Make a donation

Author Topic: Polished concrete floor?  (Read 1727 times)

Offline edd666999

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
Polished concrete floor?
« on: November 24, 2012, 08:02:02 am »
Anyone ever bought or maybe even works for someone that does this?

Any photo of any residential buildings that have used this?

Trying to decide if i want this to span across the kitchen/living space or not. Most images i found are commercial buildings.

Thanks!

Ed

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Polished concrete floor?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 08:26:15 am »
I've had a quote from this company on a poured resin floor, but they do polished concrete floors too. As far as I know concrete floors only work with proper underfloor heating (rather than the electric kind) so that is an extra expense on top of the £100+ per square metre the floor will cost.

I'm sure with some self-levelling concrete you could do it yourself. Not sure about the polished process though.

http://www.puur.uk.com/

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 09:18:45 am »
ill have a ground source heat pump running the proper water powered underfloor heating (if that's the kind your referring to)

the concrete ill prob do myself to their specifications but ill leave it upto a company to polish

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2012, 09:56:23 am »
A pal of mine has a polished concrete work top, he made it himself I think it took him a good few attempts to get if right , it looks differant but fantastic ! Cost him about £20 to make but with loads of man hours to get it right.
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2012, 09:57:04 am »
I've actually been turned on to vinyl flooring recently. It seems a million miles from what I remember it being. I don't care much for the wood effect planks, but the coloured finishes look great and are supposed to be extremely durable.

This is the stuff I'm particularly interested in - http://www.harveymaria.co.uk/Floor-Range/Blue-Black/Ando_2

The only problem is that because it is a tile you don't get a seamless pattern, and there will be some repetition of the pattern. But it's a third of the cost of poured resin which has a similar underfoot feel.

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2012, 09:59:47 am »
A pal of mine has a polished concrete work top, he made it himself I think it took him a good few attempts to get if right , it looks differant but fantastic ! Cost him about £20 to make but with loads of man hours to get it right.

I planned on doing this too!

Offline Eccie

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 25
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2012, 10:11:37 am »
ill have a ground source heat pump running the proper water powered underfloor heating (if that's the kind your referring to)

the concrete ill prob do myself to their specifications but ill leave it upto a company to polish

Ed, I can see issues on the horizon if you do the concrete yourself, if the polished finish isn't as you want or expect, then the company will duck the issue by saying its the concrete, we didn't lay it etc

Also same issue with the underground pipe work, if you get a leak or some such 3-6 months down the line who's going to fix it, or pay to fix it ( because when your living in your grand designs house :evilgrin: it'll be expensive & messing to put right)

I'd be tempted to let one firm do all the work & get an insurance backed guarantee (in case they go bump) I know it'll cost more but it maybe worth biting the bullet, for piece of mind

Gone - Candy White MK5 Golf GTI (you never really forget your first true love...!)
MK7 Candy White GTI pp - you can never have enough eye candy

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2012, 10:20:21 am »
I read this as Porsche concrete floor! My mind flew back to the episode of top gear :L sorry for being no help what so ever!

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2012, 10:27:20 am »

Ed, I can see issues on the horizon if you do the concrete yourself, if the polished finish isn't as you want or expect, then the company will duck the issue by saying its the concrete, we didn't lay it etc

Also same issue with the underground pipe work, if you get a leak or some such 3-6 months down the line who's going to fix it, or pay to fix it ( because when your living in your grand designs house :evilgrin: it'll be expensive & messing to put right)

I'd be tempted to let one firm do all the work & get an insurance backed guarantee (in case they go bump) I know it'll cost more but it maybe worth biting the bullet, for piece of mind

:grin: my dad has done the underfloor heating a good few times so im confident it will be fine.