Make a donation

Author Topic: Multiple warning lamps  (Read 844 times)

Offline tuglet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
Multiple warning lamps
« on: October 10, 2012, 09:54:26 am »
Here we go again. Had the dreaded ESP warning light a couple of weeks ago. Had the ABS pump repair kit installed which seemed to  fix the problem.

However, this morning the ESP, tyre pressure, and power steering warning lamps all lit up on my way to work. I pulled over and turned the ignition off which cleared them but they came back after a short drive.

I've checked the tyre pressures and they're 35psi all round, there's no power steering fluid level to check, and pressing the ESP button has no effect. So looks like it's back to the dealer again.

Could this be related to the original ABS pump problem, or am I looking a whole new problem(s)?

Offline bacillus

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
Re: Multiple warning lamps
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2012, 01:00:16 pm »
You really need a vcds scan to give proper consideration.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline tuglet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2012, 01:28:18 pm »
You really need a vcds scan to give proper consideration.

Booked in for tomorrow so we'll see what VCDS shows up.

Offline tuglet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2012, 09:07:15 pm »
Quick update. VCDS showed sporadic steering angle sender faults; could be wiring or the sensor apparently.

Basic reset performed, road tested, and no lamps came on. I've driven about 30 miles since picking the car up and still no warning lamps so fingers crossed it's sorted. £75 for the diagnostic and reset.

They did advise that the fault may recur. If it does, they hope a scan will be more definitive. Let's hope it's sorted as it will be £120 to trace and repair wiring, or £290 to replace the sensor.

Offline tuglet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2012, 08:42:53 am »
Bugger! ESP and tyre pressure lamps flashed on briefly, just the one time, on way to work this morning. Will see what happens over the weekend.

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2012, 08:49:50 am »
My esp tyre pressure and abs all come on at the moment (brake pad warning light is on but got new pads there to be fitted on sat),They onlu come on when ever they feel like it , hopeing its just 2 ball joints that i need or a abs sensor ? any one got any ideas ?  :laugh:

Offline tuglet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2012, 09:22:06 am »
My esp tyre pressure and abs all come on at the moment (brake pad warning light is on but got new pads there to be fitted on sat),They onlu come on when ever they feel like it , hopeing its just 2 ball joints that i need or a abs sensor ? any one got any ideas ?  :laugh:

Sounds a bit like mine, except I was getting power steering lamp instead of your ABS lamp. The VW master tech told me yesterday that intermittent faults - in his experience - are usually down to the wiring, not the sensors.

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2012, 10:29:28 am »
think it might have something to do with the abs ring being corroded on mine? hoping thats what it is cos i aint messing about with the wireing haha  :jumping: