a few weeks ago and the guy had a un it about the same size, bluetooth, gps, telephone through care speakers, dvd player and he was sitting watching sky1 when i got in the cab ? so freeview also,,,, the unit looked good and was touchscreen / split screen if needed,,, the thing i am asking myself is should i pay the prices for the 510 at say £700 second had or so,,, or should i buy something like what this guy had which is £350 brand new,,, it was from an audio shop on e-bay but saying that he is very happy with it.
i also need to change my audio unit soon but is it really worth the cost for the 510 ?

Any idea what this unit was and the name of the company he got it from?

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2012, 10:18:39 am »
There are some cheap units from China that you can buy, but from all accounts you do really get what you paid for with those.

The RNS is your best option when it comes to usability and OEM integration. For a fully featured unit from a brand name manufacturer, you will not be looking at around £500 entry level. You can pick up the Clarion NX302E for that sort of price. Just keep in mind the associated costs on top of that with those units. That is the fascia and various SOT connectors you may need. The RNS510 with a BT module will set you back perhaps £800 or a little more and then you have full OEM integration and plug and play, along with a built in hard drive to store your music on which those other units do not have.

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 11:00:01 pm »
You can buy a Kenwood unit from the dealers thats kinda like an RNS but its £1049 fitted , your best bet is to source a unit from Eddie NL and get him to fit it , or since youre in Scotland you could get one off the bay and get Golfman to fit it also.
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

scottm72

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2012, 11:25:46 pm »
You can buy a Kenwood unit from the dealers thats kinda like an RNS but its £1049 fitted , your best bet is to source a unit from Eddie NL and get him to fit it , or since youre in Scotland you could get one off the bay and get Golfman to fit it also.
do you know where in scotland golfman stays, i am way up in aberdeen