Make a donation

Poll

Which one should I go for..

OMP Star
Headtec

Author Topic: Help picking helmet...  (Read 777 times)

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
Help picking helmet...
« on: October 05, 2012, 08:14:42 pm »
The OMP looks great value for money.  Its doesnt come with any FIA SNELL MSA etc approvals.
Im not sure if how much difference it would make in the event of an impact?  I've never been asked if Im using an approved helmet at trackday events but have heard rumours that some organisers check?

Here is the OMP

[ebay]320986521028[/ebay]

The Headtec, which I think SteveP recommended at some point is twice the price but comes FIA, SNELL and MSA approved.
A downside I can see is the double D fastening which can be fiddly compared to a buckle.  Perhaps the Double D fastener is part of what gets the helmet the Race approvals?

Here is the headtec [ebay] 271065540602[/ebay]

I have some OMP karting gloves already, I was after fire retardant ones but I got a bargain so will see how they are.

Thanks in advance for any tips!
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 08:16:39 pm by Tfsi_Mike »

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
Re: Help picking helmet...
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 10:21:19 pm »
One that fits, they vary wildly. I found a Bell suited me best. A few mates have these, they're nice and light too.

http://www.v2sport.com/

Sideways yo!

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 10:27:42 pm »

Thanks Mike.

I like the Black, tour

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2012, 12:09:21 am »
What ever one you choose matey, you could always add vinyls  :happy2:  Or stick a mohican on top  :rolleye:
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline SRC

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 27
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2012, 05:47:15 am »
I've rarely used a helmet in a car, but worn them regularly on motorbikes for over 20 years. 

Rule 1 - wear one that fits your head.  It's not for comfort reasons (though there is that), but because you want a snug fit all over your bonce.  That way, the helmet starts to absorb any impact from the moment of impact.

Rule 2 - wear the most expensive helmet you can afford (unless your head can be replaced cheaply).  In my experience, you really do get what you pay for.  I mean in terms of protection, of course, but also durability, visor quality, and ease of replacement for cheek pads, vents etc.  SHARP (Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Programme) is a bit like NCAP for crash helmets, but it's controversial.  Use it as a guide, by all means, but refer to rule 1 first!

The D ring fastener is a good idea.  Yes, it's fiddly until you get used to it (which you will), but it also guarantees that it will be done up correctly.  I've seen a buckle-type helmet that was "done up", but which was so loose that it came off on impact - really not nice.

Shadow blue DSG 5 door with leather, sunroof, 18" Monzas, MFSW. 
Full list of mods:  Seat inserts and a VW bottle opener.  Each worth 20bhp.

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 07:27:37 am »
I've rarely used a helmet in a car, but worn them regularly on motorbikes for over 20 years.  

Rule 1 - wear one that fits your head.  It's not for comfort reasons (though there is that), but because you want a snug fit all over your bonce.  That way, the helmet starts to absorb any impact from the moment of impact.

Rule 2 - wear the most expensive helmet you can afford (unless your head can be replaced cheaply).  In my experience, you really do get what you pay for.  I mean in terms of protection, of course, but also durability, visor quality, and ease of replacement for cheek pads, vents etc.  SHARP (Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Programme) is a bit like NCAP for crash helmets, but it's controversial.  Use it as a guide, by all means, but refer to rule 1 first!

The D ring fastener is a good idea.  Yes, it's fiddly until you get used to it (which you will), but it also guarantees that it will be done up correctly.  I've seen a buckle-type helmet that was "done up", but which was so loose that it came off on impact - really not nice.

Exactly what he said :happy2:

Having been out on my motorbike following my dad who high sided on a corner and landed head first I would always buy the best I can afford now. The £400 Arai he had on was trashed but he got away with just very minor concussion

If you can, try them on in a shop, find the best feeling and fitting one, make a note of it and which size then have a good ratch on the net for the best price

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • Go Large or Go Home
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 07:58:19 am »

Thanks chaps  :happy2: