Make a donation

Author Topic: New Bike but not sure what to get  (Read 2078 times)

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
Re: New Bike but not sure what to get
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2012, 04:14:56 pm »
I'd love something retro like this Solus Yamaha SR500 by Lossa Racing  :notworthy:

....might not float your boat...

Fantastic :happy2: Don't think my back will take it these days though!

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2012, 04:16:37 pm »
triumph street triple r! great noise, torque of v twin but smoothness of in line 4 and supporting local economy!

Paul

Not ruled this out, Triumph dealer very close to me so will try one as well as the Speed Triple :happy2:

Offline MattPoss

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 9
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2012, 08:39:46 pm »
We've got an R1 and an R6 but our latest purchase was an XT660x for the same reason as yourself, we wanted something totally different

It's got nowhere near the power of the sports bikes (and it's a fair bit off a KTM) but its a completely different ride altogether. The KTM's were really holding their money so we got this at 2 and a half years old with 3800 miles on, full R&G protection, Bash Plate and paid £3200 with a full service and a new set of fork seals in it. for the money it's been brilliant, if the roads are dry the sports bikes are out but as soon as its damp the XT comes out and is great fun

Matt
Mk5 Golf GTI - DSG, BBS VZ's, S3 Front Brakes, Electric Seats, R32 Rear Lights, Xenon's, Colour Coded........

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2012, 06:41:59 am »
We've got an R1 and an R6 but our latest purchase was an XT660x for the same reason as yourself, we wanted something totally different

It's got nowhere near the power of the sports bikes (and it's a fair bit off a KTM) but its a completely different ride altogether. The KTM's were really holding their money so we got this at 2 and a half years old with 3800 miles on, full R&G protection, Bash Plate and paid £3200 with a full service and a new set of fork seals in it. for the money it's been brilliant, if the roads are dry the sports bikes are out but as soon as its damp the XT comes out and is great fun

Matt

Thanks Matt will check it out, looks like I am going to be a busy boy when I get back, tests rides in January won't be much fun though, but I should be in a good position as a cash buyer during this time :happy2:

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2012, 09:03:52 am »
If I was in your position rather than going full on motard It would be between 2 bikes...

Speed Triple   :drool: :drool: :drool:

Tuono R   :drool: :drool: :drool:

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2012, 09:23:10 am »
Tuono R has been top of my list for a while, plenty to choose from on ebay. Rode an original one years ago and need a refresher!

Triumph dealer really close so looking forward to testing the Street and Speed Triple. I think the street will be a bit small for me at 6ft 2.

As I said I will keep my options open, come on January :jumpmove:

Offline GTImike

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
  • Back in a Golf - Mk7 R
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2012, 09:37:08 am »
Nice predicament to be fair! I sold my last bike in January this year and do miss them but promised my wife I'd stay safe and on four wheels for the forseeable.

I'd be looking at the 1198 Hypermotard as an option, as dare I say it the smaller cc version feels a bit weezy in comparison. A friend had the 1198s and I borrowed it for a weekend a while ago, very accomplished bike, great riding position, great looks etc.

The KTM 690 isnt a bad bike but motorways aren't friends with single cyld lumps. I had the older Duke 2 640cc a good while ago and it hated motorway journeys, also had a CCM R30 for a while and lastly a balls out Husaberg 501 full race motard (total animal - 60bhp 100kg short geared mono-cycle  :driver:) so speak from experience with a numb crotch. Aprillia Dorsoduro not too bad if you want the supermoto styling with a twin engine?

Other than that, the new-ish multistrada is supposed to be a fantastic all rounder with 150bhp on tap

Just my two pennies worth!! Enjoy whatever you choose.

2008/58 Tornado Red Edition 30 (No. 1853) 5dr DSG - Gone but never forgotten
2017/66 Tornado Red Golf R 5D - Lasted 6 months before being sold on
Still have a TFSI in the family - 2009/59 Audi S3 8P facelift Stage 2 tuned
Oh and a Mk1 Golf GTI cabriolet

Offline monte

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2012, 01:03:25 pm »
Tuono R has been top of my list for a while, plenty to choose from on ebay. Rode an original one years ago and need a refresher!

Triumph dealer really close so looking forward to testing the Street and Speed Triple. I think the street will be a bit small for me at 6ft 2.

I was in the same boat mate. I'm 6ft1 and I felt the triple was too small.

I would have really liked a buell but they are tiny.  :grin:

I'm afraid u r gonna have to get the Tuono R then  :jumpmove: :jumpmove: :jumpmove:

I had quite a few CBR's. 03 600f, 04 600RR, 05 1000RR, and then when I could no longer ride sports bikes I got an 06 Vrod.

......a black 2003 CBR 600f out of the question???

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2012, 01:04:29 pm »
Nice predicament to be fair! I sold my last bike in January this year and do miss them but promised my wife I'd stay safe and on four wheels for the forseeable.

I'd be looking at the 1198 Hypermotard as an option, as dare I say it the smaller cc version feels a bit weezy in comparison. A friend had the 1198s and I borrowed it for a weekend a while ago, very accomplished bike, great riding position, great looks etc.

The KTM 690 isnt a bad bike but motorways aren't friends with single cyld lumps. I had the older Duke 2 640cc a good while ago and it hated motorway journeys, also had a CCM R30 for a while and lastly a balls out Husaberg 501 full race motard (total animal - 60bhp 100kg short geared mono-cycle  :driver:) so speak from experience with a numb crotch. Aprillia Dorsoduro not too bad if you want the supermoto styling with a twin engine?

Other than that, the new-ish multistrada is supposed to be a fantastic all rounder with 150bhp on tap

Just my two pennies worth!! Enjoy whatever you choose.

Cheers, thanks for the input, I was a bit hesitant at first asking the question on a car forum but have been mighty impressed by the responses :happy2: Good to see that we are not just Gti  :rolleye:

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2012, 01:08:29 pm »

I was in the same boat mate. I'm 6ft1 and I felt the triple was too small.

I would have really liked a buell but they are tiny.  :grin:

I'm afraid u r gonna have to get the Tuono R then  :jumpmove: :jumpmove: :jumpmove:

I had quite a few CBR's. 03 600f, 04 600RR, 05 1000RR, and then when I could no longer ride sports bikes I got an 06 Vrod.

......a black 2003 CBR 600f out of the question???

Always had large capacity sports bikes except for a CBR400 RR which I bought for peanuts and sold for a massive profit (it was way to small).

Tuono or larger capacity hypermotard seems to be the route I am probably going with the odd rideout with the wifey on the back. :smiley:

Offline v6yna

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2012, 12:02:47 am »
The KTM, i had a superduke 990 and loved every minute of it!