Make a donation

Author Topic: Black GTI - DSG - 3dr  (Read 3995 times)

Offline iian

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Black GTI - DSG - 3dr
« on: December 07, 2014, 12:34:32 pm »
Bought this back in May/June from another forum member. I originally had my heart set on an edition30 GTI, but at the time they were holding too strong money for me having only just finished uni, but I was too fed up wafting about in a diesel passat.

The main thing that sold this car for me was the service history and the fact the common issues had been addressed. I'd looked at a right few before this car and they all either hadn't the common faults (eg cam follower) looked near or had generally been poorly/not maintained. Also nice knowing the last few owners were RMS men.

Standard spec:

DSG
Parking sensors
Heated Leather
Auto everything (lights, wipers, dimming rear mirror)
Dual zone climate control

In terms of mods, the car was completely standard other than having Revo Stage 1 on the engine and gearbox, which was handy as it was something I'd planned to do anyway. The VW Karthoum wheels were also a bit of a marmite feature. Some days I liked the look of them, others I thought they were wick. Eventually bit the bullet and changed them for a set of genuine 18" monzas.

A pet hate of mine is rusty / untidy hubs, so took some time and cleaned/treated all the arches, brakes, hubs etc. Have new heatshields waiting to be fitted also. A crap picture showing this:

Otherwise since buying I've done the below. Nothing major, just trying to keep on top of things.

- Private reg transferred on
- Serviced with all genuine parts
- New wipers
- Osram night breakers dipped beam, yellow mains
- New center caps
- Replaced a few dodgy bits of trim
- Polish wax etc etc

Buffed headlights

New set of GTI mats

Also with winter approaching, I bought a set of hankook winter tyres (currently fitted) along with a set of michelin pilot sport 3s for when the weather improves.

A friend was selling a set of FK Highsport coilovers that I knew had had an easy life, so snapped them up and fitted them at the weekend along with genuine topmounts for good measure while I was there.

Car's driving stupidly well at this height with no rubbing or any of that crap. The Highsport's give as good a ride on coilovers as I've ever had.

As far as plans for the future are concerned, chances are it won't be anything too stupid as I'm saving to start building a house in the new year, but I'm sure there will be more along the way. Would like to go stage 2+ and upgrade to R32/S3 brakes if funds allow.

To anyone who might be considering a MK5 GTI, they make for fantastic all round cars. Fast, practical, good looking, and still capable of 40+mpg comfortably. I haven't really been too fussed or urgent about modifying this car, purely because of how nice to drive / live with it is as standard, albeit with the Revo software. Also DSG is a real treat. Can be a bit clunky when cold, but otherwise its a brilliant gearbox. Genuinely my favourite car I've ever owned by a massive margin.

In terms of negatives, the only issues I've found so far have been a cracked weld on the cat's heatshield which gave a strange rattle at certain RPM's and a brake light switch needing replaced. Otherwise, the car's been faultless.

Cheers for reading.

Ian

Offline KieranED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 12
  • Burning Rubber Since 16th Febuary 2012
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89941.0.html
Re: Black GTI - DSG - 3dr
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 01:58:02 pm »
Nice car mate  :happy2: and you say 40+ mpg comfortably I tickle my edition 30 and I'm lucky to get over 34-35  :sad1:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2014, 02:34:05 pm »
Nice car mate  :happy2: and you say 40+ mpg comfortably I tickle my edition 30 and I'm lucky to get over 34-35  :sad1:

I've had GTI & Ed30 and the K03 GTI is a good 2-3mpg better than the Ed30 in most driving conditions  :sad1:

@iian that's a lovely example, and the coilovers set it off perfectly  :drinking:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Dave(tm)

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 12
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,89462.0.html
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2014, 05:31:48 pm »

I've had GTI & Ed30 and the K03 GTI is a good 2-3mpg better than the Ed30 in most driving conditions  :sad1:

@iian that's a lovely example, and the coilovers set it off perfectly  :drinking:

I'm lucky to get that in my K03. Think I need a few more mods to help. Starting with pre-cat delete on Wednesday :-)

Dave

Offline iian

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2014, 11:21:48 pm »
Cheers for the comments folks.

40mpg is easily achievable on a decent run. My mixed commute (country roads, village, dual carrigeway) is around 32-36mpg. Best is 43.5mpg on a 60 mile trip.

Not too fussed on chasing mpg figures though. Not what I bought this car for.

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 78
  • -Receive: 33
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,90767.0.html
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 07:36:33 am »
Lovely looking car - do you have any before pictures of the unbuffed headlight? I had mine buffed but it didn't really make a difference.

Oh and howdy from Belfast!

Offline iian

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 10:56:44 am »
Lovely looking car - do you have any before pictures of the unbuffed headlight? I had mine buffed but it didn't really make a difference.

Oh and howdy from Belfast!

I haven't mate, though mine weren't too bad to start with. Just had the first signs of haze starting, so sorted it before it got any worse.

Good to see another NI man on here anyway.  :happy2:

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 01:45:47 pm »
Ahh fair enough. Mine are pretty far gone so maybe there is not much hope for them.

Where did you source your 18" monzas from? I'm looking for a set of Pescaras if you know anyone in our country looking to sell?

Offline iian

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 03:37:57 pm »
Ahh fair enough. Mine are pretty far gone so maybe there is not much hope for them.

Where did you source your 18" monzas from? I'm looking for a set of Pescaras if you know anyone in our country looking to sell?

Ebay in the end mate.

By the time I'd sold my Karthoums it was a free upgrade which was nice. Sadly for a set of pescaras your more likely to get them in mainland Uk. Though RMS forum (Really mean sounds) does have some good items pop up in their classifieds everyy now and again.

Offline Rossimac

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2014, 10:58:43 am »
Yeah I'm always on RMS as well looking at the for sale section. Not very active on the actual forum however.

I'm pretty sure I saw your Karthoums, but like you they were a "miss" for me :P

Offline MK5 ED 30

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:00 pm »
monzas look a lot nicer