Make a donation

Author Topic: RS3 v Golf R  (Read 3909 times)

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
Re: RS3 v Golf R
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2012, 11:04:09 pm »
I had a good 20minute test drive today in a 62 plate with 2500 miles on it, from five oaks Audi. It was a very basic spec, but quite competitive at £38991. I turned up open minded, not wanted to like what in my eyes was quite a dated A3 with a nice lairy engine.......

From the moment it started I was impressed, memories of my RS4 came flooding back.  On the road it felt very composed, whilst driving normally to warm it up, suspension is hard but very compliment, and the exhaust noise was lovely. Once it had warmed up, I pushed the lever in manual mode, and flicked the paddle back into 2nd gear at approx 35 mph and floored the throttle....OMG, what a noise and the acceleration is just ferocious, and the grip, on the occasionally damp roads, was unbelievable.  Having only covered 2500 the engine felt tight, and I'm sure with another 10,000 miles under the bonnet, it would loosen up nicely. The test drive lasted 25 minutes or so, covering a number of different roads, of fairly hard driving, but never above 3 figures, and I was suitably impressed at the end to see the mpg around the 23 mark! Not far off what the Ed35 would be. Cruising on the motorway at approx 75-80 was very relaxed due to the 7th gear. And on the subject of gearboxes in manual mode it will happily bounce of off the rev limiter until you flick the paddle - it was nice to have full control.

What I car, I want one, I'm feeling the Ed35 will go up for sale first thing tomorrow, but I'd also like to drive the M135, which I've got coming in a couple of weeks, but I just don't know how it will better the RS3.  Coupled with the great residuals, the RS3 could be quite e performance car bargain for me.

Spec wise, what do I want?;

Colour - Misano red, Daytona grey or white (loving Misano best, which is strange as I've never been a red car fan)
Bose
Rain and light pack - used to it on previous cars
Interior light pack - nice to have
Matt aluminium styling pack - in my view finishes off the front of the car
Buckets would be nice but not essential
Titanium wheels, although I could refurb other colours to match
Cruise - although this can be added
Privacy - not essential though, as my youngest is now 3.
Adaptive headlights - because I'm used to them, although I do very little night driving
Electric folding mirrors

To be fair looking back on that list, it looks like I'd be happy with a fairly basic spec! Haha

Anyone want to buy a fully loaded (bar sunroof and suspension) Golf GTI Edition 35 5 door DSG with 9000 miles?...........
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline Poverty

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2012, 12:20:28 am »
IIRC the rs3's come pretty well specced as standard

Offline wigit

• Thank You
  • -Given: 129
  • -Receive: 42
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: October 17, 2012, 09:02:36 pm »
Chris Harris review of M135 v RS3

BMW just need to release a 2 door coupe version

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: October 17, 2012, 10:06:37 pm »
Chris Harris review of M135 v RS3

BMW just need to release a 2 door coupe version

Interesting video. Is Chris being paid by BMW, as he rarely says a nice thing about the RS3. I actually think he comes accross as a bit of a cock in that video.  The RS3 has got pretty good reviews elsewhere.....he just doesn't seem to want to drive the RS, just understeer (exaggerating) it everywhere. It was quicker though??

Anyway that M135i doess look interesting and it is on the short list, however it's not an RS model, and I love the RS models. Still I think a test drive is in order.....

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #34 on: October 17, 2012, 10:12:56 pm »
The RS3 has got pretty good reviews elsewhere.....

It's had a fair amount of negative reviews too though... To be honest I can't remember reading a really good review of it, other than from people on VAG forums...

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 10:17:15 pm »
The best thing about the RS3 is that you can let your wife loose in it whilst she has the kids, and you know that they will be safe. Nice and easy to drive brisk with the quattro, grip and dual clutch tranny.  :signLOL:

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: October 17, 2012, 10:18:05 pm »
Agreed with Andrew, and I'm talking from someone looking to get one, so slightly biased, but it was completely negative, with hardly a positive word.

Anyway just my tuppence as always.  Lucky we are all different
« Last Edit: October 17, 2012, 10:20:04 pm by Oli »

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: October 17, 2012, 10:20:43 pm »
The best thing about the RS3 is that you can let your wife loose in it whilst she has the kids, and you know that they will be safe. Nice and easy to drive brisk with the quattro, grip and dual clutch tranny.  :signLOL:

And I think that is quite a lot of the attraction for me, that and the residuals are looking very good on it.

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
« Reply #38 on: October 17, 2012, 10:23:43 pm »

And I think that is quite a lot of the attraction for me, that and the residuals are looking very good on it.

Agree 100%, I let my GF drive APRs GolfR for example in the winter simply because of how easy it is drive. Its obviously something that needs to be thought of when buying a car that the partner will also use! VAG's just make the perfect all rounder IMO.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2012, 10:31:57 pm »
Really looking forward to your opinion on the M135i when you drive one Oli.

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2012, 10:34:29 pm »
Really looking forward to your opinion on the M135i when you drive one Oli.

Should be in the next few weeks.  It sounds amazing on the video. I loved the 1M when I drive it round Brands. Just wouldn't work for the wife -manual, 3 doors and only a four seater!

Offline gobbleplease

• Thank You
  • -Given: 64
  • -Receive: 48
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2012, 10:44:39 pm »
That's how car reviews should be ! Chris Harris should have have his own show and you know what I think I've decided what I'm buying next, that car with a diff will be epic !
MK5 EDITION 30 - CW - REVO S2+ - GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN

MK7 GTI - ARRIVING DECEMBER

MK2 GTI - RB - 1.8T - GARAGE QUEEN