Make a donation

Author Topic: Replacement diesel turbos...talk to me !  (Read 1630 times)

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Replacement diesel turbos...talk to me !
« on: October 03, 2012, 10:30:08 am »
Hey folks ,
I'm looking for some info on what would be a good replacement turbo on the mk5 gt Tdi 140 , after trawling through many many posts I'm still non the wiser.

I understand there are hybrid turbo's but arnt these for big power, what I'm looking for is a slightly more sturdy version of what I have now , the reason being I want to remap in the future and would rather fit new now and be safe than have my current unit go pop.

My understanding was that uprated turbos have more lag than standard but perhaps I'm wrong.
Any advice would be great as always ! :)

Thanks
John
'04 GT TDI 140 | Remapped | Cold Air Intake | WALK | TBE

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 14
Re: Replacement diesel turbos...talk to me !
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2012, 04:50:17 pm »
Depends what your end goal is really. You could get a standard turbo and fit 360 degree bearings on it which should solve some of the issues with the OE units, after that they go hybrid which means bigger wheels which give more air and more power, downside you start to get some lag which you drive around.

Plodding along off turbo or when you want to play you make sure the revs are high enough so you dont get lag.

Fish

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2012, 05:32:42 pm »
My hybrid is like oem turbo on low revs,

Offline Dave_TDI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 07:18:37 pm »
What engine are you rinning and what kind of power figures do you have?

Seriously considering getting an uprated clutch next week (oem is slipping now) so i can go hubrid in the future..

Is it worth the money?

Sorry for being nosey but its nice to see someone whos had it done and hopefully recieve genuine feedback..

Mines a 1.9tdi by the way, currently running 150ish bhp from remap and exhaust

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 07:33:23 pm »
Hey folks ,
I'm looking for some info on what would be a good replacement turbo on the mk5 gt Tdi 140 , after trawling through many many posts I'm still non the wiser.

I understand there are hybrid turbo's but arnt these for big power, what I'm looking for is a slightly more sturdy version of what I have now , the reason being I want to remap in the future and would rather fit new now and be safe than have my current unit go pop.

My understanding was that uprated turbos have more lag than standard but perhaps I'm wrong.
Any advice would be great as always ! :)

Thanks
John

The clue , was in your name  :grin:

http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2012, 07:36:40 pm »
Depends what your end goal is really. You could get a standard turbo and fit 360 degree bearings on it which should solve some of the issues with the OE units, after that they go hybrid which means bigger wheels which give more air and more power, downside you start to get some lag which you drive around.

Plodding along off turbo or when you want to play you make sure the revs are high enough so you dont get lag.

Fish

Im quite happy with the turbo pick up at the moment, when I get a remap I guess it will be better still, whats this about the standard turbo with 360 degree bearings ?
That sounds like the sort of middle ground im after

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2012, 07:37:11 pm »
What engine are you rinning and what kind of power figures do you have?

Seriously considering getting an uprated clutch next week (oem is slipping now) so i can go hubrid in the future..

Is it worth the money?

Mine is a 140 model running on a standard clutch  with a hybrid,not s sure on power as it needs to go on the rollers

Sorry for being nosey but its nice to see someone whos had it done and hopefully recieve genuine feedback..

Mines a 1.9tdi by the way, currently running 150ish bhp from remap and exhaust

Offline DarkSideJohn

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2012, 10:41:03 pm »
After having a look around I managed to find this
http://www.darksidedevelopments.co.uk/products/garrett-gt1749v-bkd-pd140-2-0-tdi-turbocharger.html

Which appears to be the stock unit, would this eventually meet the same fate as the apparently weak turbo's of days past. Or do newer produced units tend to be more robust.

You guys have mentioned about 360 degree bearings ?

500 quid seems quite fair to me, of course minus a fitting cost but better than some of the 700-900 quid models i've seen !

What do people here think ?