Make a donation

Author Topic: Does the Timing Belt need changed at 60k or 100k miles?  (Read 8528 times)

Offline Trekmeister

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 10
  • Golf GT 140
Re: Re: Re: Does the Timing Belt need changed at 60k or 100k miles?
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2012, 10:19:55 pm »
I'm on 81000 now and mines hasn't been replaced as yet but getting remapped on sat its getting done 2 weeks from now

I think getting the cambelt and water pump changed might be more of a priority?

i was told by a vw mechanic and it says in the handbook, change at 115,000 miles or 6 years, and he,s quoted me £200 for the kit. its an 06 gti.

when were you told this? If its recent, the mechanic is chatting crap. As already mentioned, its 40k/6 years, whichever comes first. If you still have doubts, ring VW uk?

Rich
Dont you mean 60k/4 years Rich ;)

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2012, 09:14:33 am »
I'm on 81000 now and mines hasn't been replaced as yet but getting remapped on sat its getting done 2 weeks from now

i was told by a vw mechanic and it says in the handbook, change at 115,000 miles or 6 years, and he,s quoted me £200 for the kit. its an 06 gti.

sorry... my bad  :rolleye:, yep, 60k or 4 years!!!  :grin:

when were you told this? If its recent, the mechanic is chatting crap. As already mentioned, its 40k/6 years, whichever comes first. If you still have doubts, ring VW uk?

Rich

Offline woky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2012, 07:52:57 pm »

Rich
well i,m sure he knows what he,s doing. he asked for my engine code, then came back to me with the intervals. Also this is what is says in my vw handbook ( see pic below)

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2012, 08:04:35 pm »

Rich
well i,m sure he knows what he,s doing. he asked for my engine code, then came back to me with the intervals. Also this is what is says in my vw handbook ( see pic below)

That's whats in all our handbooks. Vw changed it once the MK5 had been out a while. More than likely just to make money. If the likes of ford can make a rubber belt last 100+k miles, I'm sure a vw belt will.

Gray
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline woky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
Re: Does the Timing Belt need changed at 60k or 100k miles?
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2012, 08:11:05 pm »
Yeah your are right. My m8 go a 2008 ford kuga and he rang fords to find out when to change the belt and they said 125.000 miles.
Just out of curiosity has anyones belt snapped or do you know anyone whos belt has snapped on mk5 gti ?

Offline Marshall

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 17
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2012, 08:18:35 pm »
My last 07 plate Leon Tfsi said exactly the same but surprise surprise my new one says 4yrs or 60k
Even auto data has updated showing the 4yrs 60k on most of the vag group engines.
MISANO RED RS3

Offline woky

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2012, 08:35:29 pm »
a bit of a con then  :signLOL: am,i right in saying the mk6 gti has got a chain ?

Offline vik2001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2012, 08:52:19 pm »
whats the evidence to show the belt needs changing at 4 years or 60k, whatever comes first?
is this a cleaver ploy for VW to get more service work and make money?

ive never heard of anyone say their belt snaped before 5 years or even upto 60k.  i know its not worth taking risks, but who can say their belt snapped or knows of anyone??
i only know of one person whos water pump started to leak on a 07 reg at 55k.  he said when the pump got replaced so did the belt, and the technician showed him the belt which was intact and no signs of deteriation.

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2012, 08:02:45 am »
whats the evidence to show the belt needs changing at 4 years or 60k, whatever comes first?
is this a cleaver ploy for VW to get more service work and make money?

I dont think this is a clever ploy - perhaps long term testing by VW has shown wear on the belt after 60k or 5 years was higher than they wanted so they revised the intervals for changing.

If VW didn't revise the intervals and people were getting failures before the 120k mark, people would still come on here slagging off VW for neglecting their duty of care... damned if they do, damned if they dont.
On the flip side, the mk4 R32 has a chain which is a non serviceable item.... they also break... ask some of the lads on the r32oc forum.

For those who says its a way for VW to make extra money, if you feel so strongly about it, you could easily go to a non dealership garage and use non genuine parts, this way, VW wont make a single penny from you. The car is out of warranty so it doesn't matter where you take it and what parts are used.

Rich

Offline vik2001

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2012, 10:49:07 am »
i dont dispute having the cambelt done at the right time, i dont take any risks for starters.
the point i was trying to make on a lightly newer golf 07 and above, has anyone had cambelt failure if they havnt had it changed at 60k or 4 years?

Offline Kregiel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 20
  • Supersonic
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2012, 12:20:44 pm »
a good mechanic will be able to inspect the belt and tell you if it needs changing. I was going to change mine in Jan 2012 as this is where my gti was 4 years old but after inspection it turned it it's in good condition

Paul
Red 2008 GTI, H&R ARB, b12 suspension, walk, milltek non-res full exhaust, forge IC, tarox 10 pot big brake kit, RS4 valve, Forge SSK, Autotech HPFP, Xenons, K04 Turbo, Quaife LSD, South Bend stage 3 Daily with SMF clutch, XB and UB Unibraces

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2012, 06:19:22 pm »
a good mechanic will be able to inspect the belt and tell you if it needs changing. I was going to change mine in Jan 2012 as this is where my gti was 4 years old but after inspection it turned it it's in good condition

Paul

Still a risk! A visual check is all well and good, but the material weakens with age and a belt can still snap with no signs of wear or damage. This is why VW recommend 4 years because they know the quality of the belt could start to be impaired by that age regardless of mileage.
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition