Make a donation

Author Topic: Selling a car?  (Read 4656 times)

Offline Moz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Selling a car?
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2012, 12:34:39 pm »
I've sold a 2007 Polo last year with 8K on the clock.

A couple came from wales to look and buy it, she asked if she could pay £1500 cash and then the remainder by bank transfer, so we went inside and went on the laptop and made the transfer, money was there in 45 minutes and she drove off.

For your GTI i'd insist on Cash or bank transfer, as the buyer can come, place a deposit, then go away and make the internet transfer, and come back when cleared?

Offline majinvash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • Eat, Sleep, Snowboard
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2012, 12:42:30 pm »
When I bought my ED30 last month, I drove upto Birmingham with a bankers draft.

I took a photocopy of my passport and driving license, a recent bill and a statement from the bank showing the draft being with drawn.
I am with Santander and there is a contact number on the back for the seller to call and check the thing is legit.

When I sold my car, I had a guy come over with 13k in £50 notes and I took him and the money to my bank and paid it in. When they confirmed it was real, he got the keys!

I personally would always take the buyer to your bank and have them pay the money in, draft or transfer it across when you are there. They are open to about 4pm on Saturdays now :)

Offline E30Dom

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2012, 12:50:10 pm »
Take cash to a bank and pay it in, then you know it's ok, THEN sign the car over and finish the transaction.
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2012, 12:55:39 pm »
Sorry to go slightly off topic.

But surely Monopoly money is the safest thing to pay with.... You can still buy properties, hotels, and get out of jail with that stuff!  :rolleye:

Offline Nickyboy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 7
  • 2007 ED30 in Grey
Re: Re: Selling a car?
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2012, 01:03:35 pm »
Anything that involves both parties entering the same bank really.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2012, 02:02:18 pm »
Proof of delivery? You're selling a car here, which you would sign over using a V5?

But it is true, because the money sent on paypal might not be his own money, and the person whose money it actually was, can try and claim it back.

Paypal policy states unless you can prove delivery a buyer can claim and reverse the payment, cars cannot be posted royal mail recorded deliverey last time I checked so don't accept paypal!.

MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Timi8888

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2012, 02:37:53 pm »
I have just read the paypal agreements, and if you pay for a car on it, they can't claim money back. You could only claim money back if seller lets you, as cars are not under the protection for buyers.

So if someone has sent you the money on paypal for a car, they can't get it back.
Sig to big.

R32UK

« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2012, 03:02:22 pm »
Take cash to a bank and pay it in, then you know it's ok, THEN sign the car over and finish the transaction.

This is what I did. Guys came to buy my car with a tesco bag full of money. I didnt really want to touch it if im honest, it looked like matress money  :jumping:

Took them down to the bank after they were happy with the car and got it paid straight into the account. Turns out there was £60 extra in there  :jumpmove:

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2012, 03:13:53 pm »
Turns out there was £60 extra in there  :jumpmove:

RUN While your ahead!

Offline hunter

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2012, 01:11:13 pm »
cash all the way mate less chance of getting bumped.

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2012, 02:03:21 pm »
cash all the way mate less chance of getting bumped.

Unless its fake!  :sad1:

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2012, 05:52:45 pm »
Last 2 cars I did bank transfer. Took 3 mins to come across. No fake money or bankers draft no joint trips to the bank. I transfer a bit first to confirm details.

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2012, 06:06:09 pm »
When I bought my GTI I transferred money from my own account to another one of my accounts at a different bank so I could nip over to the bank on a Friday lunchtime to take the money out.

It took 48 hours for the money to go through as the bank that I used to receive the money would not process it untill they done some security checks.

I was praying that the car did not sell over the weekend and had to take a half day off work on the Monday to see the car

It was a Santander to Halifax transfer

Just something to watch out for if you plan to buy a car with a bank transfer that's a long drive from home