Make a donation

Author Topic: starting night shift need advice  (Read 1918 times)

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
starting night shift need advice
« on: October 15, 2012, 02:28:09 pm »
starting the grave shift tonightstart at 9.30pm finish at 8am only two nights a week as some extra pocket money etc etc

anyone got any tips? e.g. sleep in your hour break, eat alot? what to eat sleep before shift etc etc

im usually up till late and up early anyway but not doing manual work as such so am a bit worried about burning out.

thanks

Offline DFish

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 14
Re: starting night shift need advice
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 02:32:12 pm »
It all depends how your body reacts to it. You'll have to give it a couple of times and go from there. When I'm working night shifts I find the first night by body wants to sleep regardless if I slept during the day or not. Food wise, just dont go junking up on sugar.

Fish

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 02:35:26 pm »
thanks fish, didnt think sugar was the way forward so have already made a nice batch of pasta to eat on my break. might get some oat snack bars or something aswell.

Offline MarkMarked

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 02:39:51 pm »
On my night shifts I find it easy to sleep during the day, and just eat as normal, get up in the afternoon, have breakfast, lunch at work around 11PM, then a light meal when I get home in the morning with a beer while everyone else is having breakfast. Then sleep. The only downside I find is to get back into day mode after my night shifts finish

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 02:41:45 pm »
On my night shifts I find it easy to sleep during the day, and just eat as normal, get up in the afternoon, have breakfast, lunch at work around 11PM, then a light meal when I get home in the morning with a beer while everyone else is having breakfast. Then sleep. The only downside I find is to get back into day mode after my night shifts finish

thats the part im not looking forward too is going back to do the day job, luckily my partner is understanding and doesnt mind too much if i only com in the afternoon so mich try get back for 830 sleep till 1 and then finish the working day off and bed early like a child

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 02:59:54 pm »
I sleep normally on the night before my shift, go about my day then have a 2-3hr nap, get up, eat an evening meal and then hit work. If I'm starting to waver I'll have a can of Monster (but not after 3am because otherwise I struggle to sleep when I get back).

I usually don't sleep as much as normal during the week of nights, but I try and do other things as normally as possible e.g. gym.

On the last night you'll find you're not as tired anyway, but don't sleep when you get back and treat it as a "day off" so go about business as normal. Then sleep at a normal time, or maybe an hour or two earlier. This way I find my body clock instantly reverts back.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2012, 04:50:45 pm »
Warn your partner you'll be GRUMPY after you have done them !
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2012, 05:55:12 pm »
I hate nights and will do anything to get out of them. As some have said the first one is the worst. If I have to do them I work 10pm till 7am. i usually hit the wall around 3am where I just can't keep my eyes open. I do find though it can all be in the mind. If my shift partner is off and I know I have to a full week, if your in the right mind it can be easier.

Offline dan1985

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 11
    • Durham Collective
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2012, 06:17:44 pm »
Never had a problem working nights, you just seem to get used to it 7pm - 7am. We have the radio on as it seems to pass the time quicker

www.durhamcollective.co.uk  
North East VAG Owners Club

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2012, 07:05:13 pm »
After your last night shift only allow yourself to have a few hours sleep. Its the only way to break the routine of sleeping all day, being awake all night  :happy2:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2012, 07:14:05 pm »
After your last night shift only allow yourself to have a few hours sleep. Its the only way to break the routine of sleeping all day, being awake all night  :happy2:
...........spot on. Nights are not good for me & i hate them. We do x2 12hr days & then x2 12hr nights & then 4 off. Been doing it almost 10 years & still can't get used to the nights. I have my meal around 17:00 then when working on nights just eat fruit as i find the last thing i want at 2 0r 3 in the morning is a big meal.
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline mortygttdi

• Thank You
  • -Given: 44
  • -Receive: 146
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2012, 09:28:06 pm »
Been doing the gravy shift for 10 years now start Monday 10pm till 6am right through to Saturday morning I work through my dinner and finish at 5:15am I eat normally so no massive meals while at work cos it will make you tired...

Offline nezquick

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2012, 12:42:39 pm »
thanks for all the adive. didnt go to badly. slept for a few hours and now awake feel a bit groggy but waking up with ever cuppa ill be sleeping like a kid tonight