Make a donation

Author Topic: Speed Camera gadgets  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
Re: Speed Camera gadgets
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 05:48:56 pm »
Sorry no audio alerts on RNS. I have a Talex for that side of things.

ah thats no good, i need audio alerts.  Talex???
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 05:59:23 pm by Janner_Sy »

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 06:41:57 pm »

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 07:06:34 pm »
If you've got an iPhone I'm sure there are apps you can download
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Cupra R

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2012, 07:31:58 pm »

Camera alert works well on the iPhone.

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2012, 07:48:44 pm »

Camera alert works well on the iPhone.

+1 camera alert is decent

Offline MarkMarked

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2012, 10:02:04 pm »
+1 for the PogoAlert+. I used to have a Road Angel but find the Pogo far better and less intrusive

I also have speed cameras on my RNS with red light cameras but only use it as a backup to my Pogo

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2012, 04:15:57 am »

Im on an Android phone, but no doubt there will be an App for it. ill have to have a search  onthe Ppp marketwhen i get back to the UK.

Talex http://www.talex.co.uk/

Cheers Ian. How do you rate the Talex?

Inforad by far best one, £50 from halfords, can't be doing with stuff on dash, had mine few years, works all over Europe and free updates.

I like the look of this one.  Plus with free updates for life, its worthwhile as well.

the Pogo + is way overpriced from what i can see, and it needs a subscription.  Im not bothered about the additi0nal features, just a camera locator with an audio alert.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2012, 06:34:44 am »
Talex is Ok Sy. Like anything it is only as good as the updates and I must admit mine isn't the most up to date due to a lack of effort.  :ashamed:

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2012, 07:01:27 am »
Evening all

My Tom Tom has had the speed camera alerts on it and in all honesty i reckon it has saved me from getting points on many occassion, but its now ancient and prone to stopping working all together.

Plus vRS_Alex has kindly sold me a Columbus stereo with NAV for my car.  So im thinking it might be worthwhile to buy a speed camera detector that can stay fitted in the car permanently.

Any body use these, are there any legality issues i need to look into before deciding on the best option?

Sy
.............don't most sat nav units display the road speed you are traveling on?. My old Garmin did & the Pioneer unit i have now does. Stick to the limits & no need for a camera detector?.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2012, 08:05:20 am »

Stick to the limits & no need for a camera detector?.

....In principle I agree with you but having a Speed Camera alert system is just that: An alert which is a real world aid to driving more safely. They are called "Safety Cameras".

For example, with or without speed cameras being present I rigidly stick to the 20,30,40 zones and most 50 mph stretches but there are plenty of zones which keep swopping and changing between 40 and 30 limits and signs can be missed, so the result is that one can be caught off-guard somewhat unfairly. The alerts also serve as a reminder, although it is much easier to keep an eye on the large digital speed display of a PogoAlert than the OEM speedo dial (which is inaccurate anyway!). There are also plenty of areas where there are 60 and 70 limit cameras (usually Truvelo's) and I tend to use my common sense and judge the road conditions and traffic levels without necessarily sticking to those limits. SPECS and gantry speed cameras are other devices it is helpful to be aware of. Temporary speed limit zones such as roadworks etc should always be adhered to without question.

Awareness of mobile speed camera locations (in the 50, 60 and 70 mph zones) is perhaps the most helpful feature.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!