Make a donation

Author Topic: Grand designs  (Read 4860 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Grand designs
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2012, 10:30:41 am »
I didn't mind the house but how on earth that got accepted as it's hardly "in keeping" with those around it.

I think in most cases the juxtaposition of cutting edge modern architecture alongside period buildings is more successful than trying to make a new building "fit in".

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2012, 01:13:46 pm »
Did like this episode, the woman was high and for me client from hell, asks her ex husband architect to design it up, architect budget is 50% out despite this forming part of your architectural training not thinking to get a QS to provide him costs, he then jumps ship (can't blame him) and then they are not friends

For me the wingers houses were of little architectural merit, old yes but not outstanding, I liked what they did on the whole but peoople make the classic mistake of not using colour when going minimilist look, in Britain we are stuck in this quaint old period style approach.

Huf houses just look a bit to modular for me and kit of parts ish, baufritz have some design quality, love the concept as this though

All comes down to taste in the end, my current work playground is a world heritage site with some iconic buildings but the one that I like most is one of the smallest and about 5 years old, however, I do however have respect for the others

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2012, 01:20:39 pm »

Huf houses just look a bit to modular for me and kit of parts ish, baufritz have some design quality, love the concept as this though

I agree about Huf Haus. The modular nature means little or no individuality. Love the concept, but for it to make true sense affordability needs to be part of the formula.

New build properties in the UK are a disgrace. Our towns and cities are being filled with vile housing estates consisting of 4 storey houses with terrible layouts.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2012, 09:08:11 pm »
Tonights looks quite interesting.  :scared:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2012, 10:10:31 pm »
That was absolutely stunning, and amazing value for money IMO.